Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Hi Stork, hi everyone.
I am still on 10.15.7, and everything is running super smooth on my MyHeroII.
I have only one problem, and have tried to solve it for a few months now, searching TonyMac and others, and applying some ideas found elsewhere, but I can't find a solution. It's about sound.

So sound works when played on my HDMI screens (but obviously bad quality because of the screens) but on my external USB sound card (Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 v2) it's choppy, cracks, impossible to listen to...

It works a little bit better when shutting down some apps, like WhatsApp, and not having heavy pages opened in a browser. But even with these measures, sound cracks. It is the same when sound is from iTunes or from Safari on YouTube, or any other website. And on iTunes, it is better when sample rate is lower, with higher sample rates it is worse.

To me it sounds like a RAM or USB problem, but with 48GB of RAM, pressure is really really low on the system, and I have a custom SSDT file working so...

Maybe something to tweak in the BIOS ? Any ideas ?

EDIT :
Writing about my SSDT just now made me wonder if the problem might come from there. So I removed it, and it IS much better... So either a USB problem or something is wrong with my SSDT. Any experts around here ?

I never really used USB audio but here are some things you can try:

Disable XMP in BIOS.
Create a USB ports kext and use it instead of SSDT and/or USBInjectAll.

OK I will try this and report in a few days.
Any tutorial you can point to for creating a USB ports kext ?

OK that is not the one I followed to create my SSDT, so I'll try this one and report.
Thanks again a lot, always nice to get such quick and efficient help from complete strangers. I just love this place.

sorry, have never used usb sound card before but best to make sure your usb ports are setup correctly as pastrychef mentoned

OK that is not the one I followed to create my SSDT, so I'll try this one and report.
Thanks again a lot, always nice to get such quick and efficient help from complete strangers. I just love this place.
If you don't have particular uses of the USB internal to the motherboard for cards other than Wi-Fi / Bluethoot you can try to use this as USBport.kext
I do not have the problems with the USB audio that you described, apart from some strange behavior (the card disappears and reappears several times) when the sound card is first switched on, but these are solved with a simple disconnection and reconnection.
In the image you have how the USB will be configured with the kext.

Bye

Attachments

• USBPorts.kext.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 2020-12-14.jpg
    2020-12-14.jpg
    550.3 KB · Views: 51
Hi everyone,

I also own the Hero X with i9-9900K but never tried OpenCore.
I tried it out now with Simon70 EFI.
Many thanks for this.

I first updated to BIOS 2503 and managed to install 11.0.1 and since yesterday 11.1. No changes on the EFI only the Serial.

Now I have an issue when I restart Big Sur. The Hack does not restart but asks for F1 to go into BIOS settings. I simply have to save and restart out of BIOS and Big Sur starts again. No change to the setting needed at all. Might be a problem with UEFI. Somehow Big Sur might not shut down properly or changes UEFI settings? I have Big Sur on a separate SSD and also an old 14.6 OSX and Windows on two separate SSDs running in the Hack. Maybe it changes the SSD to start from in the background and fails?

Any idea how to solve the problem?

Many Thanks

Hi everyone,

I also own the Hero X with i9 9900k but never tried OpenCore.
I tried it out now with Simon70 EFI.
Many thanks for this.

I first updated to BIOS 2503 and managed to install 11.0.1 and since yesterday 11.1. No changes on the EFI only the Serial.

Now I have an issue when I restart Big Sur. The Hack does not restart but asks for F1 to go into bios settings. I simply have to save and restart out of bios and BigSur starts again. No change to the setting needed at all. Might be a problem with UEFI. Somehow BigSur might not shut down properly or changes Uefa settings? I have BS on a separate SSD and also an old 14.6 OSX and Windows on two separate SSDs running in the Hack. Maybe it changes the ssd to start from in the background and fails?

Any idea how to solve the problem?

Many Thanks
I seem to remember that Opencore imposed itself in the BIOS as the boot drive, regardless of your will and sometimes, I read here somewhere, it could cause problems.
The version in that EFI one seems to me to have that behavior, but I can't tell you if in later versions it has been fixed.

Hi everyone,

Maybe a dumb question, but did someone noticed a System crash aka Blackscreen/reboot while trying to clone or install macOS to an M.2 SSD? Sometimes even while just formatting the M.2.

Currently, I'm using an Maximus X Hero with i7-8700K, 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz RAM, Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB, 500GB Crucial MX500 and Sandisk 128GB SATA SSD.

I think I downloaded the first attached EFI in this thread but not sure..

Thank you in advance :)

Back