Contribute
Register

Stork's Son-of-Zorro Build: Core i7-2700K - GA-Z68X-UD3H - HD 6850

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stork's Son-of-Zorro Build: Core i5-2500K - GA-Z68X-UD3H - HD 6850

Hi Stork, just to clarify you're using MultiBeast 4.6.1 for your Mountain Lion install, as opposed to MB 5.X?
Son-of-Zorro is a test rig running both 10.7.5 and 10.8.2. While you need to use appropriate MultiBeast for your version of OS X that you're installing, my MultiBeast Configuration example in Post #1 is appropriate for both versions. I apologize for not making that point clearer.

No problem, thanks for being so responsive and helpful with these posts. I finally managed to keep ML running after using MultiBeast 5.2.1 last night. The last time I was working on it I'd get stuck in a continuous reboot cycle. Not sure if it was the updates to Uni/MultiBeast that did it or the configs I used in MB, but I wrote em down at least. Next is to get the HD 6850 card in and make sure I can run two monitors, then TP-Link card, test USB3, sleep, etc etc. Thanks again

Stork's Sandy Bridge Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000 - Lion

Stork,
I built my first Hackintosh over a year ago exactly based on your specs, with your hardware recommendations too. Now when I try to install Mountain Lion on a new drive I purchased, nothing happens. I can get the drive and install to boot using my unibeast disc, and then launch the install in safe mode. I have unplugged my graphics card as you suggested in the past. But when I try to boot from the new drive, the white screen shows up with the spinning wheel, and it just freezes. Can you help? Thanks.

Stork's Sandy Bridge Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000 - Lion

Have you tried all the boot flags recommended in the tutorials? I think GraphicsEnabler=Yes did it for me.

BTW. I am downgrading my rig back to the F12 bios from UEFI. I am getting random sleep problems as you noted Stork. Also the UEFI bios isn't compatible with my Cinema Display, so it will be nice to see the bios again, at the expense of slightly longer boot times (which won't be an issue if sleep works correctly).

brimcan & valkeriefire,
I moved your two posts to the Son-of-Zorro build description as brimcan was concerned about installing Mt Lion with a graphics cards which Son-of-Zorro uses and Zorro uses only HD3000.

brimcan,
Try valkeriefire's GE=No on booting with the UniBeast USB thumb drive into the Mt Lion installation. If that doesn't work, try adding GraphicsEnabler=No, AtiConfig=Lotus (for the 6850).

Finally, if all else fails, install using the HD3000 motherboard/processor graphics. You'll have to set up your BIOS to boot from the on-board graphics before removing your graphics card and installing Mt. Lion. Then, after the installation, run MultiBeast and check out your installation using the HD3000. Log into the MAS and iCloud. If that goes well, then run MultiBeast again, only selecting GraphicsEnabler=No. Then, reboot into your BIOS and change the graphics to boot from the PEG. Shut down after saving the BIOS change and install your 6950(?). Boot the system back up and see what happens. If you get into 10.8.2 OK, then you should be good to go. If not, boot with the AtiConfig=Lotus (for the 6850), and, if that works, add the AtiConfig to the /Extra/org.chemeleon.Boot.plst file. :thumbup:

Good luck.

valkeriefire,
Bingo! You've just confirmed why I can't get a clear display of the UEFI BIOS with my older 23" ACD for my Z77 test rig. I have to use an older non Apple monitor to work with the BIOS. tonymacx86 is passing this problem onto GA.

Hi Stork! I'm building a similar setup to yours and have been running into a couple issues I can't seem to fix. I'm installing 10.8.0 from scratch using Unibeast, the install goes smoothly when I've tried it, I've reformatted and started over a few times. I have audio, network, etc. working fine, but am having some issues with fans, sleep/wake functions, PS2 keyboard functionality, and USB hard drive access. I followed your Multibeast instructions for driver installs.

• Fans: The front and cpu fans on my system are pretty much full speed all the time and do not idle down.
  • Sleep / Wake functions: the system does not set itself to sleep on its own. It does power down when I manually click "sleep" under the system menu. After going to sleep, the fans and computer powers back up 10-15 seconds afterwards. I am not able to wake the system back up after this and need to hard power down the system and turn it back on.
  • Even though I selected the PS2 keyboard drivers in multibeast, I cannot get my keyboard to work. I have ordered a PS2 to USB adapter to hopefully side step that issue.
  • USB Drive Access: I have an external USB drive that is formatted for use with windows. When I connect it to my Macbook, it recognizes the drive. Connecting to the new setup does nothing.

Any ideas, thoughts? Thanks!

-Dan

• Fans: The front and cpu fans on my system are pretty much full speed all the time and do not idle down.
I'm going to state the obvious, but bear with me. First, check that you have got the fans plugged into the correct plugs. Second, make sure your processor cooler has been installed correctly. (It happens.) Finally, I'd re-seat the processor cooler with good thermal paste. I honestly am guessing what could be possible solution because I've never had this happen to me.

djstomkat said:
  • Sleep / Wake functions: the system does not set itself to sleep on its own. It does power down when I manually click "sleep" under the system menu. After going to sleep, the fans and computer powers back up 10-15 seconds afterwards. I am not able to wake the system back up after this and need to hard power down the system and turn it back on.
There are several fixes you can try. Unfortunately, you'll have to read some threads to find them. (I would have to do the same to offer a possible solution.) Most of the fixes I've seen are changes to one or more BIOS parameters. I'm not at the Son-of-Zorro's location so you'll have to help yourself. Sorry 'bout that.

djstomkat said:
  • Even though I selected the PS2 keyboard drivers in Multibeast, I cannot get my keyboard to work. I have ordered a PS2 to USB adapter to hopefully side step that issue.
The USB adapter might work. I've always used a USB keyboard and/or a Bluetooth keyboard. I know native OS X does not support PS/2 hardware as Apple never used it in their Macintoshs.

djstomkat said:
  • USB Drive Access: I have an external USB drive that is formatted for use with windows. When I connect it to my MacBook, it recognizes the drive. Connecting to the new setup does nothing.
I've only used the USB 2 ports above the PS/2 port, and only then for the USB connection to my KVM switch. My external drives are formatted Mac HFS+ and connect via Firewire or eSATA. My Windoze internal HDD partition shows up on my desktop as Unknown. So, I'd post this problem in the General Help forum section.

Boy! You have some good questions! Unfortunately, I'm not much help. :oops:

Here are the LuxMark v2 and Unigine Heaven v4.0 graphics benchmarks for the Gigabyte 6850 on OS X 10.7.5.

LuxMark v2.0
49259-luxmark2-osx-10-7-5-2013-03-11-son-zorro-6850.png

Unigine's Heaven v4.0

49258-heaven-4-0-osx-10-7-5-2012-03-12-son-zorro-6850.png

Last edited by a moderator:

I updated my Mountain Lion test partition to Mountain Lion 10.8.3 today from 10.8.2. I'm still running 10.7.5 as my production system (long story). So, if you have Z68X-UD3H motherboard and a 6000 series graphics card, you'll have an easy time updating from 10.8.2 to 10.8.3.

I used the Combo update which you have to download separately rather than using the Mountain Lion's Software Update from the Mac App Store. I never use the Software Update function from the App Store. Old habit I got from way back to the first OS X system updates. Here's my procedure:
  • Backup your system with either Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper;
  • Download the 10.8.3 Combo Update -> OS X 10.8.3 Update
  • Repair Permissions (Disk Utility);
  • Run the Combo Update, but don't restart;
  • Run MultiBeast to reload the audio kext;
    49559-10-8-3-mb-update-son-zorro.png
  • Reboot; and
  • Once back onto the desktop, rerun Disk Utilities' Repair Permissions.
That's it! :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello Stork.
I just did a clean install of ML 10.8.3 with DSDT for F12 Bios. After running MB everything is working but my USB 3.0 ports. In multibeast for usb 3.0 is says to select only one. But I do not know which one to select. I was curious if you had made a selection?
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back