Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Thank you for taking the test right away and sharing the results.
Yes, Cinebench R20 is a remarkable test for the processor, it sterss it even more than what happens with a rendering created with a 3D program and I don't know how it does it, but I think it's because it is optimized to ask only that job and therefore the answer. it is even more targeted and the resources that the system reserves are the maximum possible. The fact is that the fans (if everything is set well) go to maximum, because the temperatures do the same and you realize how noisy the PC can become ...
Seasonal temperatures are probably also influencing the results compared to what normally happens and probably if you had carried out the test in a less hot period you would have obtained those 71 degrees that I did too.
However your air cooler for that 130W+ processor really does a great job! (it should investigate the stability over time, but if you do not need it, I advise you not to use it all unnecessarily, because in the best case scenario you come out with a nice cooking of the thermal paste).

I salute you and I promise you that you will be the first to be informed when my motherboard will give me some nasty surprise ;), but for now also given the heat, I avoid continuing to try to understand more, because so much going around in circles while probably aggravating the situation.
We'll see how long it lasts and in the meantime I hope others will tell me what they get.

In summary I understood that if I want to continue reading the temperature of the dGPU I cannot leave the FakeSMC family and that for the rest when I load the working processor, more than at temperatures, I have to look at the frequencies and see if thermal throttling appears, and I would be really curious to understand at what temperature indicated by my motherboard this happens ...

I salute you and thank you again for your kindness.:)
Are you sure that VirtualSMC and it’s plugins don’t work with Radeon VII in HWMonitorSMC2? This post here reported support last year.

Are you sure that VirtualSMC and it’s plugins don’t work with Radeon VII in HWMonitorSMC2? This post here reported support last year.

I searched around a lot and I had a quick look at the post you suggested to me too, but I didn't find any references to my video card, however I will re-read it with more attention.
After some searching with zero results, I tried to ask Pastrychef who is an expert here in the forum and also has a configuration with the Radeon VII, but he confirmed to me that with VirtualSMC.kext there is no way to read the temperature for that card.
I think if there was a way, he sure would have found it.
I tried the most recent versions of the kext and the app, but with no results, so it's not a question of version, at least for now, but maybe in the future the developers will implement the reading for that card too.
In the meantime I have verified that FakeSMC works the same way as Clover also with Open Core 0.6.0 (previously I had only seen it detecting values) and I have to verify with 0.6.1 so, at least for the moment, I should be covered even if I wanted to put Big Sur as an official system (but this time, except for very good news, I think I'll wait at least for the .3 release).

Thanks again for this tip.

Well, it's not my OpenCore EFI, it's @pastrychef!
link
You have to fill some stuff and make a new USBport.kext.
Good luck!

Thanks for sharing! Didn't see your answer for 11 days, sorry for that. Will try it out ASAP.

This is an EFI created for this configuration (or rather for my configuration, which in any case is totally compatible with that of this thread, from which it originates and then has been updated)
In the EFI there are minimum interventions (I'm learning ... Radeonboost is missing for example) and it was created to be able to update Catalina 10.15.6 to Big Sur Beta and has also granted updates to even more advanced beta.
I don't use Big Sur as my main system, so I didn't dig into much, but on initial inspection it seemed to me that everything was working fine.
I would be grateful to those who use it if (in full spirit of this forum) in finding possible or necessary changes or improvements, they would also inform me and the others here, in order to make the configuration of this thread created so well by Stork, valid and performing for a long time to go.
It is still in verbose mode ...
For my needs (related to the video card) I used the FakeSMC and related to then add the kext related to the GPU that tells me the temperature of the VII, I say this for those who want to go back to virtualSMC.
There are to enter the data relating to the serial etc .. and the SMBIOS is 1.1.

Being on Catalina, as the main system, I am continuing to use Clover's EFI, but this one from OC loads faster, both Catalina and Big Sur, but until I decide to work on it and study it a little more I feel more comfortable with Clover.

Share problems/success and changes/improvements, thank you ...

greetings to all
Thanks for sharing! Didn't see your answer for 11 days, sorry for that. Will try it out ASAP.

This is an EFI created for this configuration (or rather for my configuration, which in any case is totally compatible with that of this thread, from which it originates and then has been updated)
In the EFI there are minimum interventions (I'm learning ... Radeonboost is missing for example) and it was created to be able to update Catalina 10.15.6 to Big Sur Beta and has also granted updates to even more advanced beta.
I don't use Big Sur as my main system, so I didn't dig into much, but on initial inspection it seemed to me that everything was working fine.
I would be grateful to those who use it if (in full spirit of this forum) in finding possible or necessary changes or improvements, they would also inform me and the others here, in order to make the configuration of this thread created so well by Stork, valid and performing for a long time to go.
It is still in verbose mode ...
For my needs (related to the video card) I used the FakeSMC and related to then add the kext related to the GPU that tells me the temperature of the VII, I say this for those who want to go back to virtualSMC.
There are to enter the data relating to the serial etc .. and the SMBIOS is 1.1.

Being on Catalina, as the main system, I am continuing to use Clover's EFI, but this one from OC loads faster, both Catalina and Big Sur, but until I decide to work on it and study it a little more I feel more comfortable with Clover.

Share problems/success and changes/improvements, thank you ...

greetings to all
Simon, made my day! Successful booted my Hackintosh the first time with OpenCore! Thanks man! :) Now I have to work on a USBPorts.kext. Currently I use my old .aml ;-) But hey, it boot's and runs like a charm. <3

Simon, made my day! Successful bootet my Hackintosh the first time with OpenCore! Thanks man! :) Now I have to work on a USBPorts.kext. Currently I use my old .aml ;-) But hey, it boot's and runs like a charm. <3
Interesting. With OC it seems I loose 200pts in Cinebench R20. The blue one is the same system booted with OC.

Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 11.25.49.png

Simon, made my day! Successful booted my Hackintosh the first time with OpenCore! Thanks man! :) Now I have to work on a USBPorts.kext. Currently I use my old .aml ;-) But hey, it boot's and runs like a charm. <3

USBport.kext in the EFI you used is made for Maximus X Hero, so if you don't have particular things for internal connection... but there are problems or some weird things from MB in USB for your use?

Interesting. With OC it seems I loose 200pts in Cinebench R20. The blue one is the same system booted with OC.

View attachment 489576

I had higer score than Clover (but for now I continue with it)...

However in the EFI Open Core you used, even if it works fine, there are improvements and refinements to be done for completeness.
The more I document about Open Core, the more I realize it, but for now not working on the main system, I'm happy that it works.
But the proposal to carry it forward together is always valid, for all users and visitors of this thread.

Bye:)

Hi everyone, did any of you update to .7 already?

Hey Hi!

I was also looking for news about it, did you find something around, outside of this thread?

USBport.kext in the EFI you used is made for Maximus X Hero, so if you don't have particular things for internal connection... but there are problems or some weird things from MB in USB for your use?

I had higer score than Clover (but for now I continue with it)...

However in the EFI Open Core you used, even if it works fine, there are improvements and refinements to be done for completeness.
The more I document about Open Core, the more I realize it, but for now not working on the main system, I'm happy that it works.
But the proposal to carry it forward together is always valid, for all users and visitors of this thread.

Bye:)

Well, I just need two internal connectors. One for Fenvi Bluetooth, one for my Corsair AIO. I control it with OpenCorsairLink. That's the only reason. ;) In my setup, I do not use the two USB ports above the 4 port row.

Now, with a working OC, I'll try to tweak around and share my results.

cheers :)

@Simon70 nope, nothing yet :/

I just spoke to a friend that owns a MacBook Air (latest) and updated to .7 and lost all his data! Couldn't even recover. So weird. That never happened to me. I'm even holding from updating my MBP before I read some more about the .7 update online.

Last edited:
Back