Contribute
Register

Stork's Thunderball II Build: ASUS ProArt Z490 Creator (Thunderbolt 3) - i5-10400 - RX 580

Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 9.57.40 AM.png

BIOS 2301 is giving me lots of problems, just beware. It wants to immediately boot Windows even though OpenCore is the first priority. I had to delete / backup the Microsoft EFI folder just to boot OpenCore and Thunderbolt stopped working.

Edit: Thunderbolt drives are back on, but UAD Apollo still isn't working.

Last edited:
@TripleYoThreat, Thanks for the information. I've made a note of your experience in Post #1.

Maybe someone here can help? Latest BIOS, one of the TB3 ports is not working.
I had crashing with Adobe Media Encoder and all the BIOS settings were right - I knew it needed a BIOS update. After the BIOS update, my crashing has been fixed. I can export a full project properly now. However, one TB3 port is not working, the upper one, closest to the onboard HDMI. I reset the BIOS manually for safe measure, then set the TB3 settings as recommended here.
Settings Value Notes
Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Support Enabled Defines Thunderbolt Support
Wake from Thunderbolt(TM) Devices Enabled Allows to wake from Thunderbolt Devices
Current Security Level No Security Defines Thunderbolt Security Level
Native OS Security for TBT Enabled
Thunderbolt USB Support Enabled Enables Thunderbolt USB Support
Thunderbolt Boot Support Enabled
Titan Ridge Workaround for OSUP Enabled
Tbt Dynamic AC/DC L1 Enabled
GPIO Force Pwr Enabled Forces Power to Thunderbolt
Wait time in ms after applying Force Pwr Default The default value after you reset the BIOS
GPIO filter Enabled
DTBT Controller 0 Enabled
TBT Host Router Two port
Extra Bus Reserved Default The default value after you reset the BIOS
Reserved Memory Default The default value after you reset the BIOS
Memory Alignment Default The default value after you reset the BIOS
Reserved PMemory Default The default value after you reset the BIOS
PMemory Alignment Default The default value after you reset the BIOS
Reserved I/O Default The default value after you reset the BIOS
Windows 10 Thunderbolt support Enable + RTD3 Defines Thunderbolt support for Windows 10

I did disable Windows 10 Thunderbolt Support. However, as I believe that's needed for it to work at all in Mac. Will try again with it enabled.
I also tried increasing the numbers in the Controller configuration (Extra bus reserved, etc. above) and then it wouldn't boot and I needed to short the CLRTC jumper.
Maybe someone with a newer BIOS and both TB3 ports working can post pictures of their Thunderbolt settings in BIOS? Regardless this is such an odd problem because the settings apply to both ports - so both ports should work or both should not. I can't see why one wouldn't.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

@TripleYoThreat, Need more information.
  • What is the BIOS version?
  • What version of macOS are you running.?

@TripleYoThreat, Need more information.
  • What is the BIOS version?
  • What version of macOS are you running.?
Same one I mentioned above, the latest 2301, and it's on Catalina. Just before the bios update I had both ports working with the exact same config

Same one I mentioned above, the latest 2301, and it's on Catalina. Just before the bios update I had both ports working with the exact same config
Oh, hello! Duh. Well, since your post #244 stated problems, I made a note in post #1 to stick with BIOS v2201 and not upgrade. I recommend you downgrade the BIOS to v2201.

Oh, hello! Duh. Well, since your post #244 stated problems, I made a note in post #1 to stick with BIOS v2201 and not upgrade. I recommend you downgrade the BIOS to v2201.
You have both ports working on v2201? Is it possible you could list out or post pics of your Thunderbolt config settings in your BIOS? Though I had it working on ~v600, the settings page has actually changed (removed CLK REQ, etc.). So I want to be triple sure.

Also I thought of downgrading but for some reason reflexively thought the BIOS downgrade wouldn't be possible. But now I remember, only certain ones aren't available. So I will try that.

Yes, both parts are working although I'm only using one to connect my OWC TB3 dock.

See post #1 BIOS settings section for my Thunderbolt settings.

Yes, both parts are working although I'm only using one to connect my OWC TB3 dock.

See post #1 BIOS settings section for my Thunderbolt settings.
Yep definitely read those! That's it? Everything else left as default? Thank you for confirming Stork. It's really odd to solve one problem to create another, but I'm definitely glad my export crashing has been solved. That's another note to people, if experiencing crashing with video related software, try updating the BIOS, but to 2101 only.

Back