Contribute
Register

Stork's Thunderball II Build: ASUS ProArt Z490 Creator (Thunderbolt 3) - i5-10400 - RX 580

Hi,

Today
Yes, Bluetooth is supported in the BIOS. I use my Apple Magic Mouse occasionally in the BIOS. I'm using the Fenvi T919 WiFi/BT PCIe card as listed in OP. I also have a Logitech K760 keyboard that works in the BIOS; it has it's own USB dongle for wireless.
Thank you so much Stork.

I need use the Thunderbolt port but it doesn't work. I re-check the first post with information, but i can not find my problem. I checked the BIOS, and I found that Thunderbolt Support appears "disabled" and is not possible change. What can i do?

Attachments

• 20210205_124402.jpg
    17.9 MB · Views: 91
I need use the Thunderbolt port but it doesn't work. I re-check the first post with information, but i can not find my problem. I checked the BIOS, and I found that Thunderbolt Support appears "disabled" and is not possible change. What can i do?
What BIOS version are you using? (1003, hopefully.) Here's what I would do:
- Document your BIOS settings. If you used my settings, you should print them out.​
- Reset CMOS.​
- In the BIOS choose EXIT > Load Optimized Defaults​
- Setup BIOS per the changes you noted/printed out.​
Save BIOS (Exit > Save) and return to the BIOS after it reboots. Check all your settings.

What BIOS version are you using? (1003, hopefully.) Here's what I would do:
- Document your BIOS settings. If you used my settings, you should print them out.​
- Reset CMOS.​
- In the BIOS choose EXIT > Load Optimized Defaults​
- Setup BIOS per the changes you noted/printed out.​
Save BIOS (Exit > Save) and return to the BIOS after it reboots. Check all your settings.
Hi! Thanks!

I checked. I have BIOS Version: 2002 x64 Build date: 12/30/2020

I put one more time all BIOS settings but then, when save and exit to restart appears this message: "A device has been detected in PCIEX16_3. Please note that thunderbolt (TM) support will be disabled automatically!
Press F1 to run SETUP!"

I'm going to remove the board from the LAN card. I guess this will fix the problem. Let's go there!

Hi! Thanks!

I checked. I have BIOS Version: 2002 x64 Build date: 12/30/2020

I put one more time all BIOS settings but then, when save and exit to restart appears this message: "A device has been detected in PCIEX16_3. Please note that thunderbolt (TM) support will be disabled automatically!
Press F1 to run SETUP!"

I'm going to remove the board from the LAN card. I guess this will fix the problem. Let's go there!
First, BIOS v2002 is a beta BIOS. (See small red letters next to the version number next to version number on Asus' Download > BIOS.) I'm sticking with the v1003 for now.

Second, the User Manual states that, if you can use the 10Gb Ethernet card, Thunderbolt will not be available.

Good luck!

First, BIOS v2002 is a beta BIOS. (See small red letters next to the version number next to version number on Asus' Download > BIOS.) I'm sticking with the v1003 for now.

Second, the User Manual states that, if you can use the 10Gb Ethernet card, Thunderbolt will not be available.

Good luck!

Hi!

Yes, i know the questions about the BIOS but i dont know how downgrade it, i going to search it. When i bought the computer it was with v2002.

About the LAN card, i thought that was not a problem have it on the computer but without cable. ahahaha :D

Now my thunderbolt ports are working!

Thank you very much for your help. It is my first time with a custom-made equipment by myself and it is difficult, it would not be possible without your time and great help.

Hi!

Yes, i know the questions about the BIOS but i dont know how downgrade it, i going to search it. When i bought the computer it was with v2002.

About the LAN card, i thought that was not a problem have it on the computer but without cable. ahahaha :D

Now my thunderbolt ports are working!

Thank you very much for your help. It is my first time with a custom-made equipment by myself and it is difficult, it would not be possible without your time and great help.
Well, if your system is now working..."if it ain't broken, don't fix it." Stay with the 2004 BIOS.

I'm glad you're Thunderbolt is working. On my system Thunderbolt peripherals will occasionally show up upon cold boot. But most of the time I have to hot plug.

So, just hunker down for several hours and follow the (very good) OC guide by Dortania: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/.

I took this great advice and created a successful OC build for my GA-Z170n Gaming 5 / RX 580. Learning OC and using their very well written guide was... easy. Just have patience and focus on the details. Grabbing a pre-built EFI folder and config.plist file from other builds in the forums can lead to frustration down the road. Learn your hardware and create your EFI from the OC guide. You'll be way better off in the long run.

I'm going to start switching my other builds over to OC.

Thanks for the great advice @Stork

Dear Stork,

I have an i9-10900KF in my ProArt. I swear that I followed your guide, as well as the OpenCore guide, religiously, yet I get a black screen after I pick the "Install Catalina..." USB stick in the OpenCore picker. I spent hours troubleshooting. The only thing that comes to my mind is that I don't have an iGPU -- only a dedicated GPU. I tried with a 5700, and also with an RX 560 -- no luck. Black screen. Could you possibly share your working EFI with me? I can't think of anything else to try...

Last edited:
Dear Stork,

I have an i9-10900F in my ProArt. I swear that I followed your guide, as well as the OpenCore guide, religiously, yet I get a black screen after I pick the "Install Catalina..." USB stick in the OpenCore picker. I spent hours troubleshooting. The only thing that comes to my mind is that I don't have an iGPU -- only a dedicated GPU. I tried with a 5700, and also with an RX 560 -- no luck. Black screen. Could you possibly share your working EFI with me? I can't think of anything else to try...
hi @ieronim,

there's no EFI shared on this thread,
but just for verification, i used EFI shared on a similar build here:

i personally used it to hv base OS installed
Hope it helps

hi @ieronim,

there's no EFI shared on this thread,
but just for verification, i used EFI shared on a similar build here:

i personally used it to hv base OS installed
Hope it helps

I just tried it, and it still gets stuck. I suspect the lack of an iGPU more and more...

Back