Contribute
Register

Stork's Thunderball II Build: ASUS ProArt Z490 Creator (Thunderbolt 3) - i5-10400 - AMD RX 580

Motherboard
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
This has crossed my mind now that I'm testing more TB3 devices: Apollo, TB3 NVME enclosures and TB3 to 10Gbe LAN for my NAS (I really wish Asus gave us one of these instead of that useless 10g lan card).

Regarding the ports; PCIE3 is not an option because it will disable the onboard TB3 ports, and using PCIE2 is going to split the x16 bandwidth on PCIE1 in half (8x8), since I'm using a big GFX I don't really want to reduce PCIE1 to 8x unless its absolutely necessary. Which just leaves me stunned as to why they didn't add a dedicated 4x slot like on many other Asus high end boards :( I've been trying to deal with it but the PCIE layout on this board really bugs me.

I have a bunch of Asus ThunderboltEX iterations here and non of them work on this board as they require the header cable to be connected to even configure it in bios. I don't own a GC-Titan ridge card to test that.

It's unlikely BIOS will have a way to configure additional TB3 cards (especially when used in PCIE2 slot), but if you find a way to make it work it would be great to know how you did it. Good Luck!
Aiming to do a firmware flash and see...currently without flashing on the Titan Ridge. I can have the second card recognized in Windows, and the device is recognized, as well. It just doesn't show up at all in disk management. This is also a G-Speed 20TB RAID. So I think I'm also testing the hardest device possible. I think it needs its own drivers. But the board itself doesn't show up in macOS on the Thunderbolt section of System Report which is needed for devices that need their own drivers. So..IDK?

And, yea, this guy was able to use the ThunderboltEX with no header or BIOS support so it should work/

Also, from what I've read, and I might be totally wrong here - the difference between x16 and x8 is negligible, often considered to be under 2%, at least at our realm of usage. Now, x4 has a huge drop yes, but I think if you were to go GPU and TB3 card, and ran benches, you wouldn't see much of a difference (or render time on a project, as I find more applicable and useful than a silly arbitrary bench number)

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
UHD 630
threema-20210329-204416907.mp4_snapshot_00.38.329.jpg

I can't get video output on the installer. This is my second build, I did everything step by step. But the iGPU isn't working. It stops at:

Code:
gioscreenlockstate 3 hs 0 bs 0 now 0

And shows a black screen after that, i7-10700K with Intel 630, I tried with a RX 570 from another build (and an empty framebuffer on the iGPU) and it boots flawlessly, I even got my Intel wifi working.
But I can't get it to work only with the iGPU, and buying another GPU is out of the question in these times.
I tried with 00009B3E and 07009B3E framebuffer, I tried with the fixes of the dortania guide (The WhateverGreen fixes), and nothing.

Here's my EFI:

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    14.6 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
UHD 630
Couldn't make the iGPU to display output, got a GT 710. I managed to install the OS, but Thunderbolt shows "No drivers are loaded".

Motherboard
Asus ProART Z490-Creator 10G
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
but Thunderbolt shows "No drivers are loaded".
This is normal, unless you have a real Mac or if you flash the firmware of the Titan ridge chip (not recommended).

gioscreenlockstate 3 hs 0 bs 0 now 0
I had a look at you config and didn't see anything particularly out of place, which version of OC are you using? Because it seems like an older version. I ran the config through the sanity check and got some minor errors but nothing that should stop it booting from the iGPU. Since I have a dedicated GPU it's not easy to test but I will get around to testing iGPU only at some point.

Edit: Were you using the HDMI output on the motherboard? Some people are having issues with the HDMI output so check it with the displayport connection to rule that out

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte H170M-D3H
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Is it worth it to get the 10850K + Z490 ProArt Creator for ~800 USD?

I'm not in a hurry for a new audio build, am just wondering if this is a good time
-considering 11th gen pushing the 10th gen inlet prices down
-the next Apple M1 might take over the world
-GPU shortage which means i'll have to sit around with an empty shell, etc.

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@meowmers, I would think so. But, the Creator is expensive if you don't need Thunderbolt 3. If you don't need TB3, then save $100 and get a good non TB motherboard.

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator
CPU
i5-10600K
Graphics
RX 5700
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I'll need it for my UAD Apollo ;)

The Vision D is hard to find in my country.
Where are you @meowmers ?

I know it may not be an even distribution, but from this part of the world, online ordering is quite open & accessible (ebay, amazon.com, even newegg).
Having worked with both Gigabyte Designare and Z490 ProArt, the Vision D seems like a cleaner solution, with a much larger user base (i.e community support).

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'll need it for my UAD Apollo ;)

The Vision D is hard to find in my country.
Then go for the Asus ProArt Z490 Creator. I can recommend it. I have the TB3 connected to a One World Computing (OWC) TB3 dock. I have a TB3 external NVMe drive and a Firewire audio interface to the dock. Works as expected.

Motherboard
Asus ProART Z490-Creator 10G
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Is it worth it to get the 10850K + Z490 ProArt Creator for ~800 USD?
If you are only using MacOS and the current M1 offerings are within your hardware requirements then I'd say an M1 is a lot more "worth it". There are some great threads discussing this at length on the forum.

I'm not in a hurry for a new audio build, am just wondering if this is a good time
-considering 11th gen pushing the 10th gen inlet prices down
-the next Apple M1 might take over the world
-GPU shortage which means i'll have to sit around with an empty shell, etc.
Depends which way you look at it, if you are set on building a hackintosh then I'd do it sooner rather than later while 10th gen parts are still readily available. I have my doubts that we'll see an 11th gen intel core mac in the future but that is just me speculating.

It's important to note that you can't run Mojave on this board or any other Z490 board so you'll be saying goodbye to any 32-bit audio plugins you're using. Edit: Apparently there are ways of doing this now but I can't comment on how successful it is.

I'm currently using two TB3 Apollos and a UAD DSP PCIe card in the second PCIe1x slot. and its running like an absolute dream.

Last edited: