Contribute
Register

Stork's Son-of-Zorro Build: Core i7-2700K - GA-Z68X-UD3H - HD 6850

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Stork,

I have basically the same system. Same mobo and same chip.
I recently fried my GTX 480 and am wondering what you would recommend for a new graphics card as the HD 6850 isn't really available anymore.

Hi Stork,

I have basically the same system. Same mobo and same chip.
I recently fried my GTX 480 and am wondering what you would recommend for a new graphics card as the HD 6850 isn't really available anymore.
I would look for a good, used GTX 760 or 770 graphics cards as they work OOB w/o any additional drivers. Same for 7950 or 7970. But, you didn't say what applications are your driving requirement(s) for a graphics card.

Reference:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...-right-now-hierarchy-chart-toms-hardware.html

I would look for a good, used GTX 760 or 770 graphics cards as they work OOB w/o any additional drivers. Same for 7950 or 7970. But, you didn't say what applications are your driving requirement(s) for a graphics card.

Reference:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...-right-now-hierarchy-chart-toms-hardware.html

Hi Stork!

Thanks for the reply. I am a commercial photographer and filmmaker. My computing needs are Adobe products, AKA running Premiere, Lightroom, Photoshop etc. I don't game or anything.

Also, I'm on Mountain Lion now. Is that a good place to stop? Or does Mavericks run well?

The other thing I was considering was getting the Z97X UH3, the Core i7-4790K and a new graphics card (GPU recommendation on this set up would also be very valuable ?) doing an upgrade to Yosemite using the rest of my existing hardware (32g vengeance ram, corsair 650 w supply, SSD system drive)

Any insights into graphics cards would be very valuable to me as I'm not super-techy and I'm finding it quite challenging to navigate through the GPU world with any precision.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Stork!

Thanks for the reply. I am a commercial photographer and filmmaker. My computing needs are Adobe products, AKA running Premiere, Lightroom, Photoshop etc. I don't game or anything.

Also, I'm on Mountain Lion now. Is that a good place to stop? Or does Mavericks run well?
Mavericks is my production system version which I have on my MacBook Pro and 2010 Mac Pro. 10.9.5 is very stable. I do not like the interface and "features" of Yosemite although I have several builds (Hector & Zippy) that I use to keep up with tonymacx86 software. When Yosemite 10.10.5 comes out, it will have the enough maturity. But, I'll probably wait to upgrade from Mavericks to El Capitan this coming Spring (2016) when it reaches version 10.11.3; El Capitan is what Yosemite should have been. We'll see.

The other thing I was considering was getting the Z97X-UH3, the Core i7-4790K and a new graphics card (GPU recommendation on this set up would also be very valuable ?) doing an upgrade to Yosemite using the rest of my existing hardware (32g vengeance ram, corsair 650 w supply, SSD system drive)
Make sure your memory is on the Z97X-UD3H's Memory Support List - make and model # - as non supported memory as been shown to be the cause of the "dreaded Haswell Freeze." Additionally, use no more than 8GB of memory to install Yosemite; add the rest of your memory after your system is up and running. Again, use only memory make/model # on the Memory Support List as the Haswell specifications are much tighter than previous i3/i5/i6 generations. :thumbup:

Same for older PSUs - make sure it's approved as Haswell "ready" or "certified." The Haswell processor has a lower power idle state which can cause non Haswell compatible PSUs to shut down, the PSU thinking that the system has been shut down.

Any insights into graphics cards would be very valuable to me as I'm not super-techy and I'm finding it quite challenging to navigate through the GPU world with any precision.

Thanks in advance.
Well, I thought I did in my answer to your first post. What do you need to know? Are you driving multiple monitors? Will you be upgrading your monitor(s) to 4K+ monitor(s) in the near future?

Keep in mind that the newer nVidia Maxwell series graphics cards (750 & 900 series) are not supported natively in Apple's OS X (any of them). But, nVidia supports the Maxwell cards only in Yosemite with their Web and CUDA drivers. It's a pain, but, if you "don't rush to fail", you can get along with this PITA. (nVidia drivers update are published several days after Apple brings out a Yosemite update, so you have to be patient and wait. See the Graphics forum section for more info.)

The AMD R9 200/300 series are rebadged versions of the AMD 7000 series cards. User's of these cards report good results when using only one monitor. When using multiple monitors you run into what they call "framebuffer" problems. (Hanging around the forum's Graphics section will get you smarter on this issue with AMD cards.) I'm still using a AMD 7950 in my 2008 Mac Pro with good results. The Sapphire R9 380 Compact ITX graphics card has the same port layout as the Apple Mac 7900 series cards, and WonkeyDonkey has it in his build with specific questions posed to him about the R9 380 on page 3 & 4 of his build description.

Lastly, unless you want to be on the cutting edge, I'd still look for a used GTX 680 or GTX 770 which are supported natively in OS X, and you can add nVidia's CUDA drivers if needed. But, be advised that I don't use the Adobe products, so I'm just reporting from what I've read.

I highly recommend you read threads in the Graphics forum section that have ask the same question or, if you can't find a thread that covers your requirements, post your question of a suitable graphics card for you use.

Good luck!

Hey Stork,

Well my system has been running great since your guidance a few months ago. Really great actually, with the f12 bios and the new graphics card working fine.

This morning however, out of nowhere (worked fine last night). I got a freeze on the chimera screen. Upon reboot I got a bios message about overclocking issues, which I had never experience before. Upon reboot I noticed the bios had reverted to f10.

Strange - when I boot now, it comes up as f10 bios, does a memory test, crashes. Self-reboots as f12 bios now, and freezes as chimera boot up. It is also frozen in the bios settings if I attempt to change them.

Very confusing. With my very limited computer skills assume this is a motherboard issue, and perhaps the f10/f12 confusion is the source?

Any guidance would be grateful as always (as of course) I am about to start a big project.

it would seem you had something get flaky in the bios and it reverted to the previous Bios.
This board has the "Dual Bios" bios feature, I don't have mine up right now but I recall getting some flip backs to the old bios when I was OC'ing and maybe when I was testing the UEFI bios.

May have to re-flash to get back to f12

Edit; if you have two sticks of ram why don't you try putting in just one stick at a time in slot one to see if your ram may have gone bad.

it would seem you had something get flaky in the bios and it reverted to the previous Bios.
This board has the "Dual Bios" bios feature, I don't have mine up right now but I recall getting some flip backs to the old bios when I was OC'ing and maybe when I was testing the UEFI bios.

May have to re-flash to get back to f12

Edit; if you have two sticks of ram why don't you try putting in just one stick at a time in slot one to see if your ram may have gone bad.

Hey Snipernick,

Thanks for your ideas:

Some questions:
1. I have 4 rams in there. You recommend going down to one at a time to test ram? Does it matter what slot it's in?
2. Procedure would be to 1. test for bad ram, 2. reflash bios again to f12 3. replace ram if necessary
3. I'm assuming in this process that if there is a bad ram and its removed I may get my bios functionality back?
4. Could OCing suddenly produce this result after months of no-incidents?

Thanks

Hey Snipernick,

Thanks for your ideas:

Some questions:
1. I have 4 rams in there. You recommend going down to one at a time to test ram? Does it matter what slot it's in?
2. Procedure would be to 1. test for bad ram, 2. reflash bios again to f12 3. replace ram if necessary
3. I'm assuming in this process that if there is a bad ram and its removed I may get my bios functionality back?
4. Could OCing suddenly produce this result after months of no-incidents?

Thanks

I would pull all of the sticks out and test one by one in Slot 1.
Normally if you can't get your system up the process is to strip it down to a bare minimum. IE just the processor and one stick of ram.

Let's see what happens then. Most of the time the general recommendation is to clear the CMOS and load the optimized defaults in the Bios but I don't want to say that just yet since it may mess up the way your Hackintosh works. Hope you remember the settings or they are in the thread here.

Was your system overclocked?

I would pull all of the sticks out and test one by one in Slot 1.
Normally if you can't get your system up the process is to strip it down to a bare minimum. IE just the processor and one stick of ram.

Let's see what happens then. Most of the time the general recommendation is to clear the CMOS and load the optimized defaults in the Bios but I don't want to say that just yet since it may mess up the way your Hackintosh works. Hope you remember the settings or they are in the thread here.

Was your system overclocked?

Hi,

I think it was overclocked a bit using the system multiplier? Does that make sense? (100x39)
I pulled all ram out and tested each one. Two boot at f10 and cause trouble, Two boot into f12 and cause less trouble.
I currently have one of the "good ones" which allows me into the bios settings.
The f10 ones seem to default to (100X39) 3.9 the f12 ones seem to default to (100X36) which is what I've been happily running for a while. It seems even the good ones occationlly boot into f10 and crash.

So...
I got into my bios settings once under the f12 bios. But after a while it froze crashed too.

I guess first thing would be to get into the bios and remove the multiplier.
Then perhaps reflash to f12 again. Seems dangerous given how unstable things seem. :0

Here's a basic question:

If I have a core i7 2700k, does that mean that my default CPU clock ratio would be 2.7 ghz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back