Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Thanks @ed.stein and Hi @Stork, I think I understand,
even if you didn't answer me if it was only for the second monitor, but from the last sentence it seems clear to me that you said that the problem applies to everything.
Reading a bit on the Catalina forum, I happened to find that the problem with the DP occurred several times even with versions prior to 10.15.5, but I have never had problems with the RX580 (in orinoco as Stork indicated in the first installation guide and as suggested above), not even with the current card that worked a bit in orinoco at the beginning, then now it is without any particular setting. So due to the fact that it is a problem already present before, in some cases, I think it is not related to the specific of 10.15.5 and that if it worked in 10.15.4, it should also work in .5 and your solution should be in some settings. The problem is to put my hand on the fire :p but as soon as I have some time I will try and at most return to .4 from the backup.
In any case I will update the info here ... and you too keep updating us, so we save each other's headaches.

Greetings and thanks

Did you run DCPIManager to see if you were operating with the correct framebuffer for the RX 580? See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...s-z370-hero-x-i7-8700k-amd-rx-580.245074/#580
Well, that's weird. When I first installed 10.14.4 using this exact tutorial, it showed up, so I didn't even bother to look it up again. But yeah, even though it did show when I first installed 10.14.4, now on 10.15.5 it disappeared...

Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 11.40.48.jpg

I'm pretty confused about this one since it shouldn't (at least I think) have changed, but I'll try to go through that next section and see if it fixes.

Thanks @ed.stein and Hi @Stork, I think I understand,
even if you didn't answer me if it was only for the second monitor, but from the last sentence it seems clear to me that you said that the problem applies to everything.
Reading a bit on the Catalina forum, I happened to find that the problem with the DP occurred several times even with versions prior to 10.15.5, but I have never had problems with the RX580 (in orinoco as Stork indicated in the first installation guide and as suggested above), not even with the current card that worked a bit in orinoco at the beginning, then now it is without any particular setting. So due to the fact that it is a problem already present before, in some cases, I think it is not related to the specific of 10.15.5 and that if it worked in 10.15.4, it should also work in .5 and your solution should be in some settings. The problem is to put my hand on the fire :p but as soon as I have some time I will try and at most return to .4 from the backup.
In any case I will update the info here ... and you too keep updating us, so we save each other's headaches.

Greetings and thanks

Sorry about that, I thought I was clear. The problem is not regarding the monitor, it's regarding the DisplayPort, as you've seen in other posts. So it really doesn't matter if it's the main, the secondary, etc. Anyway, I'll validate my settings to match Stork's post above and see if it fixes. I'll let you know

Ok, that was a curve ball... @Stork do you know if that app would work on Catalina? It seems it's trying to read from /S/L/E. Anyway, I did change my config.plist, but it didn't work. This screenshot was taken after reboot:

Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 12.22.23.jpg

The "only" difference is that now I don't have Lilu and WhateverGreen in L/E, instead now they are located in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other

@ed.stein, I just looked at the DPCIManager home page, and noticed it hasn't been updated since 2014. So, it's not Catalina compatible. Since I'm not running Catalina, I recommend looking at

@ed.stein, I just looked at the DPCIManager home page, and noticed it hasn't been updated since 2014. So, it's not Catalina compatible.

Works ok for me :

DPCI.png

@ed.stein, I just looked at the DPCIManager home page, and noticed it hasn't been updated since 2014. So, it's not Catalina compatible. Since I'm not running Catalina, I recommend looking at

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. I have also found out some other things I might try. I'll update this thread and my update post if I find something :)

Ok, so another update to my post:

After over two weeks running the system I can say it's considerably slower! Even opening finder takes a some time, the items show up, but take some time to scroll. We're talking about an i7 8700, samsung nvme 970 pro and 32gb ddr4, that should not be happening. It's so annoying that I'm ready to install Catalina from scratch and see if the problem was updating instead of a fresh install.

And to be honest, if I didn't really need Catalina to develop on the latest xcode, I'd be "downgrading" (at this point more like upgrading) to Mojave.

So, yeah @Stork if you don't need it, stay on Mojave for as long as you can :D

Back