Contribute
Register

Stork's Zorro Build: Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Stork - My problems with Grandson of Zorro continue. Seems to be more frequent.
System freezes either with the disc activity light on solid or totally dark. I've been suspecting MB problems for a while. Today, It was failing the memory test at power on periodically. Finally got it booted with my Mojave USB drive and reinstalled clover on the SSD.

If you were going to build one today, what would it be? It'd be MB, CPU, and Memory.
Thanks.
Tom
Sorry to hear that your motherboard seems to be failing. I'm starting to have my old OCZ SSDs begin failing.

I like my ASUS motherboards as shown in my signature block. I don't know if you can still get the ASUS ROG MAXIMUS HERO X Z370 (ATX), but it has served me well. The Z390's are now the latest and greatest. See MacMan's Golden Build description as well as several other build descriptions.

I know this system is getting pretty old but is it possible to update it to more current OS’s? I am currently at 10.12.6 and would like to run some software that requires 10.14.4+. I have a GTX760 but wouldn’t mind buying something else if it isn’t compatible. Outside of a single program that I would like to use the system still functions perfectly for my needs. I would love to get another year or two out of it. I also tried to download Catalina and it isn’t compatible with the system. I was wondering if that was possibly because it shows up as a Mac Pro (mid 2010)

thanks

I have a GTX760 but wouldn’t mind buying something else if it isn’t compatible. Outside of a single program that I would like to use the system still functions perfectly for my needs.
The 760 is Kepler based and works with both Catalina and Mojave.
I also tried to download Catalina and it isn’t compatible with the system. I was wondering if that was possibly because it shows up as a Mac Pro (mid 2010)
This is correct you would need to change to something newer like iMac 14,2 SMBIOS to be able to get Catalina.

This is correct you would need to change to something newer like iMac 14,2 SMBIOS to be able to get Catalina.

Thank you for the quick reply. That got me on the right track, and I now have Catalina on the way. Have a new SSD showing up on Tuesday, so hopefully I will be able to work my way through getting a fresh install completed. Glad to hear that on the video card.

Thanks again

Since I am in the process of relearning everything required to get the system up to date is there any benefit to upgrading the firmware from F12 to the U1n(UEFI BIOS)? It seems like most of the stuff that I read these days involves UEFI.

Thanks

Since I am in the process of relearning everything required to get the system up to date is there any benefit to upgrading the firmware from F12 to the U1n(UEFI BIOS)? It seems like most of the stuff that I read these days involves UEFI.

Thanks
I've seen many Z68X owners upgrade to U1n and report that it works. UEFI booting has many advantages over legacy so if you want to do that it's certainly an option you have.

I'm one of the ones who upgraded this board to the UEFI BIOS and it worked great.

Thanks, did the update this morning and everything went good after I remembered that I needed to disable the onboard graphics. Hoping this will help me out with my upgrade to Cat. Have been having a bit of a hard time finding a good guide on Legacy BIOS.

I still had issues related to getting the plist file setup properly. But with some help from a redditor I was able to get the system upgraded. I had another posting in the 10.15 section looking for help with the upgrade. So I update that post and added the working plist file to the thread in case someone else wants to use it. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back