Contribute
Register

Stork's Thunderball II Build: ASUS ProArt Z490 Creator (Thunderbolt 3) - i5-10400 - RX 580

Besides first gen:
  • There has been problems with overclock, you couldn't turn on completely XMP with CPU turbo rates, for some reason was giving away problems and system just wouldn't boot.
  • RTC is not properly patched thus the boot issue.
  • All PCIs share bandwidth with different devices which limits things a lot.

• Ethernet port is as is, it needs trickery and using FakePCIID set of kext which are old and not supported by the developer any more (@RehabMan).
  • To achieve audio through integrated HDMI you need to make changes again, the use of AppleALC by itself isn't enough.
  • USB RHUB needs to be deactivated otherwise is almost impossible to map correct USBs, I had this board since almost day 1 and had to work much in order to get all USB working at the right speeds.
  • HDMI port is 1.4.... c'mon, seriously...
That's just my thoughts, I use this board as a daily driver and besides little stuff going on like with updates (BS proved to be a pain in the a** to install and had to change AWAC to RTC0 to make it boot) there is also the price tag if you ask me, not the cheapest hardware.

View attachment 503074
@dolgarrenan, thanks for spelling things out ...

Yeah, Ii feel somewhat duped by this model (probably my own fault, needing a challenge, haha)
as opposed to other Asus models (e.g., ROG STRIX, TUF) which have predecessors.

@dolgarrenan, thanks for spelling things out ...

Yeah, Ii feel somewhat duped by this model (probably my own fault, needing a challenge, haha)
as opposed to other Asus models (e.g., ROG STRIX, TUF) which have predecessors.
I don't think having a line-up at your back will prove any more efficient hardware towards future iterations, but I believe most AIBs are just rushing to launch new products every year which only makes hardware worse, most of the time it will take almost 6 months to a full year before firmware updates are solving stupid issues that for us (hackintosh realm lol) are crucial.

At any rate, the board is a premium board, no questions about it, but Asus could have done what ASRock did for the Creator, they have the resources, so I don't understand why all this PCI bandwidth sharing ordeal with such price tag.

Thank you @dolgarrenan, board arrived today and I had just got ethernet to appear in my network list before reading this with the same two FakePCIID kexts you attached earlier and the entry in OpenCore for PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x4)/Pci(0x0,0x0).
Unfortunately I don't have access to internet over ethernet currently so I can't actually test that it works. Would you mind explaining why the SSDT you attached in an earlier post is necessary if the network adapter is showing up in system profiler? Also curious if you did any other specific patches other than RTC, ethernet and audio.

Edit: since installing the two FakePCIID kexts i am getting no internet through my wifi even though it is connected with full signal, works absolutely fine on windows and my other hacks :/ I managed to get it working again by moving it from the top 1x slot to the second to bottom one. This did not fix the issue ignore this as i will start another thread.

Edit: Since we didnt get a Z490 WS i'm betting Asus is moving the WS line to the ProArt line from this gen onwards. Owned a lot of WS boards and this feels almost identical

Last edited:
I don't think having a line-up at your back will prove any more efficient hardware towards future iterations, but I believe most AIBs are just rushing to launch new products every year which only makes hardware worse, most of the time it will take almost 6 months to a full year before firmware updates are solving stupid issues that for us (hackintosh realm lol) are crucial.

At any rate, the board is a premium board, no questions about it, but Asus could have done what ASRock did for the Creator, they have the resources, so I don't understand why all this PCI bandwidth sharing ordeal with such price tag.
somewhat comforting
lol

From my understanding this board has completely maxed out the intel spec for PCI bandwidth and the fact you can configure it to your liking is very normal. I agree that their advertising regarding the 10gLAN card and TB3 ports was misleading, but it's always been the case for me that if I use the x4 slot (for tb card, usb3.1 card etc) then something on the pci bus will have to be disabled. Although I would have much preferred it if some of the USB ports were disabled instead of thunderbolt!

disagree; predecessors of a particular line give a lot of info on structures and reliability & compatibility, especially if it has versions in different chipsets (z390,b550,x570, etc)

For anyone who wants to get the 10G LAN card to work you will need to add the following kext patch:

com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion
Find: 0F84C002 0000
Replace: 660F1F44 0000

Working on Big Sur 11.1

Remember you need to put it in PCIE16_3 and it will disable your thunderbolt ports automatically

Works in both PCIE16_2 (PCIE16_1 and 2 will use 8X Lanes), or PCIE16_3 (Thunderbolt ports will be disabled).

Last edited:
the pandemy lockdowns hv wreaked havoc on this website too ...
k sm lj, buy a premium board with TB3, then cripple it
champion

@Stork or anyone see any limitations with or have experience using a similar build with this MB but with an i9 10980XE CPU?

Quickly reading through here I see @dolgarrenan says the board has been troublesome, I’m hoping to start my next build in a couple months but not looking for a challenge!

Back