Contribute
Register

Stork's Thunderball II Build: ASUS ProArt Z490 Creator (Thunderbolt 3) - i5-10400 - RX 580

I tried plugging the 10G LAN card into PCIE16_2 slot and it works great with the kernel patch in Big Sur. Note: GPU in PCIE16_1 is now running at 8x but I can find no discernible difference after some tests. Just thought I'd share for anyone wanting 10G LAN and Thunderbolt. I haven't had much luck with Thunderbolt 3 to GBE adapters so far but I'm not giving up. Slightly longer boot time now but otherwise great. FIXED

Last edited:
I tried plugging the 10G LAN card into PCIE16_2 slot and it works great with the kernel patch in Big Sur. Note: GPU in PCIE16_1 is now running at 8x but I can find no discernible difference after some tests. Just thought I'd share for anyone wanting 10G LAN and Thunderbolt. I haven't had much luck with Thunderbolt 3 to GBE adapters so far but I'm not giving up. Slightly longer boot time now but otherwise great.
Thank you good sir. Came right at the time I needed it. Just searched the thread for this today. Worked perfectly.

Thank you good sir. Came right at the time I needed it. Just searched the thread for this today. Worked perfectly.
Glad to be of help. I really need to investigate my logs to see why boot is taking so long now, I didn’t notice it at first but it has two very long hangs in the boot process since adding the card. Let me know if you experience the same.

Side Note: I decided that since I wasn’t using 2.5Gb, I would remove the fakepciid kexts which worked fine, but didn’t affect boot time. I need to check my iServices as well since changing en1 to 10Gb might have caused the issue too (different MAC address).

Good news guys, we don't need the two FakePCIID kexts to get the I225-V 2.5GBe port working anymore.

(as of OpenCore 0.6.8)

Just need to add this patch to Kernel - > Patch then remove the two FakePCIID kexts.

Base String __Z18e1000_set_mac_typeP8e1000_hw
Comment String I225-V patch
Enabled Boolean True
Find Data F2150000
Identifier String com.apple.driver.AppleIntelI210Ethernet
MinKernel String 19.0.0
Replace Data F3150000

Confirmed working on mine, more info in kernel -> patch section of OC guide.

Edit: In my config: DeviceProperties -> Add -> PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x4)/Pci(0x0,0x0) has only one child entry:
"device-id F2150000"

Screenshot 2021-04-24 at 10.52.14.png

Last edited:
Updated my USBMap post after learning that the USB3.1 Internal header needs to be set to type 10 (not 9) since it changes ACPI port depending on which way you plug it in. If you are not using this port you can ignore the changes.

If you were wondering why you are getting USB2 speeds on this port sometimes, this is why. Under windows it works at USB3 speeds whichever way I connect it. But, under macOS, it switches between HS/SS which is a bit annoying having to remember which way to plug in USB-C cables.

Thumb drive with logo facing me:
Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 10.52.15.png

Same thumb drive logo facing away:
Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 10.52.35.png

Anyone know if there is a way to fix this with an SSDT? All of the USBMap guides just tell us to set it to type 10. But I have noticed no improvement or change compared to using them as type 9.

Anyone having any hum/static over 3.5? I'm using Layout-id 1 not sure what yall are using

Hi Stork,

Why did you choose a 256 GB Rocket and a 1TB Rocket (instead of Rocket)? The Rocket seems to perform better than the Q; is it only because of price? Thanks

Hi Stork,

Why did you choose a 256 GB Rocket and a 1TB Rocket (instead of Rocket)? The Rocket seems to perform better than the Q; is it only because of price? Thanks
The Sabrent 256GB Rocket is my test disk and didn't need to be the fast, expensive production disk.

BTW, given that Big Sur 11.3 is causing a mess with USB port mapping, I'm staying with Catalina until Big Sur 11.4 is out.

4E5560E7-05E2-4212-8DB4-1D2DBDFC4658.png

11.3 / 0.6.8 success. No USB issues at all with a proper USB map.

Edit: 11.3.1 / 0.6.9 Success

Anyone having any hum/static over 3.5? I'm using Layout-id 1 not sure what yall are using
I’m using layout 7, and I’m not getting any hum. Try researching ground loops in motherboards, it could be a number of things: psu, any usb device, speakers and pc plugged into different circuits etc. Impossible to tell without a lot of trial and error. All I can say is that this motherboard doesn’t have any noise on the outputs.
Side note: I’m sure you know this but mobo audio is notoriously bad, (although I’m quite impressed with how good it sounds compared to my old z97). Get a budget usb interface such as a Scarlett if you can’t isolate the hum.

Last edited:
Back