Contribute
Register

Stork's Thunderball II Build: ASUS ProArt Z490 Creator (Thunderbolt 3) - i5-10400 - RX 580

Thanks for taking a look @CaseySJ!

This was an upgrade to Big Sur. I was running fine for a bit while I had my 5700xt. That card had some issues so sold that and got a 6900xt.

Worked for literally one day (maybe dumb luck or something) and then never worked again. I've got an older EFI (under this post) that was a bit neater on iMac20,1. Just tried that but was unable to boot into Catalina however :|

Attachments

• Old EFI.zip
    40.8 MB · Views: 83
Thanks for taking a look @CaseySJ!

This was an upgrade to Big Sur. I was running fine for a bit while I had my 5700xt. That card had some issues so sold that and got a 6900xt.

Worked for literally one day (maybe dumb luck or something) and then never worked again. I've got an older EFI (under this post) that was a bit neater on iMac20,1. Just tried that but was unable to boot into Catalina however :|
Please try the attached:
  • config.plist --> copy serial numbers into PlatformInfo --> DataHub before use
  • USBPower.kext --> this fixes the system product name
If this does not work, see if you can boot into Recovery by pressing space bar at OpenCore boot picker and selecting the Big Sur Recovery disk. If this works, then run Terminal from the Tools menu and type:
Bash:
cd /Volumes/MY-MAC-DISK-NAME/Library/Extensions
ls -l
Replace MY-MAC-DISK-NAME with actual name of your macOS SSD. This will list all kernel extensions in the /Library/Extensions folder. Either type the output and post, or capture a photo and post. If capturing a photo, be sure to remove EXIF location information first. This can be done by dragging the photo to JIMPL website.

Attachments

• config.plist
    27 KB · Views: 100
  • USBPower.kext.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
@CaseySJ I'm convinced you're a wizard. Booted up immediately with that config/kext file. My Fenvi T919 isn't working for some reason but that was in question before this issue.

Thanks a ton!!

@Stork I know you're not comfortable sharing EFI's but any assistance is appreciated in terms of what changes are required for Enabling 4g decoding for Big Sur.

Thanks!

You should not need to make any changes to EFI.

… My Fenvi T919 isn't working for some reason but that was in question before this issue.

Are both WiFi and Bluetooth not working, or only Bluetooth? Would be good to run IORegistryExplorer and post a screenshot of the XHC section (do not use ‘search’ because it collapses the device tree) and RP09 or RP21 depending on the slot the Fenvi is in.

Hi! Made a build yesterday with the same motherboard (Asus ProArt Z490 Creator + 10900k i9 + GT710) and everything works great with Catalina except Thunderbolt. I followed your instructions but Thuderbolt says "no drivers are loaded". Should I use your SSDT for Catalina, too?

Thanks a lot :)

Hi! Made a build yesterday with the same motherboard (Asus ProArt Z490 Creator + 10900k i9 + GT710) and everything works great with Catalina except Thunderbolt. I followed your instructions but Thuderbolt says "no drivers are loaded". Should I use your SSDT for Catalina, too?

Thanks a lot :)
Yes.

Hi all. I decided to update to Monterey 12.3 today. Everything works great but my boot time went from about 20 seconds to 5 minutes.

It seems that it was caused by my Samsung NVMe drive and Monterey's TRIM.

I found that setting the Kernel Quirk “SetApfsTrimTimeout” from -1 to 0 made my boot time go back to 20 seconds.

my boot time went from about 20 seconds to 5 minutes.
This happens to most everyone that uses a Sammy NVMe with Monterey. Best to clone that drive to something else that doesn't have broken TRIM. Use the Samsung drive for a storage drive or Windows or Linux instead.

This happens to most everyone that uses a Sammy NVMe with Monterey. Best to clone that drive to something else that doesn't have broken TRIM. Use the Samsung drive for a storage drive or Windows or Linux instead.
Yeah, at some point I will change it. But since I got 2x2TB Samsung NVMe drives and nowhere else to use them, I’m going to try and get my moneys worth. Just thought I’d share this info if the boot time is driving anyone else insane!

Back