Contribute
Register

Stork's Thunderball II Build: ASUS ProArt Z490 Creator (Thunderbolt 3) - i5-10400 - AMD RX 580

Motherboard
ASUS ProArt Z490 Creator 10G
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
Integrated Graphics Processor
I set DevirtualiseMmio to False in Booter>Quirks as suggested in the Troubleshooting guide. It seems like it went further in the process, but I still see the [EB|#LOG:EXITBS:START] end.

Attachments

• opencore-2021-07-18-235444.txt
    256 KB · Views: 14
  • config.plist
    28.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus ProART Z490-Creator 10G
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi. So I worked on the switch to OpenCore last night. I attached the log from trying to boot with it as well as my config file. I am using iGPU.

My screen also goes black at the end of the verbose.Have tried both 07009B3E and 00009B3E for AAPL,ig-platform-id.

Are you using display port or hdmi output? Try the other if you’ve only used one.

I’m a bit busy this week but I’ll diff your efi as soon as I can.

Edit: you are correct to set devirtualizemmio to false

Motherboard
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
Are you using display port or hdmi output? Try the other if you’ve only used one.

I’m a bit busy this week but I’ll diff your efi as soon as I can.

Edit: you are correct to set devirtualizemmio to false
Thanks for your help whenever you can get to it. I am running out of things to try and search for.

I am using HDMI. I thought the two DisplayPorts are Inputs. Is there a way to switch it to output to try that?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 22
  • opencore-2021-07-19-185229.txt
    256 KB · Views: 18
Motherboard
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks for your help whenever you can get to it. I am running out of things to try and search for.

I am using HDMI. I thought the two DisplayPorts are Inputs. Is there a way to switch it to output to try that?
Yes sorry I got confused with a different board, they are both DP in so ignore me!
  • First thing I noticed was you have nothing fixing your usb, you need to either remove the 15 port limit or create a usb map for 15 ports, (see my usb mapping guide earlier in this thread and the sample usbmap I attached).
  • ACPI folder looks fine,
  • Kext folder is a little messy, see below:

• You don't need "FakePCIID" or "FakePCIID_Intel_I225-V" kexts anymore, see my post or Storks solution (Either will work).
  • What is "AHCI_Intel_Generic_SATA" for?
  • What is "AppleIGB" for?
  • You don't need "IntelMausi" kext (See Ethernet fix).
Unfortunately I don't think any of this will affect where you are getting stuck in boot, but it's a step in the right direction :). I'm feeling confident the issue is directly related to the GPU (unless you are using an NVME drive)

Went through your whole config and seems fine, our configs are near identical other than my system def for i9 and my dGPU. Wish I could be of more help, but seems like a few people have issue with iGPU only on Z490 boards with HDMI, hopefully someone using iGPU can jump in and provide more info.

Edit: are you using NVME or SATA drives?

Edit 2: attached ConfigCompare Screenshot (My config is Sample.plist and yours is User.plist)
Screenshot 2021-07-22 at 10.31.59.png

EDIT 3: at this point I'd try disabling some onboard devices in BIOS until you can boot and check it out. It's very common for ethernet or thunderbolt to halt the boot process so try disabling them and see if you can boot. Also onboard audio might be worth disabling but unlikely to fix anything.

Last edited:
Motherboard
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
New BIOS - 2201

Screenshot 2021-07-23 at 09.44.58.png

Not had a chance to test it, nor am I in a rush (due to the vague description). If anyone updates please share the results.

EDIT: I’ve just updated successfully, can’t notice any difference yet but I’ll report back if I do.

As always your bios will restore to “optimised defaults” so make a note of your settings before doing the update or refer to the BIOS settings in OP.

Last edited:
Motherboard
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
Yes sorry I got confused with a different board, they are both DP in so ignore me!
  • First thing I noticed was you have nothing fixing your usb, you need to either remove the 15 port limit or create a usb map for 15 ports, (see my usb mapping guide earlier in this thread and the sample usbmap I attached).
  • ACPI folder looks fine,
  • Kext folder is a little messy, see below:

• You don't need "FakePCIID" or "FakePCIID_Intel_I225-V" kexts anymore, see my post or Storks solution (Either will work).
  • What is "AHCI_Intel_Generic_SATA" for?
  • What is "AppleIGB" for?
  • You don't need "IntelMausi" kext (See Ethernet fix).
Unfortunately I don't think any of this will affect where you are getting stuck in boot, but it's a step in the right direction :). I'm feeling confident the issue is directly related to the GPU (unless you are using an NVME drive)

Went through your whole config and seems fine, our configs are near identical other than my system def for i9 and my dGPU. Wish I could be of more help, but seems like a few people have issue with iGPU only on Z490 boards with HDMI, hopefully someone using iGPU can jump in and provide more info.

Edit: are you using NVME or SATA drives?

Edit 2: attached ConfigCompare Screenshot (My config is Sample.plist and yours is User.plist)
View attachment 525126

EDIT 3: at this point I'd try disabling some onboard devices in BIOS until you can boot and check it out. It's very common for ethernet or thunderbolt to halt the boot process so try disabling them and see if you can boot. Also onboard audio might be worth disabling but unlikely to fix anything.
So here are the changes I have made at this point:
  • Added USBInjectAll.kext for now since I am installing Catalina. I will work on the USBMap after I get an install complete before I upgrade to Big Sur.
  • Cleaned up kext folder and config file.

To answer your questions
  • I am using a SATA drive.
  • I will also try disabling Thunderbolt and Ethernet .

Edit: I finally got the install done. As you said, the suggested changes didn't allow me to get going; however, the HDMI was the issue. I used my work Dell thunderbolt dock to get video output and that moved things along so now I have a working backup. This wasn't seeing both of my screens but at least got me to the install. Going to try a USB-C adapter for now to keep running iGPU until I can get a graphics card.

I still have to test ethernet to make sure that is working correctly. Not sure if I have everything correct from Stork's solution.

I also can't put the system to sleep.

I will work on the USB map next to make the upgrade to Big Sur.

Thanks again for everything @ctek !

Last edited:

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Updated to Big Sur 11.5.2 without any problems using OC 0.7.2. Two reboots and done!

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 6.12.44 PM.png

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Few days ago I bought Asus motherboard and all looks good but one more detail not finished. I want to connect Apple Thunderbolt 27. Someone tried to flash TB3 chip on this MoBo? which one version of custom ROM may be preferred for Asus z490 proart?

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Few days ago I bought Asus motherboard and all looks good but one more detail not finished. I want to connect Apple Thunderbolt 27. Someone tried to flash TB3 chip on this MoBo? which one version of custom ROM may be preferred for Asus z490 proart?
First, what is an Apple Thunderbolt 27?

Second, I've not flashed my Asus Z490 ProArt Creator. Just follow what I did in the OP. I have TB3 working on boot up.

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Во-первых, что такое Apple Thunderbolt 27?

Во-вторых, я не прошивал свой Asus Z490 ProArt Creator. Просто следите за тем, что я сделал в ОП. У меня TB3 работает над загрузкой.
it is a display. I have a two apple displays and want to use it on my new motherboard. I read that @CaseySJ has flashed the z390 and z490 motherboards he uses ... I hope he sees this post :) He knows the answer for sure)