Contribute
Register

Stork's Thunderball II Build: ASUS ProArt Z490 Creator (Thunderbolt 3) - i5-10400 - RX 580

I wonder if you would like to share the ALC layout ID you used which I haven't figured out.

Thanks a lot.
Layout 7 works well for me, but I haven’t exhausted the list.

* Important For Usbinjectall/Big Sur Users*

While trying to isolate a completely unrelated boot hang I noticed that when using "USBInjectAll.kext" and "Kernel>Quirks>XhciPortLimit=True" on this motherboard USB will not work at all on the latest Big Sur.

It is very important that you make a correct USBmap before updating!! It works 100% fine with a USBmap, Catalina remains unaffected.

I made a rough guide in Post #127.
I found while doing a clean install of Big Sur 11.3.1 with OC 0.6.9, that none of the USB ports worked; EXCEPT the USB 2.0 ports found via the Thunderbolt/USB C connectors. I was able to use my keyboard here long enough to install and then create a proper USBMap kext, using Usbinjectall.kext. It is still very important to be careful here as I found out how one false move can leave you unable to boot.

I found while doing a clean install of Big Sur 11.3.1 with OC 0.6.9, that none of the USB ports worked; EXCEPT the USB 2.0 ports found via the Thunderbolt/USB C connectors. I was able to use my keyboard here long enough to install and then create a proper USBMap kext, using Usbinjectall.kext. It is still very important to be careful here as I found out how one false move can leave you unable to boot.
Good to know thanks. Unfortunately even my fenvi Bluetooth wasn’t working without the usb map.

Yes, no other USB 2.0 port would respond to my keyboard and the internal hub, with the Fenvi Bluetooth was not active.

Hi, guys. I just finished my first attempt with Big Sur, and everything is working fine: power management, sleep, audio, Ethernet, DRM, etc.

I have a noob question about SMBIOS:
Right now I am using MacPro 7,1 SMBIOS, but I read that iMac 20,1 would be better for my configuration (i9 10850k + rx580).
What would be the advantages of switching to iMac 20,1 given the fact that right now everything works fine?

Hi, guys. I just finished my first attempt with Big Sur, and everything is working fine: power management, sleep, audio, Ethernet, DRM, etc.

I have a noob question about SMBIOS:
Right now I am using MacPro 7,1 SMBIOS, but I read that iMac 20,1 would be better for my configuration (i9 10850k + rx580).
What would be the advantages of switching to iMac 20,1 given the fact that right now everything works fine?

iMac20,2 (20,1 is only for i7 and below, 20,2 is for i9 10 core) - iGPU is enabled so you can use Intel quick sync for encoding, also essential for working Sidecar. Currently DRM is broken.

Mac Pro - iGPU is completely disabled so all encoding tasks are done by your RX 580. No Sidecar support but DRM is working.

Since you only have an RX 580, you would hugely benefit from quick sync support so use the 20,2 SMBIOS in my opinion. Unless you had say a RX 6900 XT or really need DRM then it might be worth letting it handle all encoding.

Edit: make sure you enable multi monitor support in your BIOS settings as per OP instructions.

Last edited:
iMac20,2 (20,1 is only for i7 and below, 20,2 is for i9 10 core) - iGPU is enabled so you can use Intel quick sync for encoding, also essential for working Sdecar. Currently DRM is broken.

Mac Pro - iGPU is completely disabled so all encoding tasks are done by your RX 580. No Sidecar support but DRM is working.

Since you only have an RX 580, you would hugely benefit from quick sync support so use the 20,2 SMBIOS in my opinion. Unless you had say a RX 6900 XT or really need DRM then it might be worth letting it handle all encoding.

Edit: make sure you enable multi monitor support in your BIOS settings as per OP instructions.
Thank you very much for your explanation. I'll try iMac 20,2 since I don't need DRM.

New BIOS features:

ProART Z490-CREATOR 10G BIOS 2103
"-The latest UEFI BIOS updates enable Intel ABT for 11th Gen Intel Core i9-11900K and i9-11900KF processors.
- Support 11th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors
- improve ReSizable BAR compatibility for NVIDIA RTX30 series graphics cards
- Improve System Performance
- improve DRAM performance
- Support intel ABT function
- improve System stability
- update AURA firmware
- improve DRAM compatibility"

I updated yesterday and all seemed to go well, I'll report back after a week of use.

Edit:
- Can't seem to disable Intel VT-x anymore but it's working fine in Big Sur/Catalina

Just wanted to report back that the new BIOS 2103 is working perfectly for me and my configuration. Despite mentions of improved performance in the BIOS changelog I see no improvement in real world tasks or Geekbench testing.

My iGPU is now correctly displayed in Hackintool as follows, before it just said "Intel ???". Not sure if this is from a Hackintool update or the BIOS.

Safe to update! :thumbup:

If you change your PCIE configuration and suddenly get an extra ~1min of boot time, then generating fresh SMBIOS info for you config will fix this.

Also macOS 11.4 / OC 0.6.9 updated fine.
Screenshot 2021-05-26 at 11.08.12.png

View attachment 517113
11.3 / 0.6.8 success. No USB issues at all with a proper USB map.

Edit: 11.3.1 / 0.6.9 Success

I’m using layout 7, and I’m not getting any hum. Try researching ground loops in motherboards, it could be a number of things: psu, any usb device, speakers and pc plugged into different circuits etc. Impossible to tell without a lot of trial and error. All I can say is that this motherboard doesn’t have any noise on the outputs.
Side note: I’m sure you know this but mobo audio is notoriously bad, (although I’m quite impressed with how good it sounds compared to my old z97). Get a budget usb interface such as a Scarlett if you can’t isolate the hum.
Thanks man, I did end up troubleshooting and fixing the hum, it had something to do with the UPS, when it was plugged in to the wall, even if this pc was the outlet above it, it'd still hum. Eventually it just disappeared.

Now with the 11.4 update, USB mapped, I'm unable to do hot plugging with USB C - anyone have any insight on that? It works from cold boot and hot boot, and I have hot plugging with Thunderbolt 3, but not USB C. Any advice would be appreciated all.

I'm not sure if it worked before 11.4 as I never had these USB C drives before

Thanks man, I did end up troubleshooting and fixing the hum, it had something to do with the UPS, when it was plugged in to the wall, even if this pc was the outlet above it, it'd still hum. Eventually it just disappeared.

Now with the 11.4 update, USB mapped, I'm unable to do hot plugging with USB C - anyone have any insight on that? It works from cold boot and hot boot, and I have hot plugging with Thunderbolt 3, but not USB C. Any advice would be appreciated all.

I'm not sure if it worked before 11.4 as I never had these USB C drives before

I can confirm hot swap is working for me on 11.4 with a type c flash drive. Could you try using my usb map from post #179 and see if works? Remember to remove usbinjectall.kext and set Kernel>Quirks>XhciPortLimit to False

Back