Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

@Stork sadly (I've held up for as much as I could), I'm gonna need to update to catalina... I need xcode 11.5
I know you're not doing it anytime soon, but do you know of any similar builds that have successfully upgraded from Mojave to Catalina?

I didn't wanna go through this hassle, but I'll have to...

I hope it will help you. Of course my voice is not as authoritative as that of Stork, but I can tell you that with the configuration exactly the same as that presented by Stork (before I changed the processor and video card) I switched to Catalina since Beta 1 without ever having any limitation in the functionality (as it was for this config in Mojave), except for the fact that I returned from SMBIOS 1.1 (to which I had gone for better effectiveness) to 19.1 to have Sidecar.
Now I have also returned to Catalina 10.15.4 to SMBIOS 1.1 because Sidecar does not use it very much and it is easily replaceable with some Apps and I have regained the effectiveness I had given up on.
I have been from Beta 1 to 10.15.3 with the configuration of this thread without ever having problems or limitations, now in 10.15.4 I have a problem with the USB-C port of the HERO X and a dongle (of those for macbooks) that panics MacOS on waking up after sleep, but it's a minor problem only related to waking up and I solved it by keeping the dongle off if I don't need it and I haven't had a panic for several weeks.
I am waiting for 10.15.5 to understand if it will be resolved, but if you do not have any particular needs you can update to 10.15.3 which does not present any problems.
The important thing is that you make the transition with Clover and with the primary Kekt updated to the latest version in the EFI in addition to the obvious System Backup
I don't know if anything has changed in the meantime about this need, but I remember that I could not go from Mojave to Beta 1 without adding an SSDT-EC.aml in the EFI (in ACPI/patched): the update stopped; after that addition everything is always smooth yarn even in the self-selections of the update partitions.
One last detail that I suggest you go into if you haven't done it yet, not having had to update for a long time, is the change of Clover DRIVERS that abolished the older versions, keeping only the 64, it seems to me around the version 509x, but I'm not sure and therefore since for the new versions of Catalina you need the updated Clover, you must be master of it.

Regards

Edit:
The other thing that I had taken for granted because I made it progressively over time and therefore escaped me in the list of major changes described above, is the good habit (highly recommended) to eliminate the Kext (hackintosh related) from the Library/Extension and to put them back in the EFI in their usual place.
There is a thread highlighted in the Catalina forum to read for more information.

Last edited:
@Simon70 thank you for your thorough response, I definitely appreciated it.
I've already updated all my kexts because I was going to update to 10.14.6 (I'm on 10.14.4). And I don't have any specific needs, if it wasn't for xcode 11.5 I'd stay on 10.14.x :/

Would you be so kind as to explain the exact steps you have taken to update to Catalina? I got the general idea from your message, but it seems a little bit out of order. If you remember, of course.

As of right now, I've updated all kexts to the latest version.

Thanks again!

Have you updated clover to at least version 5112? (it is the last one I installed for 10.15.4, but for 10.15.3 that I recommend the 5100 was fine too, but there are a lot of differences in the Drivers since a lot earlier so if you will use the 5112 for 10.15.3 it will make no difference , what matters is that your EFI is adapted to have all new drivers that no longer have the suffix 64, as distinction is no longer necessary.
In practice, only a folder with the name "drivers" must appear in the tree of your EFI and no longer the two folders "drivers64" and "drivers64UEFI". There inside for the drivers the differences are few, apart from the name, only on Aptiomemorifix there was a bit of confusion, as before it had been put out and then I don't remember how I found it and it still works, but I have yet to understand what has changed. so if you have problems finding it I can pass it to you).

If you have not yet updated to that version, in the meantime do that and ABOVE ALL start by making a clone (including the EFI you are using now) or Backup (call it what you want) of your system and make sure that it can also be booted from external USB. So you take away any risk.

I'm glad to be useful to you in the small of my experience, but now I can't go on, but I'll be back ....

Okay, good for CCC ....
Just one question: do you back up the EFI on the same drive that is also bootable?

... Now you need to learn more to update Clover.

What I told you about the variation of the EFI tree regarding the drivers can be explained quite clearly in this note that was attached in the update logs (now I don't know if they still put it).
I messed around with the numbers of the versions in the previous posts, however, since you're at 4911 this thing interests you.
The version in which they changed is 4986 as it is written in the note that I paste here below.
But as I said before you have to get to at least 5112 so it is good that you create an EFI with everything in place in the driver section, in the new structure, before starting the update (maybe you can also try it to load mojave, to see if it is ok, I don't remember well the variations in the drivers, apart from the fact that they must be recent).

Below is the text that I was saying, placed in the logs that can be useful to understand better what and how they changed the CLOVER directory in the EFI or where to go further:

"- New Drivers directories (r4986): drivers64 and drivers64UEFI are deprecated and now Clover load drivers from
EFI / CLOVER / drivers / BIOS and EFI / CLOVER / drivers / UEFI. The Installer takes the step for the migration without, however,
deleting old directories. Anyway the installers now only update EFI / CLOVER / drivers / leaving old path untouched.
For retro compatibility new Clover loads drivers from drivers64 / drivers64UEFI only if EFI / CLOVER / drivers / (BIOS or UEFI)
are not present. You can safely remove drivers64 and drivers64UEFI using newer revisions.
Additionally, during the migration each driver with the "-64" suffix will be renamed without it .. as Clover is for some
time 64-bit only. None of the mentioned changes affect any functionality

- Conflicting drivers:
VirtualSMC.efi is removed if SMCHelper.efi is selected.
HFSPlus.efi is removed if VBoxHfs.efi is selected or vice versa.
ApfsDriverLoader.efi is removed if apfs.efi is selected or vice versa.
Only one of OsxAptioFixDrv.efi, OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi, AptioMemoryFix.efi, OsxLowMemFixDrv.efi is allowed
and any driver that match with "aptiofix", "memfix" or "memoryfix" will be deleted.

- Drivers off (r4987): installs all drivers available in EFI / CLOVER / drivers / off. This path is ignored by Clover and is only
used as a repository, e.g., if you want to move a driver using the EFI Shell or the Finder.

A backup is always made to the root of the target volume. "

Hey, thank you for the explanation. I guess I'll have a full weekend :D

Ok ...:thumbup:
More or less everything else (at least what I remember, hoping I have not left anything out) you can go and find it in the first post in which I replied to you, but if in the process you needed something, but I don't think because I think you be more experienced than me, let me know.
In the meantime I have seen that Apple has released the 10.15.5 that I was waiting for, so now with great caution I will see if I will be able to solve my problem with the hub and the USB-C port.
If you need parts of the EFI that, being the hardware the same should be fine, let me know.
Hi and I hope to read soon that everything went well.

Is there a way to make these hacks sleep. every time I try putting it to sleep it wakes right back up!
Not a very helpful reply but I have had no sleep issues since day 1 of this build. Currently on the latest Mojave, and also using a flashed Titan Ridge Thunderbolt card in my rig, and sleep still works.

Have you checked system logs for a wake reason? Often an instant wake is down to USB either connected devices or with the system configuration. Have you got a proper SSDT made for port injection? This is usually a good first step for resolving sleep issues.

Back