Contribute
Register

Stork's Zorro Build: Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
@dmbpettit

for me onboard USB3 works, as long as I do a second connection attempt on the 2nd port (with my external 2,5" usb-powered drive)

Step 1: Boot up without USB3-Devices plugged in
Step 2: Connect external drive (in one onboard blue-colored USB3-port)
Step 2b: (it does not mount on the desktop)
Step 3: Unplug the drive and plug it in the other blue USB3-Port
Step 3b: the drive mounts
-At this point all two USB3-Ports are working correctly-

tested with 10.10.2 (Multibeast 7.2) and now 10.10.3 it's the same (Multibeast 7.3)

(i'm using the multibeast-option "10.9.5 AppleACPIPlatform Rollback" though I'm not sure I really need it...)

Last edited:
So, I've given up on trying to get 10.10.3 on my machine. It doesn't work at all. I have the 12 bios installed. I can get a Unibeast stick to boot, and install, but the resulting install is messed up. The built in graphics don't seem to be supported, and trying to boot with more the 8Gigs of ram crashes it.

Does anyone have a concise way to get this machine on 10.10 using the builtin graphics and 16gigs of ram? The machine runs like a champ in 10.9......

ericdano,

Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm forced to use the boot/kernel flag "maxmem=8192" to not only install, but to run Yosemite. Bummer. So, I'm still on Mavericks 10.9.5.

If you're adventurous, upgrade to the last UEFI BIOS as users of Z68 motherboards have had success using the UEFI BIOS, including, IIRC, EddyMac who has posted in this thread.

ericdano,

Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm forced to use the boot/kernel flag "maxmem=8192" to not only install, but to run Yosemite. Bummer. So, I'm still on Mavericks 10.9.5.

If you're adventurous, upgrade to the last UEFI BIOS as users of Z68 motherboards have had success using the UEFI BIOS, including, IIRC, EddyMac who has posted in this thread.

Yes, I am using the UEFI BIOS and am running 10.10.3 with 16 GB RAM with no problems. Still loving this build!

Finally! I successfully installed Yosemite (10.10.3), using the UniBeast/MultiBeast/Chimera installation procedures, and didn't have to use maxmem=8192. (Zorro has 16GB of memory.) If I didn't use maxmem flag, I'd get the dreaded "deadbeef" error. I couldn't figure it out...then, I remembered that Son-of-Zorro used a graphics card, although it only has 8GB of memory...

...so, I tried a spare graphics card (HD6450). BINGO!! Runs as good as Yosemite should run, and iMessage works with FileNVRAM 1.1.4. (See http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html guide's Chapter 6 for how to get and install FileNVRAM 1.1.4.)

HD3000 in Yosemite is the bad boy here. It's the infamous Yosemite framebuffer problem. Ugh!

For those of you who will want to stay with HD3000 and are having problems (deadbeef and other KPs), take a look at toleda's http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/125239-hd4600-hd4000-hd3000-framebuffer-edits.html guide.

So, since Zorro is being used as a "production" system, I'll just keep the Gigabyte HD6450 installed and not waste anymore time on HD3000. My production system will still be Mavericks, but I'll keep "playing" with Yosemite to see it mature...maybe. :rolleyes:

Great news!

Did you have to call Apple to get iMessage working?

Great news!

Did you have to call Apple to get iMessage working?
Nope. Got lucky. Worked from the initial sign in and first try.

Hmmm...not so lucky.

I installed FileNVRAM 1.1.4 and when I rebooted the system hung on AppleKextExcludeList.kext.

I managed to get up and running again by using "UseKernelCache=Yes" and then cleaning out the info.plist in that exclude kext, and uninstalling the NVRAM module and kext.

Guess I will continue to live without iMessage. You gave me hope there for a few minutes that I could get it going easily. :)

So I updated to 10.10.4 without a problem. Thanks, Stork, for the step by step instructions.

I used the new trimforce command for trim.

I used the trimforce command on both mine and my wife's machines. They both have Samsung SSDs. Does this trimforce command enable a different kind of TRIM than the TRIM patch in Multibeast? I'm starting to see reports that this trimforce command is not safe for Samsung SSD drives. Is this true? Some of the reports are indicating that this is only the case where they are used in a Linux environment. Can anyone clarify this? It seems that some data loss is possible. Is it possible to turn this off by reversing the command in Terminal, i.e.

sudo trimforce disable

??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back