N/A
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
On my g4 graphite there is one of the case bolts that has a stripped head. This is one of the ones that keep the two plastic side panels on. i've tried a few methods, none that worked. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get it out.

thank you

A pic would help determine the best method.

hmm, if you have a replacement already sourced for the stripped bolt you might be able to remove it by using a cutting wheel to cut a shallow notch into the top of the bolt (be careful not to cut your plastic) and then use a flat head screw driver to remove the bolt. baring that the only other method I can think of that would probably be safe would be to use a drill bit (not sure which diameter to recommend) to drill thru the top of the bolt which should separate it from the screw shaft which you can then remove with a pair of pliers by twisting it and threading it the rest of the way thru the hole in the case.

I've had to use a similar method in the past to remove stripped screws for server rail nuts in a server cabinet for the second suggestion. The only difference for them is once the screw head is removed then it's possible to remove the back piece from the back of the cabinet's hole slot so there isn't a need to thread the screw thru the rest of the way, just remove the back piece and toss it in the trash.

or if you have it handy I've seen kits to use to remove screws where a tap is screwed into the screw head and then used to twist the screw to remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back