Motherboard
Asus X99 Deluxe
CPU
Intel i7 5930K
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming
IMG_7694_zpscmhmaxyj.jpg
IMG_9640_zpswwt2hsjc.jpg

First time "Hackintoshing," I'm stuck at the boot loader. Please read whole post so to not repeat troubleshooting ideas.

Specs: Asus X99 Deluxe, i7 5930k, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming. Clean install on a blank 1TB SSD. A separate SSD is running Win 10.

Followed this tutorial up to this point: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.144426/ Except the optional step 26 talking at adding DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml, which I have no idea what that is and it didn't explain it. First time Hackintoshing.

Vanilla Yosemite with a Clover Bootloader. Replaced config.plist file with NVIDIA flavored one from the above article.

Kexts in boot loader 10.10 Folder: FakeSMC.kext, IntelMausiEthernet.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, VoodooTSCSync.kext (Intel 6 core specific version)

Bios Settings: Disabled Secure Boot, VT Disabled, ACHI Mode

Clover settings:

Kernel Haswell-E Patch, PM Patch, and AppleRTC Patch checked. Kext Patching Allowed. (It appears you no longer need to pre patch X99 for Clover, multiple forum posts have people saying Clover supports the Asus X99 Deluxe MB)

Tried the following Boot Args:

• npci=0x2000 (blank screen)
  • kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0 (blank screen)
  • -v-x npci=0x2000 (gets to a bunch of + signs and then stops and does nothing)
  • npci=0x2000 -v (gets to a bunch of + signs and then stops and does nothing)
  • GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1 maxmem=4096 maxmem=8192 npci=0x2000 (blank screen)
  • -v -x GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1 maxmem=4096 maxmem=8192 npci=0x2000 (Boot Failed)
  • -v -x nv_disable=1 kext-dev-mode=1 (Boot Failed)
  • -v -x nv_disable=1 kext-dev-mode=1 maxmem=4096 -no-zp (Boot Failed)
  • -v -x nv_disable=1 kext-dev-mode=1 -no-zp (Boot Failed)

Other boot flag ideas? Bios settings? I'm pretty much stumbling around in the dark at the moment.

Last edited:
I went back to the Clover EFI installer and added These two options:

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-05%20at%2012.15.09%20AM_zpsm8pocti3.png

I then used boot flag -v -x nv_disable=1 kext-dev-mode=1 and it appeared to work and got to this screen:

IMG_4290_zpsdxqvjzv5.jpg

But then it just started a loop It sat at that screen and then would restart and go to Clover with a countdown timer to boot to the OS X installer but then would loop back around and around.

Added OsxLowMemFixDrv to the EFI and changed SMBIOS to iMac 14,1.

• Tried Boot Flag -v -x nv_disable=1 kext-dev-mode=1 and started the processes text and then crashed.
  • Tried Boot flag npci=0x2000 and that booted about half way across the Apple screen before crashing.
  • Tried Boot flag npci=0x2000 -v and that loaded a ton of text of processes, but eventually that crashed and restarted too.
  • Tried boot flag npci=0x2000 -v nv_disable=1 and it loaded the most text processes but then hangs at the point in the photo.
  • Tried boot flag npci=0x2000 -v -x nv_disable=1 and started the processes text and then crashed.
IMG_4587_zpsr8bxgv9i.jpg

Tried npci=0x2000 -v nv_disable=1 maxmem=4096 and we have lift off! I hope.... Made it through the text section and through the Apple logo loading section to the recovery/install OS or whatever you want to call it. The OS appears to be installing now:

IMG_4768_zpsvtg4srkr.jpg

IMG_9121_zpskcyj7slh.jpg

So close but yet so far. It hung at the end of the install and then there was a black wipe down and then some text that I think essentially said it time out or something. It then restarted itself. I'll try again.

IMG_7416_zpsmskznlms.jpg

Got in and installed and now have a shaky OS X Yosemite running.

Some challenges though. Clover doesn't seem to properly install on the operating system's SSD. So when I restart without the USB in it just goes to bios. It still needs the USB for now.

Last edited:
Working notes:

To see the disk EFIs: Open Terminal and run: diskutil list

To mount an EFI: diskutil mount /dev/disk0s1 (with the appropriate disk number)

Also a note on boot flags: Oddly, npci=0x2000 -v nv_disable=1 maxmem=4096 works sometimes, and npci=0x2000 -v nv_disable=1 maxmem=8192 seems to work other times.

Post Install issues. The EFI on the "Macintosh SSD" I have Yosemite installed on seems to be blocking Clover in some way. It won't let me install a Clover boot loader to it. Even if I pre mount the SSD's EFI. In fact it installs it to the regular partition on the SSD instead. Check the photos, no clover in the EFI, but it's there in the main partition. Tried a couple recent versions of Clover.

I tried manually adding the Clover Install from the main partition to the EFI, but it didn't show up on boot.

I tried following a tutorial on repairing an EFI partition, but it didn't help the next time I tried the Clover install.

Thoughts on enabling Clover to Install to the EFI?

IMG_6549_zpsrmttjxv5.jpg

IMG_0476_zpsipcqmnjy.jpg

IMG_8682_zpsv29itnwc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back