Contribute
Register

Stork's Thunderball II Build: ASUS ProArt Z490 Creator (Thunderbolt 3) - i5-10400 - RX 580

Would you say this board is better than the gigabyte z490 vision d?
It depends upon what your use/requirements are for your computer system. I have Thunderbolt 3/2 peripherals so that's why I built the Asus ProArt Z490 Creator...as I stated in my OP.

However, if you have a Thunderbolt peripheral that requires the use of the Thunderbolt buss, then I'd recommend you get the Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (if you can find one) and use @CaseySJ's Golden Build description.

I was torn between this and the Vision D. I have an Apollo Twin Thunderbolt 1/2 that works perfectly with my current build which is a Z97-A USB. I ended up going with the Creator over the Vision D because I was successful with Asus, and I have a Samsung SSD which has issues on the Vision D. I had the opportunity to buy the Vision D yesterday but went with the Creator.

Could you elaborate on Thunderbolt buss compared to Thunderbolt 1,2,3?

Last edited:
It depends upon what your use/requirements are for your computer system. I have Thunderbolt 3/2 peripherals so that's why I built the Asus ProArt Z490 Creator...as I stated in my OP.

However, if you have a Thunderbolt peripheral that requires the use of the Thunderbolt buss, then I'd recommend you get the Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (if you can find one) and use @CaseySJ's Golden Build description.
Hey guys! I tried to find Vision D, but buying it at an adequate price is simply unrealistic, and in my country it is not there either. I want to get a full-fledged macOS without bugs and errors. The system is needed for video production and photo processing.

What would you suggest, Vision G or Creator? Will both of them work at full strength or is the Vision G better?

The Creator only has 8 pins to power the processor, will that be enough for the i9-10850K, or maybe not enough power? I would be very grateful for help with the choice, otherwise I have been thinking for 2 weeks already))))

If you have any questions, problems with the Creator board, can I count on help here? The board is very attractive for its capabilities, but I'm worried that everything works as expected, otherwise it costs $ 450 in my country (((

I was torn between this and the Vision D. I have an Apollo Twin Thunderbolt 1/2 that works perfectly with my current build which is a Z97-A USB. I ended up going with the Creator over the Vision D because I was successful with Asus, and I have a Samsung SSD which has issues on the Vision D. I had the opportunity to buy the Vision D yesterday but went with the Creator.

Could you elaborate on Thunderbolt buss compared to Thunderbolt 1,2,3?
See the @CaseySJ thread which I referenced above. He has dealt with numerous uses who have Apollo Thunderbolt devices. If the Vision D needed its TB chipset modified to use the Apollo, then you are better off getting a Vision D as he has the fixes needed for Apollo.
If you have any questions, problems with the Creator board, can I count on help here? The board is very attractive for its capabilities, but I'm worried that everything works as expected, otherwise it costs $ 450 in my country (((
My system is working fine for my use which uses my older audio peripherals via my Other World Computing TB3 dock with a Firewire port. I'm using a Dell P2715 4K monitor now (which I bought used for a nice price). My last couple of motherboard systems have been Asus, and I've not have any problems using them.

See the @CaseySJ thread which I referenced above. He has dealt with numerous uses who have Apollo Thunderbolt devices. If the Vision D needed its TB chipset modified to use the Apollo, then you are better off getting a Vision D as he has the fixes needed for Apollo.

My system is working fine for my use which uses my older audio peripherals via my Other World Computing TB3 dock with a Firewire port. I'm using a Dell P2715 4K monitor now (which I bought used for a nice price). My last couple of motherboard systems have been Asus, and I've not have any problems using them.
The main thing for me is that Final Cut, photoshop and hard drives work. Thunderbolt is really not even needed) Someone wrote that this board seems to have some problems with Safari. Are you okay with him?

The main thing for me is that Final Cut, photoshop and hard drives work. Thunderbolt is really not even needed) Someone wrote that this board seems to have some problems with Safari. Are you okay with him?
If you don't need Thunderbolt, then you might be paying a premium for the Creator. Safari works, although my main browser is FireFox.

Well, it has a good audio chip, a lot of connectors for fans and a pump, connectors for temperature sensors and it looks beautiful, strictly + someone has already assembled a hackintosh, and as I understand it, everything is OK. It looks like I will still take the Creator, I hope I will not regret it. Tell me, why is this assembly not in the "Golden build" section?

I'll need it for my UAD Apollo ;)

The Vision D is hard to find in my country.
Then go for the Asus ProArt Z490 Creator. I can recommend it. I have the TB3 connected to a One World Computing (OWC) TB3 dock. I have a TB3 external NVMe drive and a Firewire audio interface to the dock. Works as expected.

I assumed by that post Thunderbolt devices including UAD Apollo would work as expected. Are there known issues with Apollo devices and this board?

Back