Contribute
Register

Strongest Build for Premiere Pro and After Effects

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's up y'all? I'm new here, and I'm assuming this is a common question asked on this forum, so forgive the redundancy...

I would like to know if there is a guide for the current strongest build for a mac pro hackintosh specifically for rendering and processing power for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects. Currently I edit on my 2012 MacBook pro, which has 10GB or ram, and I'm waiting on another 8GB RAM stick to swap the 2GB Ram so I can max it out at 16GB Ram, however I'm sure that even that won't be strong enough to handle After Effects and Premiere Pro's rendering demands.

Any help? I'm looking to get like an i7 or even i9 with 64GB RAM or whatever is the strongest SSD capabilities..

Thanks everyone!

General Guidelines:

Get a Gigabyte or Asus mATX or ATX Z370 motherboard. Any of them with 4 ram slots can handle up to 64GB
https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersgu...ntosh-the-ultimate-buyers-guide/#Motherboards

Go with the i7-8700K CPU that can be easily overclocked to get i9 like performance. Buy a good CPU cooler, obviously.
Get the biggest Samsung or WD Black NVME drive that you can afford. 500 GB size is quite affordable.
Go with the best Nvidia graphics you can afford, the 1080 Ti should be coming down in price soon with newer Nvidia cards out.
Note that you'll need to use High Sierra and not Mojave to have driver support. Nvidia is very slow to release macOS drivers.

The i9/Z390 systems are so new that we really don't know how well they will work. If you want to experiment plan on spending more time troubleshooting to make everything work.

Last edited:
I would like to know if there is a guide for the current strongest build for a mac pro hackintosh specifically for rendering and processing power for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects. Currently I edit on my 2012 MacBook pro, which has 10GB or ram, and I'm waiting on another 8GB RAM stick to swap the 2GB Ram so I can max it out at 16GB Ram, however I'm sure that even that won't be strong enough to handle After Effects and Premiere Pro's rendering demands.

You're certainly a patient guy for doing AE and Prem projects on that!

After Effects favours high frequency CPU builds and is crap at using multiple cores, whereas Premiere is pretty good at making use of lots of cores. CPUs like i7-8700K or the new i7-9700K/i9-9900K are great because they have a good balance between high single thread performance and multi-thread performance. There's a few people on the forums here experimenting with Z390 builds, so if you're fine with troubleshooting, then i7 or i9/Z390 would be the best option. If you'd prefer a more straightforward experience and you need to buy the computer right now, then go with i7-8700K/Z370 because it's easy. You would really just be losing 2 cores, but you can make up for it with even some mild overclocking.

Both After Effects and Premiere love gobbling up as much RAM as you can feed them. Doubly so, if you're using Dynamic Linking in your projects. 64GB RAM would be a huge boost in productivity with that in mind.

GPU is a bit of a tricky proposition at the moment. If you're happy to stick with High Sierra until NVIDIA releases drivers for Mojave, then GTX 1080/1080Ti is a great option especially for Adobe apps. For a more 'native' experience, you could get a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB, although your performance in AE/Prem won't be as good.

I've been searching on youtube for good builds, and, honestly, I'm just not sure which one is best, although a few of them list their parts' Amazon links, and some of them, especially the motherboards would no longer be in stock, which is why i came here to find some answers. I'm going to look up these recommendations and see which ones I go with. If I can find a small tower instead of a big one that would be ideal because I travel a lot. It's amazing how demanding adding some after effects to visuals can be financially to the video editor!

Last edited by a moderator:
Running 10.13.6 on a Z370A Prime and i7-8700K with 64G DDR4.
Using 2 GTX 1080 Ti, and another GTX 1080. the System accept them with no issues.

But, in Adobe After Effects it will ignore the GPU's, saying OPEN GL wont run on the system.. then it crashes..
When running with only one GPU, all is good.

Any suggestions here?

What's up y'all? I'm new here, and I'm assuming this is a common question asked on this forum, so forgive the redundancy...

Any help? I'm looking to get like an i7 or even i9 with 64GB RAM or whatever is the strongest SSD capabilities..

Thanks everyone!
for several years I recognised the need for at least 6 cores x79 or x99 or XEON CPU for Premiere Pro and After Effects....with the advent of 8th GEN i7 Intel processors I believe that need has gone.....and you can do very well with an 8700k processor I would also state that there is not vast advantage in having any more than 16gb ram.....if you properly examine benchmarks you do not get incredible speed improvement with 64 ram over having just 16gb. The key thing to improve rendering and encoding is ULTRA fast SSD and NVIME is worthwhile ...so simply buy a motherboard that takes SSD similar to SAMSUNG 970 M2 to give you some idea of disk speed an average SSD drive with read and write at around 400mbs yet the latest SAMSUNG with run at 3000mbs or even greater ...it all depends on what your budget is.....simply a motherboard similar any Gigabyte z370 motherboard with an 8700k CPU....16gb ram.....and I would still say preferably NVIDIA 980 or later BUT IF YOU CHOOSE NVIDIA you need to stick with HIGH SIERRA and not go with MOJAVE.....the plus with Nvidia running under HIGH SIERRA is that with Premiere you have the choice of running and encoding using CUDA or apple METAL or CL and there are still advantage to running CUDA if you use PHOTOSHOP...........

BUT BUT BUT..........if you want an EASY fairly trouble free Hackintosh installation go instead for an AMD RX 580 Graphics Card

Below is an almost PAINLESS low cost way to create a very adequate machine for running ADOBE PREMIERE, AFTER EFFECTS and Photoshop

GIGABYTE Z370 M D3H or better
8700k CPU
16gb ram
SAMSUNG 970 M2 SSD
RADEON RX 580

you can do this for under 1000 euros........NEVER skip on the quality of your POWER supply...NEVER skip on the quality of your cooling...I see no benefit in WATER COOLING......because you still need case several case fans and this drastically increases NOISE........with a good quality AIR cooler you can get away with ONE fan for the COOLER and just one external FAN for exhaust at the back of the machine

At moment I think it is too early to move to MOJAVE.......usually best to go for the LAST interation of the previous operating system when they bring out a new SYSTEM so now go for HIGH SIERRA 10.13.6........when apple move to the next operating system after Mojave go for Mohave 10.14.6

It always takes at least 6 months to sort out the bugs and problems in a new operating system.....be one year behind the curve and you should experience far more reliability plus through this 6 or 9 months other vendors sort out DRIVERS properly...........hope this is helpful to you

In 2019 to my mind it is simply not worth all the hassle of trying to put together a x299 machine...unless you want to go completely over the top and spend 1500 plus on an ultra high end processor and vast amounts of RAM

Last edited:
STICK with HIGH SIERRA until at least AUTUMN 2019
INTEL 8700k is an outstanding processor and no real merit for going for more expensive than this....UNLESS you want to go over the top with an x299 system.....for several years I ran with Hackintosh x79 systems ......endless tinkering and 4 days to create a stable Hackintosh. With INTEL 8700k and Gigabyte z370 with RADEON rx 580 only a few hours..over a period of several years I have found a far greater compatibility with GIGABYTE motherboards over any other manufacturer when it comes to HACKINTOSH.....with the recent z370 build the installation was so easy that you could almost imagine that is was APPLE who made the motherboard

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back