Contribute
Register

Stork's Thunderball II Build: ASUS ProArt Z490 Creator (Thunderbolt 3) - i5-10400 - RX 580

Hi, getting stuck at AppleNVMe Assert failed and many RHUB acpi errors.
View attachment 512067
Here is the hardware:
i9-10900
Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2
Asus ProArt Z490-CREATOR 10G (Bios version 2004)
AMD Radeon VII 16 GB

Already reading for two days and tried different configs and EFI folders but not getting past this.

Attached my config file and using OpenCore 0.6.7

Any directions are welcome.
Thanks!
Try adding this kext NVMEFix, I didn't see it included in your Kernel/Add section. I have the same NVMe drive and require this kext to boot.

Last edited:
Try adding this kext NVMEFix, I didn't see it included in your Kernel/Add section. I have the same NVMe drive and require this kext to boot.
Sometimes thing are so easy. I've overlooked at that little kext.
Now all up and running.

Hi all! I'm doing a build with the i9-10900K, and I'm having a bit of a reverse problem. I have hot plugging but not being able to start / boot with the Thunderbolt device. The BIOS sections were very helpful to get them working on cold boot, but I do need to replug it after booting. The device I'm working with is a G-Speed Shuttle 3. Maybe it being a RAID plays a role? However, it beeps / turns on during boot. Doesn't show up, then unplug re plug, and it beeps then shows up. Tried using tbtforcepower.efi as well as Thunderboltreset.kext using Opencore 0.6.7

@TripleYoThreat, What are your system's components? Please update your Profile Components to reflect your current system. TIA.

Try resetting your NVARM. Another trouble shooting "trick" is to shut down the system. Turn off the Power Supply's On/Off switch. Unplug the external power cable that connects to the Power Supply. Wait 30 seconds. Then reconnect, turn on the Power Supply switch and boot up.

I, too, have to sometimes hot plug my Other World Computing dock with my TB back up drive. But, most of the time it works with a cold boot.

Unfortunately not my build
Same board, i9 10900k, Dell RX 5700 XT, Viper 64GB 3600 MHz
Fixed by changing Thunderbolt OS, Windows 10 config (in BIOS) to disabled, then re disabling GPIO filter, and re enabling CLK REQ. When you disable the Windows 10 support it'll also toggle those two
This, of course, with the bios settings you stated in OP, like GPIO force pwr

Now works like a charm every boot w/ hotplugging :) thanks!

Anyone messed around with adding another thunderbolt card like the Titan Ridge for a total of 4 thunderbolt 3 ports? I'm working on it but I first need to get it working in another build without the thb_c header

Anyone messed around with adding another thunderbolt card like the Titan Ridge for a total of 4 thunderbolt 3 ports? I'm working on it but I first need to get it working in another build without the thb_c header
I use a Other World Computing (OWC) TB3 14 port dock station. I recommend a TB3 dock as you have additional ports, and the dock can put be under your monitor for easy access.

This has crossed my mind now that I'm testing more TB3 devices: Apollo, TB3 NVME enclosures and TB3 to 10Gbe LAN for my NAS (I really wish Asus gave us one of these instead of that useless 10g lan card).

Regarding the ports; PCIE3 is not an option because it will disable the onboard TB3 ports, and using PCIE2 is going to split the x16 bandwidth on PCIE1 in half (8x8), since I'm using a big GFX I don't really want to reduce PCIE1 to 8x unless its absolutely necessary. Which just leaves me stunned as to why they didn't add a dedicated 4x slot like on many other Asus high end boards :( I've been trying to deal with it but the PCIE layout on this board really bugs me.

I have a bunch of Asus ThunderboltEX iterations here and non of them work on this board as they require the header cable to be connected to even configure it in bios. I don't own a GC-Titan ridge card to test that.

It's unlikely BIOS will have a way to configure additional TB3 cards (especially when used in PCIE2 slot), but if you find a way to make it work it would be great to know how you did it. Good Luck!

Last edited:
This has crossed my mind now that I'm testing more TB3 devices: Apollo, TB3 NVME enclosures and TB3 to 10Gbe LAN for my NAS (I really wish Asus gave us one of these instead of that useless 10g lan card).

Regarding the ports; PCIE3 is not an option because it will disable the onboard TB3 ports, and using PCIE2 is going to split the x16 bandwidth on PCIE1 in half (8x8), since I'm using a big GFX I don't really want to reduce PCIE1 to 8x unless its absolutely necessary. Which just leaves me stunned as to why they didn't add a dedicated 4x slot like on many other Asus high end boards :( I've been trying to deal with it but the PCIE layout on this board really bugs me.

I have a bunch of Asus ThunderboltEX iterations here and non of them work on this board as they require the header cable to be connected to even configure it in bios. I don't own a GC-Titan ridge card to test that.

It's unlikely BIOS will have a way to configure additional TB3 cards (especially when used in PCIE2 slot), but if you find a way to make it work it would be great to know how you did it. Good Luck!
Aiming to do a firmware flash and see...currently without flashing on the Titan Ridge. I can have the second card recognized in Windows, and the device is recognized, as well. It just doesn't show up at all in disk management. This is also a G-Speed 20TB RAID. So I think I'm also testing the hardest device possible. I think it needs its own drivers. But the board itself doesn't show up in macOS on the Thunderbolt section of System Report which is needed for devices that need their own drivers. So..IDK?

And, yea, this guy was able to use the ThunderboltEX with no header or BIOS support so it should work/

Also, from what I've read, and I might be totally wrong here - the difference between x16 and x8 is negligible, often considered to be under 2%, at least at our realm of usage. Now, x4 has a huge drop yes, but I think if you were to go GPU and TB3 card, and ran benches, you wouldn't see much of a difference (or render time on a project, as I find more applicable and useful than a silly arbitrary bench number)

threema-20210329-204416907.mp4_snapshot_00.38.329.jpg

I can't get video output on the installer. This is my second build, I did everything step by step. But the iGPU isn't working. It stops at:

Code:
gioscreenlockstate 3 hs 0 bs 0 now 0

And shows a black screen after that, i7-10700K with Intel 630, I tried with a RX 570 from another build (and an empty framebuffer on the iGPU) and it boots flawlessly, I even got my Intel wifi working.
But I can't get it to work only with the iGPU, and buying another GPU is out of the question in these times.
I tried with 00009B3E and 07009B3E framebuffer, I tried with the fixes of the dortania guide (The WhateverGreen fixes), and nothing.

Here's my EFI:

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    14.6 MB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Back