Contribute
Register

Stork's Thunderball II Build: ASUS ProArt Z490 Creator (Thunderbolt 3) - i5-10400 - RX 580

Running into an issue with the USB Installer: Trying to install Big Sur on a new SSD.

I've got the new drive properly formatted and the Bootable USB configured... it's the same EFI @CaseySJ provided in this thread a while ago that I'm opening my current Big Sur OpenCore install with. However, when I try to run the Install Big Sur it fails and ends with the classic black apple stop sign.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Anyone tried Ventura yet? I don't have a test machine anymore so would love to hear your experiences.

UPDATE:

WiFi, LAN, Bluetooth, Thunderbolt, Wake from sleep all working so far. Gonna keep testing for a few weeks and post back.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 14.10.40.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 14.10.40.png
    206.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Running into an issue with the USB Installer: Trying to install Big Sur on a new SSD.

I've got the new drive properly formatted and the Bootable USB configured... it's the same EFI @CaseySJ provided in this thread a while ago that I'm opening my current Big Sur OpenCore install with. However, when I try to run the Install Big Sur it fails and ends with the classic black apple stop sign.

Any ideas?
If this problem still exists, press and release CMD-V at the OpenCore boot picker to enable verbose logs. Then start the Big Sur installer.

Here is the modified version of USBInjectAll.kext I modified to be able to recognize all USB ports, give it a go and make your own USB kext or just use the generated UIAC.aml along with USBInjectAll like I do (for some reason the generated USBPorts.kext didn't quite work on my specific build).

EDIT: Use it along the SSDT-RHUB.aml.
I know that this is an old post, but I can only get 8 ports mapped with the original setup (with two others present in the "Discover Ports" option of USBMap, but they don't activate when I plug in a flash drive of either type).

When I add this modified USBInjectAll (Dren's) kext (I assume it is for this motherboard), and Stork's SSDT for the Thunderbolt, I can see a total of 12 ports, but the newer ones (3.0 ports, according to USBMap) also don't fire up in USBMap when I plug in a flash drive.

I checked out post #125, and I only get those 12 ports, not the 30 that the example shows.

I'm using the latest BIOS (2601).

Everything else seems to be working. Please advise - thanks!

Last edited:
I know that this is an old post, but I can only get 8 ports mapped with the original setup (with two others present in the "Discover Ports" option of USBMap, but they don't activate when I plug in a flash drive of either type).

When I add this modified USBInjectAll (Dren's) kext (I assume it is for this motherboard), and Stork's SSDT for the Thunderbolt, I can see a total of 12 ports, but the newer ones (3.0 ports, according to USBMap) also don't fire up in USBMap when I plug in a flash drive.

I checked out post #125, and I only get those 12 ports, not the 30 that the example shows.

I'm using the latest BIOS (2601).

Everything else seems to be working. Please advise - thanks!
I recommend using

I recommend using

Thanks, @Stork. I downloaded the latest Hackintool, and with it, a ton of ports show up. So I will use it instead of USBMap to do the mapping per the instructions. Much appreciated!

OK...tried to start USB mapping using Hackintool. Though it shows a lot of "active" ports, only seven of them actually changed when I plugged in a 2.0 or 3.0 flash drive (see attached). Only two of the six 3.0/3.1 ports on the back panel are actually active, as are most of the 2.0 and 3.0 motherboard headers that the ports on the front of the case are plugged into. So - only seven active ports found when using the back-panel or mobo header ports. Any clue as to what I'm missing would be appreciated - thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 00.28.47.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 00.28.47.png
    429.5 KB · Views: 27
OK...tried to start USB mapping using Hackintool. Though it shows a lot of "active" ports, only seven of them actually changed when I plugged in a 2.0 or 3.0 flash drive (see attached). Only two of the six 3.0/3.1 ports on the back panel are actually active, as are most of the 2.0 and 3.0 motherboard headers that the ports on the front of the case are plugged into. So - only seven active ports found when using the back-panel or mobo header ports. Any clue as to what I'm missing would be appreciated - thanks!

Hi

How to proceed will depend on which version of macOS you are using and which system-defintion. Since Big Sur 11.3 the USB sub-system has been radically changed, which is why we usually recommend configuring USB with Catalina. You might not need USBInjectAll.

You certainly have way too many ports in that list, so this is dependant on what kexts and SSDTs you have loaded. The SSDT-RHUB.aml is one specifically for ASUS motherboards to reset the USB controller, but it isn't always needed. Leaving it in shouldn't cause problems.

First thing to do is mouse-click the "broom" icon in the bottom row of Hackintool. Then the circular arrows icon. This will re-load the USB ports as you have configured them. However, this will only work once you have created and loaded a USBPorts.kext so if it comes up the same, then you have to address the underlying problem.

Let us know. Perhaps ZIP and upload you current EFI folder (with serial-number removed).

:)

Hi

How to proceed will depend on which version of macOS you are using and which system-defintion. Since Big Sur 11.3 the USB sub-system has been radically changed, which is why we usually recommend configuring USB with Catalina. You might not need USBInjectAll.

You certainly have way too many ports in that list, so this is dependant on what kexts and SSDTs you have loaded. The SSDT-RHUB.aml is one specifically for ASUS motherboards to reset the USB controller, but it isn't always needed. Leaving it in shouldn't cause problems.

First thing to do is mouse-click the "broom" icon in the bottom row of Hackintool. Then the circular arrows icon. This will re-load the USB ports as you have configured them. However, this will only work once you have created and loaded a USBPorts.kext so if it comes up the same, then you have to address the underlying problem.

Let us know. Perhaps ZIP and upload you current EFI folder (with serial-number removed).

Thanks, @UtterDisbelief.

Running MacOS Monterey 12.6.1, iMac20,2.
I did leave SSDT-RHUB.aml in place, as this is an Asus motherboard.
Clearing and refreshing the ports resulted in the same ones that I had previously identified (7) plus the one associated with the LED controller on the motherboard.

EFI directory attached, SN removed.
Much appreciated!

Attachments

• EFI-221127.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 75
Thanks, @UtterDisbelief.

Running MacOS Monterey 12.6.1, iMac20,2.
I did leave SSDT-RHUB.aml in place, as this is an Asus motherboard.
Clearing and refreshing the ports resulted in the same ones that I had previously identified (7) plus the one associated with the LED controller on the motherboard.

EFI directory attached, SN removed.
Much appreciated!

Okay,

First thing you need to do is disable UTBMap.kext and USBToolBox.kext - they are for a different configuration method. You shouldn't have both these and USBMap.kext active at the same time.

Do this and then re-check the USB list after a refresh in Hackintool.

By the way, the USBMap.kext method is not native to Hackintool. That produces USBPorts.kext which I can help with. USBMap.kext is a product of "CorpNewt" etc.

Last edited:
Back