Contribute
Register

Stork's Thunderball II Build: ASUS ProArt Z490 Creator (Thunderbolt 3) - i5-10400 - AMD RX 580

Motherboard
Asus Z490 ProArt Creator
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
When all else fails, perform a CMOS Reset and then configure BIOS parameters again.
Tried that as well. Same bug. I'll give it a couple more hours of debugging else might have to give up on this board. Do you think switching to a Vision G or Vision D would be a smoother experience?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Tried that as well. Same bug. I'll give it a couple more hours of debugging else might have to give up on this board. Do you think switching to a Vision G or Vision D would be a smoother experience?
I believe you posted your EFI folder earlier so I’ll take a look. Is this a fresh install of Big Sur or an in-place upgrade from Catalina?

If it’s an in-place upgrade, can you still boot Catalina and grab a screenshot of /Library/Extensions folder?

Motherboard
Asus Z490 ProArt Creator
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Thanks for taking a look @CaseySJ!

This was an upgrade to Big Sur. I was running fine for a bit while I had my 5700xt. That card had some issues so sold that and got a 6900xt.

Worked for literally one day (maybe dumb luck or something) and then never worked again. I've got an older EFI (under this post) that was a bit neater on iMac20,1. Just tried that but was unable to boot into Catalina however :|

Attachments

• Old EFI.zip
    40.8 MB · Views: 61

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks for taking a look @CaseySJ!

This was an upgrade to Big Sur. I was running fine for a bit while I had my 5700xt. That card had some issues so sold that and got a 6900xt.

Worked for literally one day (maybe dumb luck or something) and then never worked again. I've got an older EFI (under this post) that was a bit neater on iMac20,1. Just tried that but was unable to boot into Catalina however :|
Please try the attached:
  • config.plist --> copy serial numbers into PlatformInfo --> DataHub before use
  • USBPower.kext --> this fixes the system product name
If this does not work, see if you can boot into Recovery by pressing space bar at OpenCore boot picker and selecting the Big Sur Recovery disk. If this works, then run Terminal from the Tools menu and type:
Bash:
cd /Volumes/MY-MAC-DISK-NAME/Library/Extensions
ls -l
Replace MY-MAC-DISK-NAME with actual name of your macOS SSD. This will list all kernel extensions in the /Library/Extensions folder. Either type the output and post, or capture a photo and post. If capturing a photo, be sure to remove EXIF location information first. This can be done by dragging the photo to JIMPL website.

Attachments

• config.plist
    27 KB · Views: 70
  • USBPower.kext.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus Z490 ProArt Creator
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
@CaseySJ I'm convinced you're a wizard. Booted up immediately with that config/kext file. My Fenvi T919 isn't working for some reason but that was in question before this issue.

Thanks a ton!!

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@Stork I know you're not comfortable sharing EFI's but any assistance is appreciated in terms of what changes are required for Enabling 4g decoding for Big Sur.

Thanks!

You should not need to make any changes to EFI.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
… My Fenvi T919 isn't working for some reason but that was in question before this issue.

Are both WiFi and Bluetooth not working, or only Bluetooth? Would be good to run IORegistryExplorer and post a screenshot of the XHC section (do not use ‘search’ because it collapses the device tree) and RP09 or RP21 depending on the slot the Fenvi is in.

Motherboard
ASUS PROART Z490 CREATOR
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
GT 710
Hi! Made a build yesterday with the same motherboard (Asus ProArt Z490 Creator + 10900k i9 + GT710) and everything works great with Catalina except Thunderbolt. I followed your instructions but Thuderbolt says "no drivers are loaded". Should I use your SSDT for Catalina, too?

Thanks a lot :)

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690 Aero G
CPU
i5-12600K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi! Made a build yesterday with the same motherboard (Asus ProArt Z490 Creator + 10900k i9 + GT710) and everything works great with Catalina except Thunderbolt. I followed your instructions but Thuderbolt says "no drivers are loaded". Should I use your SSDT for Catalina, too?

Thanks a lot :)
Yes.

Motherboard
Asus ProART Z490-Creator 10G
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all. I decided to update to Monterey 12.3 today. Everything works great but my boot time went from about 20 seconds to 5 minutes.

It seems that it was caused by my Samsung NVMe drive and Monterey's TRIM.

I found that setting the Kernel Quirk “SetApfsTrimTimeout” from -1 to 0 made my boot time go back to 20 seconds.