Contribute
Register

Stork's Zorro Build: Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about HD 3000 graphics? I'm not going to be using a card with this.

I also hope for HD3000, as my MacBookPro 2011 has only integrated graphics and should be able to run it. (Will try to install on my GA-Z68x-UD3h on a spare-SSD)

Finally! I successfully installed Yosemite (10.10.3), using the UniBeast/MultiBeast/Chimera installation procedures, and didn't have to use maxmem=8192. (Zorro has 16GB of memory.) If I didn't use maxmem flag, I'd get the dreaded "deadbeef" error. I couldn't figure it out...then, I remembered that Son-of-Zorro used a graphics card, although it only has 8GB of memory...

...so, I tried a spare graphics card (HD6450). BINGO!! Runs as good as Yosemite should run, and iMessage works with FileNVRAM 1.1.4. (See http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html guide's Chapter 6 for how to get and install FileNVRAM 1.1.4.)

HD3000 in Yosemite is the bad boy here. It's the infamous Yosemite framebuffer problem. Ugh!

For those of you who will want to stay with HD3000 and are having problems (deadbeef and other KPs), take a look at toleda's http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/125239-hd4600-hd4000-hd3000-framebuffer-edits.html guide.

So, since Zorro is being used as a "production" system, I'll just keep the Gigabyte HD6450 installed and not waste anymore time on HD3000. My production system will still be Mavericks, but I'll keep "playing" with Yosemite to see it mature...maybe. :rolleyes:

Hi Stork,
I'm planning to update to Yosemite. I have an ATI Radeon HD 5650 2GB, seen by the actual system (10.8.5) as "ATI Radeon HD 5500/5600 Series 2048". Do you think that it is suitable for Yosemite?
Thank you.
Fulvio

Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of whether or not the 5650 will work in Yosemite. However, IMO, the only way is to backup your system and update to Yosemite. BTW, from where did you download Yosemite?

Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of whether or not the 5650 will work in Yosemite. However, IMO, the only way is to backup your system and update to Yosemite. BTW, from where did you download Yosemite?
Ok, thank you!
I'll try a clean install on a new hard drive!
I own an iMac and I've downloaded it through the App Store while was still available (a year ago?)
And BTW I just learned (here on the left) that my graphic card is not 5650 but 5570 :lol:

Is there a good option on a video card at lower end of pricing to allow for upgrading? The onboard has been more than enough for what I do daily. Would just like to figure out a good option for getting ElCap installed.

Thanks

I put a GTX 650 Ti in Zorro awhile ago - a hand me down from another system. Works like a champ with El Capitan. I'm going to update Son-of-Zorro to Sierra soon; it has a 6850; I'll probably have to inject AMD for that card.

Other cards are used GT 630 or 640.

I just picked up a gtx760 and I am going to throw it in and give updating a try. I have been bumping up against hard drive space so I cloned the SSD to a standard 2TB drive for now. Boy, I forgot how slow spinning drives are. I think I will do a fresh install fully upgraded on the SSD and use a standard drive to house all home drive stuff. It has been awhile since I have really had to play are with the system pretty rock solid and I am hoping that getting the GTX installed will the system a couple more years of life.

If starting with a fresh install is there a specific guide to follow that would make it easier? I have only used the method in the beginning of this thread and haven't messed around to much with the newer OS versions since I was stuck with the onboard graphics. Think I have a lot of reading to do this evening.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back