Contribute
Register

Stork's Thunderball II Build: ASUS ProArt Z490 Creator (Thunderbolt 3) - i5-10400 - RX 580

Are you using display port or hdmi output? Try the other if you’ve only used one.

I’m a bit busy this week but I’ll diff your efi as soon as I can.

Edit: you are correct to set devirtualizemmio to false
Thanks for your help whenever you can get to it. I am running out of things to try and search for.

I am using HDMI. I thought the two DisplayPorts are Inputs. Is there a way to switch it to output to try that?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 66
  • opencore-2021-07-19-185229.txt
    256 KB · Views: 55
Thanks for your help whenever you can get to it. I am running out of things to try and search for.

I am using HDMI. I thought the two DisplayPorts are Inputs. Is there a way to switch it to output to try that?
Yes sorry I got confused with a different board, they are both DP in so ignore me!
  • First thing I noticed was you have nothing fixing your usb, you need to either remove the 15 port limit or create a usb map for 15 ports, (see my usb mapping guide earlier in this thread and the sample usbmap I attached).
  • ACPI folder looks fine,
  • Kext folder is a little messy, see below:

• You don't need "FakePCIID" or "FakePCIID_Intel_I225-V" kexts anymore, see my post or Storks solution (Either will work).
  • What is "AHCI_Intel_Generic_SATA" for?
  • What is "AppleIGB" for?
  • You don't need "IntelMausi" kext (See Ethernet fix).
Unfortunately I don't think any of this will affect where you are getting stuck in boot, but it's a step in the right direction :). I'm feeling confident the issue is directly related to the GPU (unless you are using an NVME drive)

Went through your whole config and seems fine, our configs are near identical other than my system def for i9 and my dGPU. Wish I could be of more help, but seems like a few people have issue with iGPU only on Z490 boards with HDMI, hopefully someone using iGPU can jump in and provide more info.

Edit: are you using NVME or SATA drives?

Edit 2: attached ConfigCompare Screenshot (My config is Sample.plist and yours is User.plist)
Screenshot 2021-07-22 at 10.31.59.png

EDIT 3: at this point I'd try disabling some onboard devices in BIOS until you can boot and check it out. It's very common for ethernet or thunderbolt to halt the boot process so try disabling them and see if you can boot. Also onboard audio might be worth disabling but unlikely to fix anything.

Last edited:
New BIOS - 2201

Screenshot 2021-07-23 at 09.44.58.png

Not had a chance to test it, nor am I in a rush (due to the vague description). If anyone updates please share the results.

EDIT: I’ve just updated successfully, can’t notice any difference yet but I’ll report back if I do.

As always your bios will restore to “optimised defaults” so make a note of your settings before doing the update or refer to the BIOS settings in OP.

Last edited:
Yes sorry I got confused with a different board, they are both DP in so ignore me!
  • First thing I noticed was you have nothing fixing your usb, you need to either remove the 15 port limit or create a usb map for 15 ports, (see my usb mapping guide earlier in this thread and the sample usbmap I attached).
  • ACPI folder looks fine,
  • Kext folder is a little messy, see below:

• You don't need "FakePCIID" or "FakePCIID_Intel_I225-V" kexts anymore, see my post or Storks solution (Either will work).
  • What is "AHCI_Intel_Generic_SATA" for?
  • What is "AppleIGB" for?
  • You don't need "IntelMausi" kext (See Ethernet fix).
Unfortunately I don't think any of this will affect where you are getting stuck in boot, but it's a step in the right direction :). I'm feeling confident the issue is directly related to the GPU (unless you are using an NVME drive)

Went through your whole config and seems fine, our configs are near identical other than my system def for i9 and my dGPU. Wish I could be of more help, but seems like a few people have issue with iGPU only on Z490 boards with HDMI, hopefully someone using iGPU can jump in and provide more info.

Edit: are you using NVME or SATA drives?

Edit 2: attached ConfigCompare Screenshot (My config is Sample.plist and yours is User.plist)
View attachment 525126

EDIT 3: at this point I'd try disabling some onboard devices in BIOS until you can boot and check it out. It's very common for ethernet or thunderbolt to halt the boot process so try disabling them and see if you can boot. Also onboard audio might be worth disabling but unlikely to fix anything.
So here are the changes I have made at this point:
  • Added USBInjectAll.kext for now since I am installing Catalina. I will work on the USBMap after I get an install complete before I upgrade to Big Sur.
  • Cleaned up kext folder and config file.

To answer your questions
  • I am using a SATA drive.
  • I will also try disabling Thunderbolt and Ethernet .

Edit: I finally got the install done. As you said, the suggested changes didn't allow me to get going; however, the HDMI was the issue. I used my work Dell thunderbolt dock to get video output and that moved things along so now I have a working backup. This wasn't seeing both of my screens but at least got me to the install. Going to try a USB-C adapter for now to keep running iGPU until I can get a graphics card.

I still have to test ethernet to make sure that is working correctly. Not sure if I have everything correct from Stork's solution.

I also can't put the system to sleep.

I will work on the USB map next to make the upgrade to Big Sur.

Thanks again for everything @ctek !

Last edited:
Updated to Big Sur 11.5.2 without any problems using OC 0.7.2. Two reboots and done!

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 6.12.44 PM.png

Few days ago I bought Asus motherboard and all looks good but one more detail not finished. I want to connect Apple Thunderbolt 27. Someone tried to flash TB3 chip on this MoBo? which one version of custom ROM may be preferred for Asus z490 proart?

Few days ago I bought Asus motherboard and all looks good but one more detail not finished. I want to connect Apple Thunderbolt 27. Someone tried to flash TB3 chip on this MoBo? which one version of custom ROM may be preferred for Asus z490 proart?
First, what is an Apple Thunderbolt 27?

Second, I've not flashed my Asus Z490 ProArt Creator. Just follow what I did in the OP. I have TB3 working on boot up.

Во-первых, что такое Apple Thunderbolt 27?

Во-вторых, я не прошивал свой Asus Z490 ProArt Creator. Просто следите за тем, что я сделал в ОП. У меня TB3 работает над загрузкой.
it is a display. I have a two apple displays and want to use it on my new motherboard. I read that @CaseySJ has flashed the z390 and z490 motherboards he uses ... I hope he sees this post :) He knows the answer for sure)

USB Mapping Guide

As noted in the latest OpenCore Release (0.6.7) there is a potential issue with Big Sur 11.3 where a boot loop can happen when "XhciPortLimit" is set to "True" (You will likely have this set to true if you haven't made a USB map yet). There is no way to know if the issue will affect this board but it makes sense to have a USB map ready so we can disable this Kernel Quirk and be more future-proofed.

We now know that as of Big Sur 11.3 USB will be completely broken on this board when using USBInjectAll, so it's important to create a map before you update, if you are doing a fresh install of Big Sur I'd advice to start with a version older than 11.3 and update after you have a working usbmap.
Update: The only working ports are HS in the rear type-C ports.

1. Choosing 15 Ports:

Here are all ports on our motherboard:

View attachment 511825
The maximum number of ports for any single controller is 15 so we need to decide which ports from the XHC controller we want to keep out of the potential 26 :crazy:. Our USB3 ports are actually two separate ports: USB2(HS) and USB3(SS). There are 3 ports we can ignore as they are not used by the macOS at all: HS12 (LED Controller), USR1 & USR2.

Now we need to make a list of all the HS and SS ports we want to keep, I recommend writing it down in note form. Here is what I went with as an example: HS01, HS02, HS03, HS04, HS07, HS09, HS10, HS11, SS01, SS02, SS03, SS04, SS07, SS09, SS10.

I removed ports 5 & 6 completely since they are the slowest. I also removed the HS capability from the Type-C ports on the back since only iOS devices use it for syncing, which I will do with my Front Panel type-c connector instead.

2. System Preparation:

ALWAYS HAVE A USB RECOVERY BOOT HANDY!! If you miss some of these files you may not be able to boot.

Files:

OC Config
  • Set Kernel/Quirks/XhciPortLimit to True
  • Make sure your config includes all the files we've added.
Restart Computer

3. Creating the map in USBMap:

Open USBMap.command and click "D" to discover ports. You should see a list of 30 items (26 + 4), if not then you may have missed something from the System Preparation section. Click "Q" to return to the main menu.

Now click "P" to Edit & Create USBMap.kext. I like to start by clicking "N" to remove all ports from the selection.
Then we're going to enter a comma separated list of all the ports we want to keep. e.g. "1,2,3".
We should now see Populated: XHC: 15, AppleUSBXHCITR: 4 at the bottom of this list.

View attachment 511826

OK, we have a list of 15 ports, great! But don't break out the champagne, yet. Now we need to figure what the correct connector type is for each port, I am only going to cover the ports that are actually on this board (we don't have USB2 external ports).

"3" - USB3 Type-A
"9" - USB Type-C
"10" - USB Type-C where ACPI port changes if you flip the connector (Our internal USB3.1 header does this).
"255" - Internal (for Bluetooth only)

As you may have noticed from your USBMap list, all ports are set to type "3" which is USB 3 Type-A
Lets start by correctly setting our internal Bluetooth (port 9 / HS11) to "255"
T:11:255

Now lets add the Type C ports using type 9, like so:
T:13,14:9

Remember to set the Thunderbolt ports to Type C too:
T:27,28,29,30:9

Finally we need to deal with the Front USB3.1 header, set this to type 10:
T:7,23:10

4. Finishing up:

Now that you have a list of 15 XHC ports and 4 Thunderbolt ports with the correct connector type set we can generate our kext.

1. Click "K" Build USBMap.kext, which will create a USBMap.kext file in the "Results" folder of USBMap.
2. Copy "USBMap.kext" to OC/Kexts
3. Remove: USBInjectAll-400series-Dren.kext
4. Set Kernel/Quirks/XhciPortLimit to False (V Important)
5. Update config to reflect these changes.

Restart

5. Confirming it Works:

System profiler:
View attachment 511827

USBMap after applying the new map we created

View attachment 511848

Congrats, now you have a fully working USBmap :headbang:

Final Thoughts:

I have always used a different app to make USB maps (Hackintool), the GUI is a lot cleaner and easier to understand. The reason I made this guide with USBmap was because the Thunderbolt ports will not show up in Hackintool without removing the TB3 Hot swap SSDT. Creating a map in Hackintool will essentially omit the entire Thunderbolt controller in a kind of "ignored" state, this means the rear USB3 type C will still work but won't be listed in system profiler. I wish I knew more to know where the line between cosmetics and functionality lie between the two methods but based on all my research I am confident this is the best approach.

---

More to come, feel free to leave suggestions on how I can improve it. Apologies for grammar / formatting.

References: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/usb/#macos-and-the-15-port-limit

EDIT: The front USB 3.1 Header changes ACPI port (HS07/SS07) depending which way you plug it in.
Set HS07 and SS07 to type 10 instead of 9.

EDIT: Noted that rear usb type c ports still work at HS speeds without a usbmap (useful for recovery).
In Step 3 I am not getting "Populated: XHC: 15, AppleUSBXHCITR: 4" at the bottom of the list after entering my 15 ports. Instead I am getting "Populated: XHC: 15, pci8086,15ec: 4". (See attached screenshot). Is there something I am doing incorrectly?

Attachments

• Edit USB 2.png
    Edit USB 2.png
    373.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
In Step 3 I am not getting "Populated: XHC: 15, AppleUSBXHCITR: 4" at the bottom of the list after entering my 15 ports. Instead I am getting "Populated: XHC: 15, pci8086,15ec: 4". (See attached screenshot). Is there something I am doing incorrectly?
This is fine, I assume this is happening because you are not using the Thunderbolt Hot Swap SSDT that @Stork provided. You'll have to redo the map if you decided to use his SSDT later. I need to update the guide since he provided an updated thunderbolt guide.

Otherwise your map is looking perfect!

Back