Contribute
Register

Stork's Son-of-Zorro Build: Core i7-2700K - GA-Z68X-UD3H - HD 6850

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated to Sierra 10.12.6 from 10.12.5 via the M.A.S updater. Update went very smooth and am now running without any problems. I hope your update went as smooth.

@Stork

I have a similar build with Z68X-UD3H-B3 and 6850. It has been serving me beautifully since 2011. I have built a new box around Z370N-Wifi and RX 560 which runs rock solid with everything working (thanks to great work of @b166ar who nicely documented everything on the post about his build).

I will pass my Z68X-UD3H-B3 build to my daughter who will use mostly to drive a Cintiq tablet for drawing and coloring on PS. Somewhere I saw you posting that RX 560 could be a cheape and effective way to move that build into Mojave (that is why I actually purchased RX560 for the new build, as I am not into gaming, so that is more than adequate).

Besides the new graphics card, my old build was never able to sleep/wake very well and USB (not only 3.0, but even the 2.0 ports) were not rock stable.

So, I plan to purchase a RX560 to allow the build to move to Mojave and was wondering if you could make a suggestion of USB3.0 PCIe cards that are known to work on this build.

Also, if you have pointers to SSDT for the USB ports on that board, that perhaps can make it be more stable. This is one of the nices aspects of @b166ar Z370N build, the SSDT for the USB making it really stable.

Thank you upfront for your help and comments.

...So, I plan to purchase a RX560 to allow the build to move to Mojave and was wondering if you could make a suggestion of USB3.0 PCIe cards that are known to work on this build...
I don't have any USB 3.0 peripherals that I use on SoZ. However, I use the HighPoint RocketU 1144C USB 3.0 PCIe card on my 2008 & 2010 Mac Pros. It has a controller for each USB port. It's not in production any more, so eBay is your best place to find this great USB 3 card. BTW, highly recommended by the Mac Pro crowd. The newer model is the 1144D, IIRC>

Another less expensive USB 3 PCIe card is the Inateck KT4004 PCIe card. It's half the cost of a used HighPoint card, and it's new. But, it has only one controller to share amount the ports. No big deal unless you're going to do USB 3 driver to USB 3 drive copies or backups.

Here's an excellent thread which I used when I was buying my USB 3x cards for my MPs > https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/usb-3-x-pcie-cards-for-classic-mac-pro.1501482/

...Also, if you have pointers to SSDT for the USB ports on that board, that perhaps can make it be more stable. This is one of the nices aspects of @b166ar Z370N build, the SSDT for the USB making it really stable...
I have only used an USB SSDT on one of my systems, Gene, and that's because @pastrychef build the USB SSDT for his Gene. The rest of my systems used the USB config.plist patches which work, and, quite frankly, I'm too lazy to create an SSDT for each of my systems.

That being said, RehabMan's SSDT USB guide thread is the one to use. Be patient and reserve some quiet time to create your SSDT as it is a PhD learning experience (in my opinion). :D

There is another thread that I have on my read list > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/release-intel-fb-patcher-v1-6-3.254559/

Good luck.

I don't have any USB 3.0 peripherals that I use on SoZ. However, I use the HighPoint RocketU 1144C USB 3.0 PCIe card on my 2008 & 2010 Mac Pros. It has a controller for each USB port. It's not in production any more, so eBay is your best place to find this great USB 3 card. BTW, highly recommended by the Mac Pro crowd. The newer model is the 1144D, IIRC>

Another less expensive USB 3 PCIe card is the Inateck KT4004 PCIe card. It's half the cost of a used HighPoint card, and it's new. But, it has only one controller to share amount the ports. No big deal unless you're going to do USB 3 driver to USB 3 drive copies or backups.

Here's an excellent thread which I used when I was buying my USB 3x cards for my MPs > https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/usb-3-x-pcie-cards-for-classic-mac-pro.1501482/

I have only used an USB SSDT on one of my systems, Gene, and that's because @pastrychef build the USB SSDT for his Gene. The rest of my systems used the USB config.plist patches which work, and, quite frankly, I'm too lazy to create an SSDT for each of my systems.

That being said, RehabMan's SSDT USB guide thread is the one to use. Be patient and reserve some quiet time to create your SSDT as it is a PhD learning experience (in my opinion). :D

There is another thread that I have on my read list > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/release-intel-fb-patcher-v1-6-3.254559/

Good luck.
Thanks @Stork, will go KT4004.

@Stork

I have a similar build with Z68X-UD3H-B3 and 6850. It has been serving me beautifully since 2011. I have built a new box around Z370N-Wifi and RX 560 which runs rock solid with everything working (thanks to great work of @b166ar who nicely documented everything on the post about his build).

I will pass my Z68X-UD3H-B3 build to my daughter who will use mostly to drive a Cintiq tablet for drawing and coloring on PS. Somewhere I saw you posting that RX 560 could be a cheape and effective way to move that build into Mojave (that is why I actually purchased RX560 for the new build, as I am not into gaming, so that is more than adequate).

Besides the new graphics card, my old build was never able to sleep/wake very well and USB (not only 3.0, but even the 2.0 ports) were not rock stable.

So, I plan to purchase a RX560 to allow the build to move to Mojave and was wondering if you could make a suggestion of USB3.0 PCIe cards that are known to work on this build.

Also, if you have pointers to SSDT for the USB ports on that board, that perhaps can make it be more stable. This is one of the nices aspects of @b166ar Z370N build, the SSDT for the USB making it really stable.

Thank you upfront for your help and comments.

Are you trying to get USB working right in your Z68 build or your Z370 build?

I've never messed with Z68, but I have played with Q77 (one generation newer than Z68) and the built-in Intel USB2 and USB3 worked fine for me without having to do anything and no additional kexts needed.

For Z170, Z270, and Z370, it's pretty much the same. The built-in Intel USB2 and USB3 worked fine as long as you kept the total port count to 15 or less. Even the USB3.1 gen 2 on these motherboards have native support in macOS.

If you still want to purchase a USB3 PCI-e card, just look for a card that uses the FL1100 chipset. FL1100 is natively supported in macOS. If you want to go with a USB3.1 gen 2 card, look for a card that uses the ASM1142 or ASM2142 chipsets. Both are natively supported in macOS.

The guides to create SSDT for USB may seem a bit confusing at first, but once you sit down and start doing it, everything starts to make sense quickly. It may help to read through the guides an extra time or two. I highly advise that everyone take the effort to get this done because it seems like every new release of macOS has required a new KextsToPatch for those who have not created an SSDT for USB. Having an SSDT will save you from having to deal with this headache.

I have an RX 560 in my Skylake box and it works very well. I've even played a few games on it without problems, albeit older, very simple, non-intensive games. The RX 560 is used by Apple in the iMac18,2 so there shouldn't be too much concern about support/compatibility.

Are you trying to get USB working right in your Z68 build or your Z370 build?

Hey @pastrychef it is for my Z68X, I am giving it a refresh as it is still a perfectly good machine. Will purchase a new case (NZXT H500) as my aging Antec Solo is falling to pieces, will disassemble everything, give it a good cleanup and give some more years to that build (including purchasing an RX 560). And for that I would like to fix USB and Wake/Sleep that never really worked well on that build for me.

On my Z370N, all is working flawlessly following this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...0n-rx560-16gb-ram.260337/page-28#post-1854211

I am willing to dive on the USB SSDT guide, I still miss some basics but will read it and try. I am not sure if creating an SSDT would solve a problem of a chipset that is not supported by macOS (Eltron, from Z68X), will keep digging and of course will share here whatever I learn.

Hey @pastrychef it is for my Z68X, I am giving it a refresh as it is still a perfectly good machine. Will purchase a new case (NZXT H500) as my aging Antec Solo is falling to pieces, will disassemble everything, give it a good cleanup and give some more years to that build (including purchasing an RX 560). And for that I would like to fix USB and Wake/Sleep that never really worked well on that build for me.

On my Z370N, all is working flawlessly following this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...0n-rx560-16gb-ram.260337/page-28#post-1854211

I am willing to dive on the USB SSDT guide, I still miss some basics but will read it and try. I am not sure if creating an SSDT would solve a problem of a chipset that is not supported by macOS (Eltron, from Z68X), will keep digging and of course will share here whatever I learn.

I didn't know your Z68 didn't have Intel USB... Sounds like a PCI-e card is the easiest alternative.

I didn't know your Z68 didn't have Intel USB... Sounds like a PCI-e card is the easiest alternative.
The only option I have on my GA-Z68M motherboard is to disable the USB 3.0 ports. The mobo still works perfectly in every other way, just never had working USB 3.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back