Graphics
MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR 8GB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey All,

I am hoping the collective brains trust might have an answer for this one...

I updated from High Sierra to Mojave this week (being the up to date guy I am) and am having what i think is an odd boot issue. For the update I:

1. Carbon Copy Cloned the running 10.13.x install (on Disc0, Container disc4) to a new SSD called 'Mojave' (Disc7, Container Disc8).
  2. Rebooted into 'Mojave'.
  3. Used Multibeast to make Mojave bootable (CCC does not seem to make an automatically identifiable boot drive).
  4. Rebooted.
  5. Ran a direct 10.14 update on 'Mojave'.

For the most part, it worked fine and I am typing this from 10.14 (less sound) but... I have noticed two strange things:

1: Even though I updated Clover to the latest version, it still says it's booting from the previous version.

2: If I disconnect the previous boot drive (Disc0, Container disc4), the system will not boot. So it seems it is oddly still referencing the Clover install on the old drive.

I have been through this install twice now, having done something odd to the last one while attempting to get sound on blew the boot time out to minutes. I noticed the above issues with the first update as well, but have decided to sort this side of it, so I can clone the install, before tacking the sound issues again.

I am sure it's something small, but any help/advice greatly appreciated and I have attached my config, just in case there's something in there that I can't see.

Cheers,

Gerard

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.1 KB · Views: 95
When you ran MulitBeast did you make sure you selected the Mojave EFI partition for the installation of Clover? It may have automatically selected the previous High Sierra drives EFI folder.

If you mount the EFI partition on your Mojave drive, what is present in the Partition, is there an EFI folder, which contains a Boot and Clover folder?

You can mount both EFI partitions and copy the EFI folder from your High Sierra EFI to the Mojave EFI, this should make the Mojave drive bootable with Clover.

If you have no sound you probably are missing Lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext, plus a working layout-id in your config.plist. As those three elements are required for your built-in Realtek Audio to work.

A copy of your Clover folder would be more helpful as the config.plist only shows part of the setup. In fact yours shows even less than normal. It is seriously devoid of any meaningful settings, and those that are present are really relevant. You don't want or need to be booting Legacy=First with your CFL system. Which SMBIOS are you using with your Coffee Lake system?

Before you think about updating to Catalina or Big Sur you need to get your Clover setup working a lot better and with fixes, patches etc, that will work with your system. I am surprised the current setup works.

A copy of your Clover folder would be more helpful as the config.plist only shows part of the setup. In fact yours shows even less than normal. It is seriously devoid of any meaningful settings, and those that are present are really relevant. You don't want or need to be booting Legacy=First with your CFL system. Which SMBIOS are you using with your Coffee Lake system?

Before you think about updating to Catalina or Big Sur you need to get your Clover setup working a lot better and with fixes, patches etc, that will work with your system. I am surprised the current setup works.

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the reply!

The machine's booting into the Mojave drive from Clover off the bat, just if I take out the old SSD, it does not. I've updated the SMBIOS via Clover to iMac 19.2, so that it matches the chipset and the new CLOVER folder from the mounted EFI is attached.

I've not updated sound as of yet (or tried to), as I want to sort this part out and then clone the drive, so I know I have a functioning install; the first attempt to fix sound did something very odd and boot times blew out into minutes.

And I'll get Mojave running nicely and sit on it for a little while before jumping into Big Sur :)

Cheers!

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 94
Bit of an update, after a bit of fooling around, the machine boots into Mojave without the previous High Sierra drive attached, so a success. Still no onboard sound, though I have followed all the guides.

Probably you are missing the correct layout ID for the Realtek audio codec. You also need to make sure the speakers you are connecting to your system are selected in the System Preferences > Sound > Output tab.

Probably you are missing the correct layout ID for the Realtek audio codec. You also need to make sure the speakers you are connecting to your system are selected in the System Preferences > Sound > Output tab.

So have done everything but no dice. I'll have another crack but if nothing I might leave it – I only have the headphones connected, with no onboard speakers, and when I want sound, I stream it over WI-FI. I might end up grabbing a USB speaker for the machine.

How do you know your audio is not working, if you don't have any speakers connected?

Which port are you connecting the Headphones to, front case or rear I/O plate port?

Screenshot 2021-08-18 at 16.31.25.png Rear I/O plate for Asus ROG Maximus Hero X

Which colour port(s) are you using?

Should be Green & Pink if headphones include a Mic. But just the Green port if headphones are audio out only.

This one I do have an answer for :) Sound out via the headphones was working fine in High Sierra. This time around, after trying the various methods for getting sound to run, no dice. I am not even seeing a 'Internal Speakers' setting in the sound pref pane.

The version of Clover you are running is probably a bit old for running Mojave. I would recommend you update to Clover_r5119. Copy of newer Clover installer for version r5119 is attached.

You need to watch for the Folder structure changes between the version you are currently using and r5119.

The drivers64 and drivers64UEFI have been replaced with a new folder named 'drivers', which contains the new BIOS and UEFI sub-folders. The UEFI folder should be populated for your UEFI system, using the new drivers available from the newer version of Clover. These are contained in the OFF sub-folder, which you choose to add as part of the Clover customisation.

Your current CLOVER folder lacks a number of what I would think of as essential elements for a Coffee Lake system.
  1. You are missing four SSDT's that are required for Mojave, Catalina +newer. Copies of the SSDT's are attached below.
    • SSDT-AWAC.aml
    • SSDT-EC-USBX.aml
    • SSDT-PLUG.aml
    • SSDT-PMC.aml
  2. You only have FakeSMC.kext present in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder. You have no other third-party kexts present in the EFI.
    • You need to read and follow the guidance for Third-Party kexts in macOS - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...an-sierra-high-sierra-mojave-catalina.268964/
    • This will have a bearing on your Audio not working, as it is not clear whether you have Lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext installed in your system, both of these are required for your Audio to work.
    • You should not have any third party kexts installed to /Library/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions folders.
  3. Your /CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder contains a number of drivers, which are only required if you are using FileVault.
    • AppleImageCodec-64.efi
    • AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi
    • AppleUITheme-64.efi
    • FirmwareVolume-64.efi
  4. You are using VBoxHfs.efi, HFSPlus.efi is a better and faster HFS+ driver.
Your config.plist is pretty much devoid of any meaningful entries, I am honestly surprised it boots macOS.

You should compare you current config.plist with the one I have attached, which would be suitable for a Coffee Lake system such as you are using.

Attachments

• config_19.2.plist.zip
    2.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Clover_r5119.zip
    8 MB · Views: 86
  • CFL-SSDTs.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 98
Hey Ed.

Thanks so much for this, I'll read through the guide again and start working things out; Mojave is running just fine apart from the sound. I did install Lilu and AppleALC via Kextbeast and they are kicking but clearly have missed something along the line... like those efi files! Could also explain why when I used Hackintool to update Clover, nothing's happened and it's still t's booting using an old version.

I'll poke around and systematically go through everything over the next few days.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back