CPU
i7-6700k LGA 1151
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11 Gig
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is a very unique issue and i would be surprised if i can get any community members to chime in on. Im basically posting this up for others to be aware of this issue and maybe one day we can find a solution for it.
Problem: I dual boot Windows 10 and Sierra. I have them both working 100% fine and on two seperate SSDs. I also have a 34 inch Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Ultrawide Gsync monitor. it works fine in both sierra and windows 10 but ive noticed lately that whenever i sign into sierra then reboot or shutdown the PC then boot into windows, the gsync function on my monitor is disabled. Nothing i do gets it to come back, ive tried reinstalling the drivers and rebooting. The only way i can get it to show up as gsync enabled again is to shut off the power to the monitor by unplugging and then restoring back the power. This happens 100% time i load into mac then into PC. If i have my gsync working fine on pc and never go into my mac side, i can reboot the pc 1000 times as long as i go right into windows and not sierra, my gsync is enabled and working fine. but as soon as i load into sierra, shut down or reboot then go into pc, the gsync gets disabled again and i have to cut out the power to the monitor again to have the gsync come back alive. Anyone else having this issue and ran into something similar?

Ive had the exact same problem yet no one seems to have the answer on the forums its driving me crazy, i think its similar to the issue with the clock not staying the same when you dual boot, hopefully a kext can be released to fix this

FWIW my experience is the same as yours, with an Acer XB321HK G-Sync display. I was blaming the display till I read your post!

Follow up: the issue does not occur (i.e. the monitor G-sync capability survives booting in and out of macOS) if Nvidia web drivers are not enabled in macOS. Obviously this isn't a satisfactory solution, but at least it narrows the problem down to something to do with the macOS Nvidia web driver.

wow.. thats good to know. Obviously we would prefer to use the nvidia drivers but at least we can turn it off if it becomes that annoying. i game in my PC alot. It may be worth me loosing my acceleration in graphics to keep my gsync in windows. i hope if anyone lese has any update they post here. will keep following this thread

I also had a different problem using GSync, I own a GTX1070 coupled to the same Asus pg348q monitor, everything was stable using NVidia Web driver until I enabled GSync: once enabled, my High Sierra desktop freezes randomly, in less than 5 minutes, after getting crazy I realized it started to occur after enabling GSync. So now, it remains off, I only set the monitor refresh rate to 100Hz, GSync support isn't mandatory since I don't play video games on my Hackintosh...

Yea. i had the same exact problem too. when i turn on g sync in High Sierra it, it freezes. i had to turn it off. But perhaps you arent looking at the other problem you may still be having. If you go into Sierra once. ( even if you have g sync off) then go into windows, your g sync would be disabled/off and it wont come back on. that is the real problem. If you have the same monitor as me, the way you can tell is the LED light on the monitor is white when g sync is off and its RED when g sync is activated.

I think it’s normal: when you run Windows, and Gsync is turned on, that means there’s some kind of pairing process between the graphic card’s and the GSync module contained within the monitor; GSync technology is based on an electronic board with licensed technology to control dynamically the refresh rate of the screen. When Hackintosh is launched, there’s a lot of virtual hardware emulated to get the OS works, like NVRam and so on, so if the pairing has been done within MacOS and a patched/virtual graphic card unofficially supported, when you go back to windows the monitor sees a new graphic card, the real graphic card, and you have to enable GSync again to make the pairing again... This is my opinion, based on technical articles I grabbed around the web when I was looking after a way to make an add-on module to make any monitor GSync compliant

Walle0, do you have just the ultrawide or more than one monitor, there was another thread where they indicated the lock up was related to having multiple monitors connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back