Contribute
Register

Strange problem with gsync

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having the same issue. Dual boot. Windows 10 on its own SSD and MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3 with Nvidia web driver .104 (the latest driver causes terrible graphics lags) on its own SSD. Acer predator xb271hu monitor.

I noticed in Windows 10 that G Sync feature was all of a sudden missing from GeForce Control Panel or whatever it is called.
Unplugging the Displayport cable and plugging it back in while I'm in Windows 10 pops up a message "G Sync monitor enabled monitor detected" or something like that and then the feature is back. I tested it and unless I do this, G Sync is indeed NOT enabled in games. Really annoying. I was suspecting it is related to my hachintosh but wasn't sure. Now I'm sure of it, seeing that others report the same issue.

G-Sync is disabled in NVIDIA Driver Manager (System Preferences) so I thought maybe I need to enable it in MacOS as well. But, if I enable it, the system freezes completely within a few seconds and the only way out is restart. While G Sync is enabled, once MacOS loads again, it freezes right after typing my password. The only way I found to disable G Sync is by disabling NVIDIA web driver in Clover boot screen and once I'm in MacOS, delete folder /Library/PreferencePanes/NVIDIA\ Driver\ Manager.prefPane and restart. It would be great to hear if there's a better way to disable G Sync once it has been enabled already and freezes MacOS.

There was a moment when I thought I managed to get it to work with G Sync after I changed the monitor refresh rate to 144Hz. It was originally set to 60Hz. But, at some point after a few minutes it froze once again :/

Does anybody here have by any chance G Sync enabled in MacOS and still experiencing the issue on Windows 10? I'd like to know if it has any affect on this.

Uninstalling Nvidia Web Driver is out of the question. MacOS is unusable without it.

EDIT: I found out there's another post in the forums where there are many others experiencing the same issue https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...fter-booting-into-os-x-yosemite.170092/page-3

Last edited:
Hi everyone !

I just ordered a G-Sync monitor for my hackintosh, a 7700K with a 1080 Ti.
I'm wondering if you found a solution, and also if some people don't have this problem, or if it's definitely a bug that happens to everyone.
(positive replies would be helpful :) )

I'll wait before I enable G-Sync on macos !

thanks !

Reporting the same problem. When coming from macOS and booting Windows, G-Sync is disabled. Coming from Windows directly into Windows leaves G-Sync enabled.

Workaround: unplug monitor cable and plug back in.

Hi guys ! I have the same issue and I found another workaround, instead of reboot use shutdown on macOS, then boot again on windows, Gsync will show up !

thanks

Interesting -- that doesn't work for me. I have to actually power down and then power up the monitor for this to work.

Hi guys ! I have the same issue and I found another workaround, instead of reboot use shutdown on macOS, then boot again on windows, Gsync will show up !

thanks

Hey thanks, that worked for me.

Interesting -- that doesn't work for me. I have to actually power down and then power up the monitor for this to work.
Hey, I found out that as soon as you hit the reboot option on mac, even if you reboot mac to mac, afterwards if you shutdown then boot on windows, the issue will show up again, maybe it's something MacOs sends to the gpu while rebooting I don't know. However What I know is that if I always use shutdown, ALL the time, then it's alright. I just don't reboot at all anymore

Thanks

I think it’s normal: when you run Windows, and Gsync is turned on, that means there’s some kind of pairing process between the graphic card’s and the GSync module contained within the monitor; GSync technology is based on an electronic board with licensed technology to control dynamically the refresh rate of the screen. When Hackintosh is launched, there’s a lot of virtual hardware emulated to get the OS works, like NVRam and so on, so if the pairing has been done within MacOS and a patched/virtual graphic card unofficially supported, when you go back to windows the monitor sees a new graphic card, the real graphic card, and you have to enable GSync again to make the pairing again... This is my opinion, based on technical articles I grabbed around the web when I was looking after a way to make an add-on module to make any monitor GSync compliant

This is something of an old thread but I think you're on to something here. I have been having a problem where macOS will work fine with 2 monitors, one g-sync and one not. It'll work fine some of the time and then if I go to Windows and back to macOS, it'll freeze. I've tried everything I could think of until I decided just to unplug my second monitor.

The issue was that I was running macOS with no problems with my 1080. After using Windows for a while, I returned to macOS and the freezing started. Lots of troubleshooting later, I came across this thread. I'm going to do some more problem solving an see what's up.

I need to go into Windows and turn g-sync off so this doesn't get activated again. But before I do that, I'm going to go into Windows, leave g-sync on and return to macOS and see if I have the same problem.

edit: I booted into Windows and made sure that g-sync was on. I returned to macOS and g-sync over here is OFF. I was having the issue with my g-sync setting not being remembered in Windows. I'll have to back there and check to see if it's on. g-sync ON did survive a reboot from Windows in Windows so the setting sticks at least some of the time.

edit 2: rebooted into Windows. G-sync is OFF. Power cycling the monitor enables it again. I wonder if shutting down power cycles the monitor and that's why some have noticed that shutting down from macOS fixes the problem. The key seems to be that g-sync needs to be OFF for macOS to work properly with 2 displays when one of them is a g-sync monitor.

Last edited:
Hey, I found out that as soon as you hit the reboot option on mac, even if you reboot mac to mac, afterwards if you shutdown then boot on windows, the issue will show up again, maybe it's something MacOs sends to the gpu while rebooting I don't know. However What I know is that if I always use shutdown, ALL the time, then it's alright. I just don't reboot at all anymore

Thanks
This thread hasn't been added to in a while, but I thought I'd mention that for me at least the problem has disappeared.

I've moved to whatevergreen.kext and Lilu to replace nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext (and Shiki) and moved all kexts to Library/Extensions from EFI/Clover/kexts/Other (keeping a copy of fakeSMC.kext in Clover of course).

Now in Windows my G-Sync monitor always shows G-Sync active after restarting following a MacOS session, without having to power cycle the display.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Hi there

I haven't set any particular options for Lilu/whatevergreen.

Have you definitely removed nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext and shiki.kext from both Library/Extensions and EFI/Clover/kexts/Other (following the correct procedure to remove from L/E of course)? Could they be lurking anywhere else (S/L/E for instance)?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back