Contribute
Register

Stork's Thunderball II Build: ASUS ProArt Z490 Creator (Thunderbolt 3) - i5-10400 - RX 580

I just tried it, and it still gets stuck. I suspect the lack of an iGPU more and more...
well, you do hv a couple of discrete GPUs :)
(assuming they are in working order)
Do you hv another system to verify if they're indeed working?

i would go thru following:
- ensure BIOS is set to use PCI gpu
putting it in topmost PCI slot would help
- try to see if Windows 10 would boot
this wld constitute a thorough check if all components are ok

Last edited:
Dear Stork,

I have an i9-10900KF in my ProArt. I swear that I followed your guide, as well as the OpenCore guide, religiously, yet I get a black screen after I pick the "Install Catalina..." USB stick in the OpenCore picker. I spent hours troubleshooting. The only thing that comes to my mind is that I don't have an iGPU -- only a dedicated GPU. I tried with a 5700, and also with an RX 560 -- no luck. Black screen. Could you possibly share your working EFI with me? I can't think of anything else to try...
Send us Verbose logs, there is no way we can diagnose the issue otherwise.

Using an 'F' CPU means you have no iGPU hence no QuickSync. You'll need to use a different SMBIOS such as iMacPro1,1 in your config. Search around for what SMBIOS people are using with 10900F (this is unlikely to fix your boot problem though).

Other than the SMBIOS, your config will be identical to ours, so if you are having a black screen before the verbose output then there is something truly wrong with your EFI folder.

gl

Last edited:
Updated to OpenCore to 0.6.6 and BigSur 11.2.1 successfully. My system is still working 100%, thanks a bunch to everyone who provided knowledge in this thread.:clap:

All that's left is me hoping we get full Radeon 6XXX support soon in MacOS since it's near impossible to get a 5XXX anymore.

Edit:
Successfully updated to 11.2.2

Last edited:
@hisartwork, I’d wait for the next series of motherboards coming out this Spring which will have Thunderbolt 4 and USB-C combined. :thumbup:
A12A660C-C5A6-4A6B-9BAC-F01AFAE86257.jpeg

Last edited:
@centraljava, too bad that for AMD Ryzen processors.

@centraljava, too bad that for AMD Ryzen processors.
yes @Stork, there'll be compatibility issues
but it's a preview of things to come (z590, etc)
shows the continued popularity of Ryzen cpus

hope they'll come up w/ an answer to Z490 Vision

Last edited:
Hi Stork, thanks for putting up this report, it has helped me a lot to build my second hack.
I'm currently wondering if I installed the i/o panel shield correctly. There are those brackets on the holes for the TB3 connectors (Type C), they point to the connector and I fear it would block the plug to connect firmly. Do I have to fold them inwards? I have no plug to test at the moment.

@soundflix, you should be fine. The ports hold TB3 cables firmly so they don't slip out.

Updated my OpenCore Mojave production installation to 0.6.7 which runs well. I did the same to my test Big Sur installation, and I successfully updated Big Sur to 11.2.2.

I “played” around with the test Big Sur installation for most of the day. The OWC TB3 dock, unfortunately, will only work by “hot plugging”. Hopefully, 11.3 will allow “cold boot plugging”. However, I like the Big Sur look and “feel” and will probably update my production installation to Big Sur when 11.3 arrives.

Back