Contribute
Register

Stork's Thunderball II Build: ASUS ProArt Z490 Creator (Thunderbolt 3) - i5-10400 - RX 580

Having some ethernet issues on 12.3...

- The onboard I225 wasn't working until I added e1000=0 to boot args EDIT: This gives constant KP's and crashes.
- The 10G pcie card is not working at all as of 12.3, there are workarounds but you lose wifi, handoff and continuity etc.

Last edited:
Just wanted to stop in and say thanks to @Stork, @CaseySJ and all others for the incredible guides, tools and directions. This was one of the fastest and trouble free builds I’ve ever done. Regardless that I couldn’t build it from scratch like wanted to, the resources provided got the job done and everything working.

Intel i9-10850K 10-Core Comet Lake
ASUS ProArt Z490 Creator/10G
Samsung 980 1TB SSD
G.Skill Ripjaws 3200MHz 16GB x 2
Mac OS Big Sur 11.5.2

Geekbench Single Core: 1332
Geekbench Multi Core: 11061

Working:
HDMI w/ graphics acceleration
2.5GHz Ethernet
Thunderbolt 3
Youbo PCIe Wifi 5 (OOB)
DisplayPort 1.2 from iGPU (kinda)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 7.44.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 7.44.34 AM.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
This was one of the fastest and trouble free builds I’ve ever done.
You didn't put the Asus ProArt Z490 in your hardware list. Is that the board you used ?

You didn't put the Asus ProArt Z490 in your hardware list. Is that the board you used ?
It is. I was looking for a motherboard that could do TB3, 2 LAN ports and dual video output from the iGPU and I believe this was the only one that had everything.

Got the same build working with Thunderbolt on Catalina and Big Sur (i9-10900K and Nvidia GT 710 2GB).

Strange thing: I use it for music production with an Apogee Symphony via Thunderbolt and a Audient ID22 via USB.

On the Thunderbolt Interface, Audio got some occasional clicks and pops. They disappeared disabling hyperthreading from BIOS.

May I ask,

why does Dortania install instructions have disagreement with OpenCore Releases?

How can I know the correct settings for my Comet Lake build for the latest Opencore?

I have failed at many attempts to get a working install...

Last edited:
The install guides are not updated with each release.
Follow as closely as you can, and consult the Configuration.pdf reference document for new settings.

Last edited:
The install guides are not updates with each release.
Follow as closely as you can, and consult the Configuration.pdf reference document for new settings.
Is the install guide absolutely correct for the version identified such as 0.7.8? If so, wouldn't it be better to use opencore 7.8 for the USB installer?

Is the install guide absolutely correct for the version identified such as 0.7.8? If so, wouldn't it be better to use opencore 7.8 for the USB installer?
Entirely up to you, and you can start there first if you prefer, but, as @etorix mentioned, if you follow the guide for 0.7.8 you should be fine. Just don't try loading Ventura Beta which requires 0.8.3.

It must be around that, and 0.7.8 is fine if you don't want to run later releases of macOS.
But consider that the install guides are generic, and as such may still require some tweaks to the settings to fit a specific board… There's no Hackintosh without some hacking around.

Back