RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
"What we have here is a failure to communicate..."

On two of my three computers, inputting the Terminal command in the screenshot below, returns a listing of kexts with comments. But on the computer at left, running Mojave 10.14.6 and using the HFS+ file system (same as the other two running High Sierra) I get the posted result. It's one of those typical computer responses that is true, but means nothing to me. As far as I know, there is no such directory on the computer, so why does Terminal "think" it was asked to find one?

Can anyone draw any conclusions from Terminal's response? And tell me what I should do about it? (The computer works fine.)
Thanks for reading.
Terminal Result.jpg

Running the inputs separately:
Terminal Result 2.jpg

Last edited:
When you use the kextcache command, it is mentioning an optiinal location for kexts in its output. That seems reasonable.

If you search the web for "How is the /AppleInternal directory hidden from users on macOS?" you'll find an explanation that this folder supports development both within Apple and sypports XCode iOS development. It is normally not present, but can exist as a both reference and a referent depending on development tools.

IOW parts of macOS may look for it but it need not exist. I didn't see any explanations of config triggers that lead to its appearance, but others on web note that it may appear in boot log.

Thanks for your reply, c-o-pr. I read your link, so apparently there's no problem, except that I expected a similar long listing of my kexts in /System/Library/Extensions to what I see when I run that same Terminal command in either of my High Sierra computers ("Mini-ITX 1" and "Mini-ITX 3" below). Why doesn't that exist in Mojave? For instance, running it on my Haswell computer, the list included a comment on "AppleHDA.kext" that it had a bad signature, and also that there was an "AppleIntel1000e" kext that was unsigned. That enabled me to delete the Ethernet kext since I have IntelMaui.kext and don't need the other, and after I "fixed" the AppleHDA.kext I could see that that problem had disappeared. On Mojave, does Terminal have some other capability to show comments on kexts?

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your questions. Sry.

To be clear, as you search for more info, it's not the "terminal" you want to know more about, Terminal is just the program which provides a window which hosts a shell so you can operate the command kextcache program. So "Terminal" is not pertinent to your queries.

You can learn more about the kextcache program by entering "man kextcache" and see a list of its options, basic purpose and behavior, etc., maybe some notes that could explain what you are seeing or not seeing.

As to why the list s populated in certain ways under certain version of macOS, I don't know. hth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back