Contribute
Register

Stork's Thunderball II Build: ASUS ProArt Z490 Creator (Thunderbolt 3) - i5-10400 - RX 580

I assumed by that post Thunderbolt devices including UAD Apollo would work as expected. Are there known issues with Apollo devices and this board?
Check this thread:

I search for "Apollo" in the thread. The first reference to "Apollo" is in post #52.

However, it turns out that the TB SSDT works with the Apollo.

Has anyone tried the new BIOS for the Asus ProArt Z490 Creator, yet?
v2103 is now the ony update available on the Asus web site.

From what I'm gathering with the information available is that apollo works fine with the use the ASUS-Z490-PRO-ART-CREATOR-TB3-V3 SSDT.
which is attached to the OP.
Has anyone tried the new BIOS for the Asus ProArt Z490 Creator, yet?
v2103 is now the ony update available on the Asus web site.
Not yet. Thanks for the heads up.

I successfully updated my Big Sur test disk to 11.3.1. All went well, and the updated Big Sur test disk is running all OK, so far.

I had previously updated both my Mojave and Big Sur installations to OpenCore 0.6.9. However, I've never mapped out my USB on my Z490 before now, I used USBmap to perform that task before the upgrade. Note: USBMap produces two kexts. I only used the USBMap.kext. I then added USBMap.kext to both my Mojave and Big Sur config.plists on my installations, changed the config.plist>Kernel>Quirks>XhciPortLimit=False, and finally made sure that both Mojave and Big Sur worked before updating Big Sur. Since they did, I updated Big Sur installation to 11.3.1. Good to go!

New BIOS features:

ProART Z490-CREATOR 10G BIOS 2103
"-The latest UEFI BIOS updates enable Intel ABT for 11th Gen Intel Core i9-11900K and i9-11900KF processors.
- Support 11th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors
- improve ReSizable BAR compatibility for NVIDIA RTX30 series graphics cards
- Improve System Performance
- improve DRAM performance
- Support intel ABT function
- improve System stability
- update AURA firmware
- improve DRAM compatibility"

I updated yesterday and all seemed to go well, I'll report back after a week of use.

Edit:
- Can't seem to disable Intel VT-x anymore but it's working fine in Big Sur/Catalina

Last edited:
* Important For Usbinjectall/Big Sur Users*

While trying to isolate a completely unrelated boot hang I noticed that when using "USBInjectAll.kext" and "Kernel>Quirks>XhciPortLimit=True" on this motherboard USB will not work at all on the latest Big Sur.

It is very important that you make a correct USBmap before updating!! It works 100% fine with a USBmap, Catalina remains unaffected.

I made a rough guide in Post #127.

Edit: Attaching my USBMap.kext for people who get locked out of Big Sur 11.3 due to USB issues. Don't use this for production, it's a get of jail free card.

Edit 2: apparently the rear type c ports will work for usb 2 devices

Attachments

• USBMap.kext.zip
    2 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
And that's me 100% done for now so thought I'd share a couple of pics of the completed build if that's ok:
Upgrading from an ASUS Z97-WS / 4790K which feels like this board's grandpa :headbang:

View attachment 511833
View attachment 511831

Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini
Sorry for the offtopic, but tell me what kind of power supply model? Very beautiful braid of wires))))

Sorry for the offtopic, but tell me what kind of power supply model? Very beautiful braid of wires))))
They are Corsair official aftermarket cables with some cheap third party cable combs I found on Amazon. I’m using the SF750, and it actually comes with these cables in black.I I already owned the white ones from a previous build so used those instead.

I wonder if you would like to share the ALC layout ID you used which I haven't figured out.

Thanks a lot.

Back