Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI
CPU
i5
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hello all-
I have a gigabyte H77N-wifi MB with a i5 4 core processor. Clover boot-loader. This is a 3 way boot system (Two seperate drives. mavericks, el capitan and Win7). This config has worked for years. Lately, after running Win 7 and re-booting, I noticed the el capitan had a bit of a hard time loading but finally did. Ran great for days. Eventually, after several re-boots, it quit loading at all and would show broken apple logos in the top half of the monitor, then freeze or reboot. I then booted from mavericks and everything was to be expected. I used mavericks for several days. I tried to boot back into EC and found the same failure results as before. I then booted from mavericks several times more only to find the same issue that was starting to go on like EC. Eventually mavericks would not boot. I have repair thumb drives for each OS but they will not boot as the effect is the same. I booted back to Win7 and it failed. I decided to run Win7 in safe mode and this is where I am now. Win7 seems to run fine but no Apple OS will not boot on any media. They all go about half way or so and then the broken Apple logo appears. I don't want to limit my question but has Win7 modified my BIOS or something?

I have done most of the basic stuff, i.e., re-seated memory, removed MB battery, etc.

All input is appreciated.

Please post this in the proper area if this is not the place and send me an email.

Thank you

Going Bald

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD7-F7
CPU
W3670
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Probability is that an update to HS has dropped support for your graphics card. Roll HS back to earlier version or get a new Metal capable GPU. If using iGPU, look at the graphics support forum to find patch to enable CPU HD graphics.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI
CPU
i5
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Thank you for your reply. I don't know what this "update to HS" is. This particular system does not utilize a separate graphics card, it is all on the MB. As far as updates go, I have had this Hack going on 10 years now with very little trouble and have learned that if it's not broke, don't fix it. I never do updates and decline any auto updates. Now, as the display acts as it does, I do suspect something with the graphics. I do not suspect hardware but possibly a kext conflict as everything runs fine under Win7. Finally, as luck would have it, I looked to take a photo of the crash screen to post here but this time it booted into Mavericks as it normally would. Thus, this reply is posted while using Mavericks. Strange.

Please advise. Thank you in advance.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI
CPU
i5
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
This is a long read so be patient.

After a considerable amount of time, I can now boot into both Mavericks and El Capitan (two separate drives). Originally, I forgot to mention that the system has two monitors, one, DVI and the other is HDMI. A bit of the recovery process goes like this. As stated before, El Capitan started having a hard time booting followed by Mavericks. Eventually Mavericks failed altogether. Note, these are two separate hard drives. I decided to use my TonyMac Mavericks USB thumb drive to re-install Mavericks on its appropriate hard drive. While selecting the thumb drive as the boot option in Clover the system would boot into the setup welcome screen but the video appeared to be a split screen with two pointers and VERY over scanned. I mean the screen was very distorted with lines running horizontally through it and the pointers were about 1/2 - 3/4” tall. Naturally this was not useful to navigate through. After re-booting and also several times thereafter the system failed to load Clover and booted only from the El Capitan drive. Once booted into El Capitan I could see both the Mavericks hard drive an thumb drive were intact and they scanned without errors. I also noticed that the HDMI display was over scanned to the point where the menu bar and dock were not visible. Upon selecting System Preferences > Display, I found that the under scan bar was available but would not function no matter where the slider was positioned (with the exception of sliding to “off” and then I got the very distorted screen again). It also occurred to me that my DVI monitor was not working. While checking my DVI connection I found it a skewed. Upon correction, the under scan function started working properly on the HDMI monitor and the DVI monitor was functioning properly. I then re-booted and Clover loaded allowing me to choose my boot strategy. The Mavericks drive would boot then fail and freeze after ~191738241 nano seconds repeatedly. I then used my TonyMac Mavericks USB thumb drive to re-install Mavericks on its appropriate hard drive. Success. I now have both Mavericks and El Capitan for disposal at my finger tips. Now, the problem is that windows won’t load from P0:WD123XYZ on my El Capitan hard drive. Windows starts and the four globes come together and the system freezes to blue screen. So, on the flip side, has the Mac OS played games with my BIOS or the Win7 OS to prohibit IT from booting. Way early on before these issues I recall having a hard time with Win7 to install and function with this system.

All input is appreciated

Thank you in advance.

- rev -