Contribute
Register

Stork's Son-of-Zorro Build: Core i7-2700K - GA-Z68X-UD3H - HD 6850

Status
Not open for further replies.
@partimers, @pastrychef & @trs96,

The Z68X-UD3H motherboard does not have a macOS compatible USB 3 chipset. tonymacx86 published a guide back in the day to turn off the NEC/Renesas 3rd Party USB 3.0 chipset in the BIOS. So, a compatible USB 3 PCIe card is the only way to go if you want USB 3.0/3.1/Type-C for peripherals.

@partimers, @pastrychef & @trs96,

The Z68X-UD3H motherboard does not have a macOS compatible USB 3 chipset. tonymacx86 published a guide back in the day to turn off the NEC/Renesas 3rd Party USB 3.0 chipset in the BIOS. So, a compatible USB 3 PCIe card is the only way to go if you want USB 3.0/3.1/Type-C for peripherals.

Gotcha @Stork. And in the case I would go with something like Inatek KT4004, I suppose it is either not needed or even not possible to work on a SSDT for those ports, right? And in that case would I be able to wake/sleep the machine successfully? Do you have experience with such a board?

Are SSDT needed in order to make the USB2 ports behave well as well?

Gotcha @Stork. And in the case I would go with something like Inatek KT4004, I suppose it is either not needed or even not possible to work on a SSDT for those ports, right? And in that case would I be able to wake/sleep the machine successfully? Do you have experience with such a board?

Are SSDT needed in order to make the USB2 ports behave well as well?
Good questions. As I said in my OP, my external peripherals are still Firewire, and I don't have any USB peripherals except for a USB keyboard and mouse which I use when Bluetooth keyboard and mouse can't do the job. Thus, I've never created a USB SSDT which most probably is for the USB 2 Intel chipset ports. Since I haven't used a KT4004, but, since I know it uses a different chipset, you should be OK. (My HighPoint USB 3 card in my MPs add 4 USB 3 ports and works w/o drivers/kexts/SSDT or a partridge in a pear tree.) Note: in port counting, USB 3 counts as two ports if you need to do an SSDT.

As for sleep/wake-up, SoZ has always had successful sleep/wake-up w/o a USB 3 board.

BTW, you guys have inspired me. I may update the BIOS to the UEFI version; swap out the HD 6850 graphics card for a GTX 770 (which is compatible with Mojave and doesn't need Nvidia drivers) and install Mojave. (Note to self. Check on the firewire audio interface to see if there are drivers for Mojave.)

Good luck! :thumbup:

BTW, you guys have inspired me. I may update the BIOS to the UEFI version; swap out the HD 6850 graphics card for a GTX 770 (which is compatible with Mojave and doesn't need Nvidia drivers) and install Mojave. (Note to self. Check on the firewire audio interface to see if there are drivers for Mojave.)

Good luck! :thumbup:

Yaaaaay! We will be watching :D Aren't you considering an RX 560? :D. I still need to first purchase a new case for doing the revamp on my Z68X, and that will need to wait till my next trip to the US of A next month. But I am already studying and having all prepared for when it comes.

Yaaaaay! We will be watching :D Aren't you considering an RX 560? :D. I still need to first purchase a new case for doing the revamp on my Z68X, and that will need to wait till my next trip to the US of A next month. But I am already studying and having all prepared for when it comes.
Well, the type of graphics card depends upon what you want to do with it. Be advised that IIRC the RX 560 is not natively supported - only the 570/580. See @Gigamaxx's posts in General Hardware and Graphics forum sections. My olde GTX 770 is more than enough for my needs, which I recently found the card for ~$80 USD plus shipping, and does not require the Nvidia drivers (natively supported as it's a "super GTX 680"). See the graphics card hierarchy post that's a sticky in the Graphics forum section for how graphics cards compare with one another.

Well, the type of graphics card depends upon what you want to do with it. Be advised that IIRC the RX 560 is not natively supported - only the 570/580. See @Gigamaxx's posts in General Hardware and Graphics forum sections.

Apple says that the MSI RX560 4GB is fully Supported for the Mac Pro 2010 and 2012 editions. So that means support for Hacks too. Everyone I've seen using one reports it works OOB with HS 10.13.4+ or Mojave.

Screen_Shot_4.png

@trs96, @partimers, I hereby stand corrected. ;) It had to happen at least once in my life. :mrgreen:

Apple says that the MSI RX560 4GB is fully Supported for the Mac Pro 2010 and 2012 editions. So that means support for Hacks too. Everyone I've seen using one reports it works OOB with HS 10.13.4+ or Mojave.

View attachment 366424
Llink for the graphic? I can't find that Apple document in my bookmarks. TIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back