Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Is there a way to make these hacks sleep. every time I try putting it to sleep it wakes right back up!

Have you tried to wait a little after the immediate awakening? It rarely happened to me that there was an immediate awakening after sleep, but since I was doing something else, I did not intervene immediately and I discovered that after less than a minute or so, it was going back to definitive sleep.

Thanks, I think I'll try .3 since .4 and now .5 have bugs (https://www.macrumors.com/2020/05/2...ackups/?utm_source=feedly&utm_medium=webfeeds)

And since I use CCC I'll just stick to .3

Yes, I agree and in fact also in the previous ones I suggested the .3, for the moment.
I had read yesterday about the APFS bug (Clue in a thread on the Catalina forum), but I had also read, deepening with google, that it concerns only new installations and not existing backups only to be updated. (the text looked the same but on another site).
However, I also read about some other difficulties and problems, on the Catalina forum and therefore I am waiting a little longer before I start moving. Going to .5 would only help me to understand if a much smaller problem is solved, but at the risk of much more serious problems, I prefer to wait.

Thank you for the link.

D8C0A5D7-8EEB-4D40-8656-4E188E53DEE9.jpeg

@Simon70 @Stork sadly it did not work. I’m getting the above error while trying to install the Catalina update. I updated clover to 5911 but it wouldn’t work (Above error), then I tried using 4911 (from my backup) and it loads. Even the install is loading, but I’m not sure it’ll complete and even if it does, is this the right way?

any ideas?

Ok, so you can ignore the above message. I'm writing from the updated macOS Catalina.
The problem was related to an ambiguity (at least it looked like that) on the changelog:

For retro compatibility new Clover loads drivers from drivers64 / drivers64UEFI only if EFI / CLOVER / drivers / (BIOS or UEFI) are not present.

That was not true in my case. I had to manually copy their content to their respective folders and delete them (drivers64 / drivers64UEFI) afterwards. Only after doing that it worked.

Also, as you mentioned, SSDT-EC.aml in the EFI (in ACPI/patched) is required.

For future updaters, here's what I've done:
  1. Backed up everything with CCC and copied the current EFI folder to the backup drive (this is required in order to have a bootable drive) - otherwise you know... things happen.
  2. From Clover Configurator (Install/Update Clover), I've updated clover to 5118.
  3. Copied the kexts AppleALC, Lilu, WhateverGreen and FakeSMC to Clover/kexts/other
  4. Copied SSDT-EC.aml to Clover/ACPI/Patched
  5. From macOS Mojave updated to Catalina (using regular system update)
  6. On every restart, select macOS install from clover.
  7. Clean the kext cache: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...s-from-library-extensions-and-recache.293719/
  8. Create a kext for your USB config (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/)

Some things I've noticed already:
  • When starting the OS, the login screen on my main monitor changes to a low resolution and after login it flicks and then restores to 1080p. [Fixed by cleaning cache - Item 7 above]
  • Headphones are not showing up as an option anymore (only my USB headset is still working - the apple earphones plugged into the audio jack are not recognized). I read about audio issues in this version, so I'll try to fix it later. [Fixed by cleaning cache - Item 7 above]
  • USB drives are not working (checking if a port limit fix might solve it) [Fixed by Item 8 above]
  • :thumbdown DisplayPort is not working
  • :thumbdown Reboot takes noticeably more than on 10.14.4 (it might be some spotlight/photos indexing, not sure yet)
  • :thumbdown After over two weeks running the system I can say it's considerably slower! Even opening finder takes a some time, the items show up, but take some time to scroll. We're talking about an i7 8700, samsung nvme 970 pro and 32gb ddr4, that should not be happening. It's so annoying that I'm ready to install Catalina from scratch and see if the problem was updating instead of a fresh install.
  • :confused: VSCode required reinstall
  • :confused: CCC required update (I was on 5.1.7)
  • :thumbup: An updated Parallels continued to work normally

Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 13.51.42.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 13.51.42.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 13.51.42.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Now I'm dealing with the aftermath :D

The first thing I've noticed (hard not to), was the second monitor stopped working. Maybe it's something related to the video card. If anyone had issues with that, please let me know. I'll update this post if I find a fix before that.

Now I'm dealing with the aftermath :D

The first thing I've noticed (hard not to), was the second monitor stopped working. Maybe it's something related to the video card. If anyone had issues with that, please let me know. I'll update this post if I find a fix before that.

And so you went directly to 10.15.5 ... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
You passed me, I'm still at 10.15.4: I read a lot of problems in the Catalina forum and I don't feel comfortable, it's the first time since Mojave that I find a lot of problems regarding an update, but maybe it's because I'm going to read more often, but still I find few solved and this holds me back quite a lot.
I hope you can solve the problem with the monitor, I only use one, so I can't even know if there is also here.
You could try to switch to SMBIOS 1.1 and disable the iGPU in the BIOS (if you keep it active) and let the RX580 handle everything, but it's just an idea for a try.
Let us know if you will solve and how and if you encounter other problems with 10.15.5, so in the meantime I will also have a reference from our configuration.
Hello and thanks.

I actually read a lot about it. It seems to be related to DisplayPort monitors. I just couldn't find a solution yet. I only went to 10.15.5 because I didn't know about this issue. Using 2 monitors is essential for my workflow. Until I can fix that, I'm using my bootable backup drive (currently sending this message from 10.14.4). Other than that and the CCC issue, 10.15.5 seems to be ok. I'll run some more tests tomorrow, but so far so good.

I confirmed it is related to a DisplayPort issue. I reinstalled 10.15.5 today and plugged in another HDMI cable. The second display is working now.

If I find anything else I'll post here.

UPDATE
Ok, so everything seems to be working fine now. The login screen resolution and the audio jack. The problem was I hadn't cleaned the kext cache. See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...s-from-library-extensions-and-recache.293719/
Once that was done, everything seems to be working just like they were on 10.14.4. (note: I didn't use multibeast, I just updated the kexts with Clover Configurator and removed the ones from L/E)

I've also updated the steps at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...8700k-amd-rx-580.245074/page-123#post-2135071

Last edited:
I confirmed it is related to a DisplayPort issue. I reinstalled 10.15.5 today and plugged in another HDMI cable. The second display is working now.

Hi @ed.stein I have a question on something that is not clear to me: the problem you solved using an HDMI cable instead of the DP is related only to the second monitor?
I use the DP and I would not find myself without even the primary screen in the middle of the update phase.

Thanks

Yes, it’s that issue. As far as I understand, this is a problem with DisplayPorts. There are workarounds posted in this forum, I just haven’t tried any yet. Though I plan on doing that in a near future. But yes, that shouldn’t work with your DisplayPort.

Back