Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Made a backup with CCC and copied manually the EFI folder on an external FireWire drive.

How can I boot from THIS drive, to make sure everything is working? Using the pref pane startup disk doesn't work. Neither the Clover menu. There, the ext. HD didn't show up. o_O
macOS doesn't boot from some external drives. I doubt it will be available to select it in the BIOS, as well.

You may have to make the backup drive available as a USB drive. Do you have a USB case to test it? Otherwise, take the drive out of the FW case and install it internally; then you will be able to boot it.

Hi Stork,

thx for the heads up. And you were totally correct. As soon as I swapted the drive in an usb-casing.... it was recognised. Took me 2 rounds to finallyboot up (1st round stopped somewhere in the middle and rebooted automatically).

Apart from being painfully slow, I had an strange encounter during the boot procedure.
At some point (ca. 3/4 until finish), the whole apple bootscreen got scaled down and pushed into the left top corner of the monitor, while the whole left to right bottom part looked like an arty glitch effect. This never happens with my NVMe... :shifty:

Is THIS the normal RX580 init procedure, and because my normal boot drive is so fast, I didn‘t see it?

thx again for your insight. Stay safe...
best
M.

thx for the heads up. And you were totally correct. As soon as I swapted the drive in an USB-casing.... it was recognized. Took me 2 rounds to finally boot up (1st round stopped somewhere in the middle and rebooted automatically).

Apart from being painfully slow, I had an strange encounter during the boot procedure.
At some point (ca. 3/4 until finish), the whole apple bootscreen got scaled down and pushed into the left top corner of the monitor, while the whole left to right bottom part looked like an arty glitch effect. This never happens with my NVMe... :shifty:

Is THIS the normal RX580 init procedure, and because my normal boot drive is so fast, I didn‘t see it?

thx again for your insight. Stay safe...
best
M.
I've never used an external USB drive to boot from. I wouldn't worry about the monitor fireworks unless it doesn't boot to correctly displayed Desktop.

BTW, did you checked the drive by connect it to an internal SATA port?

I've never used an external USB drive to boot from. I wouldn't worry about the monitor fireworks unless it doesn't boot to correctly displayed Desktop.

BTW, did you checked the drive by connect it to an internal SATA port?
No, just used an easy swap USB case (felt like vUSB 1.1 according to the boot time :lol:).
To give you a little more inside, why I`m doing THIS phase two:

Phase three
is all about Mojave. And therefore a shift to AFPS, although I don`t really like it
(heard problems with the Adobe Suite etc.).
And my backup buddy CLONEZILLA doesn`t work with APFS. So, I need to be 100% sure, that everything works with CCC and this additional EFI script. This time, I made a little mistake with the script. Forgot to change the „Test Mode=Y“ to „N“. So, the script didn`t start after the cloning and I needed to do it manually.

In the end it worked. I could, thanks to your help, boot from the drive. Next weekend, I`m planning to make the „direct to Mojave“ transformation and therefore I`ll ask a few questions in the next couple of days. Your posts reg. this are very well documented, but some tasks I don`t understand right now. We`ll see....

big hugs and stay safe :wave:
M.

Hi Stork,
hope you are safe and sound. I'm entering phase three and have a few "understanding" questions:

I want to make a DIRECT High Sierra 10.13.6 to Mojave 10.14.6 update and a far as I understand your posts it'll go like this:

1.) ran MulitBeast v10.4.0 to just update Clover. I have MultiBeast-11.3.0 Mojave-Edition, will this work too or do I exactly need 10.4.0?

2.) update the network and USB kexts in /Library/Extensions folder. Which are they? I have GenericUSBXHCI.kext, USBInjectAll.kext, SiLabsUSBDriver64.kext but I didn't find any .kexts with network in the name

3.)
Now we have to modify the .../EFI/CLOVER/config.plist file to USB Port Limit patch. So, using the Terminal command "diskutil list", find your EFI partition for installation drive and mount the EFI partition using EFI Mounter V3.
:ch: Backup up your current config.plist. Now open config.plist in Xcode or PlistEditorPro (my preference) and update your config.plist USB Port Limit patch to:
Code:
<key>Comment</key>
<string>USB 10.14 by PMHeart,FredWst</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
g/sPD4MDBQAA <--- Update to this
</data>
<key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
<false/>
<key>MatchOS</key>
<string>10.14</string>
<key>Name</key>
<string>com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
g/sPkJCQkJCQ <--- Update to this
</data>
Note: A simpler way is just to change the Find/Replace data items:
:ch: If you use a text editor, do the following:
Find > g32IDw+DpwQAAA== to g/sPD4MDBQAA
Replace > g32ID5CQkJCQkA== to g/sPkJCQkJCQ
:ch: If you use a plist editor (PlistEdit Pro or Xcode) or Clover Configurator, do the following:
Find > 837D880F 0F83A704 0000 to 83FB0F0F 83030500 00
Replace > 837D880F 90909090 9090 to 83FB0F90 90909090 90

Why do I need this? If I remember correctly, during my direct El Capitan to High Sierra update, I didn't do this kind of step. Is this, because of your z300 MB and I don't need to do it because I'm using a z100 MB? I have made an USB port map SSDT with IORegistryExplorer in the past, do I still need to make these config changes?

Thx a lot for your time and your help. Stay safe...
Best
M.

Hi Stork,
hope you are safe and sound. I'm entering phase three and have a few "understanding" questions:

I want to make a DIRECT High Sierra 10.13.6 to Mojave 10.14.6 update and a far as I understand your posts it'll go like this:

1.) ran MulitBeast v10.4.0 to just update Clover. I have MultiBeast-11.3.0 Mojave-Edition, will this work too or do I exactly need 10.4.0?

2.) update the network and USB kexts in /Library/Extensions folder. Which are they? I have GenericUSBXHCI.kext, USBInjectAll.kext, SiLabsUSBDriver64.kext but I didn't find any .kexts with network in the name

I would create a USB Mojave Installation thumb drive using the latest UniBeast for Mojave. Copy the MultiBeast for Mojave to your thumb drive Backup your current macOS HS. Booting from the USB thumb drive, install Mojave on top of your HS installation. The run MultiBeast for Mojave with all your system's options. MultiBeast will solve all you worrying about updating all the kexts as MultiBeast will do it for you.

3.)

Why do I need this? If I remember correctly, during my direct El Capitan to High Sierra update, I didn't do this kind of step. Is this, because of your z300 MB and I don't need to do it because I'm using a z100 MB? I have made an USB port map SSDT with IORegistryExplorer in the past, do I still need to make these config changes?
Normally, yes, Mojave USB port limit is different from the HS version. However, since you have the SSDT, you don't have to chose the MultiBeast for Mojave's USB port limit option. The SSDT takes care of the port limit from one system to another.

Thx a lot for your time and your help. Stay safe...
Best
M.
Welcome. Stay safe yourself and yours.

Hi Stork,

hope you‘re doing fine. Today was the day.... executed phase three.

I did a direct update over High Sierra. After using Multibeast for Mojave, I started the Mojave 10.14.6 install. Everything went as you told.....

....BUT a few things bugging me a lot.

1.) I now have two additional boot entries in Clover:
- FileVault Prebooter from Preboot
- something withe preboot from preboot

These didn‘t show up under High Sierra. Can I get rid of them? Or, are they totally normal and I need them?

2.) I have a very annoying boot glitch (red stripes, the screen scaled down to the to left corner and a color stripe oncthe bottom part from left to right). Also, this didn‘t happen under High Sierra. I still using the bios 2202, so I didn‘t use any NVram emulation (hope this is the correct term). How can I get rid of this issue as well?

thx a lot for your insight and help.
Best
M.

@Stork sadly (I've held up for as much as I could), I'm gonna need to update to catalina... I need xcode 11.5
I know you're not doing it anytime soon, but do you know of any similar builds that have successfully upgraded from Mojave to Catalina?

I didn't wanna go through this hassle, but I'll have to...

Hi Stork,

hope you're safe and sound. Was able to eliminate the above issues (WEG and hide in CC did the magic), but
one USB port makes some trouble. It isn't recognised at all. In your "update to Mojave" post, you mentioned:

Code:
<key>Comment</key>
               <string>USB 10.14 by PMHeart,FredWst</string>
               <key>Disabled</key>
               <false/>
               <key>Find</key>
               <data>
               g/sPD4MDBQAA <--- Update to this
               </data>
               <false/>
               <key>MatchOS</key>
               <string>10.14</string>
               <key>Name</key>
               <key>Replace</key>
               <data>
               g/sPkJCQkJCQ <--- Update to this
               </data>

I haven't go these lines in my config.plist. :eek:
Just these:

Code:
<key>Comment</key>
                <string>USB port limit patch #1 10.14.x modify by DalianSky(credit ydeng) 10.14.x</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                g/sPDw==
                </data>
                <false/>
                <key>MatchOS</key>
                <string>10.14.x</string>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                g/s/Dw==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>USB port limit patch #2 10.14.x modify by DalianSky(credit PMHeart) 10.14.x</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                g+MP0w==
                </data>
                <false/>
                <key>MatchOS</key>
                <string>10.14.x</string>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                g+M/0w==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>USB port limit patch #3 10.14.x modify by DalianSky(credit PMHeart) 10.14.x</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                g/sPDw==
                </data>
                <false/>
                <key>MatchOS</key>
                <string>10.14.x</string>
                <key>Name</key>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                g/s/Dw==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>USB port limit patch #4 10.14.x modify by DalianSky(credit PMHeart) 10.14.x
</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                g/8PDw==
                </data>
                <false/>
                <key>MatchOS</key>
                <string>10.14.x</string>
                <key>Name</key>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                g/8/Dw==
                </data>

Could this caused the problem? Or is it my years, years old USB power property injection (to share iPhones) with is the bad cop here??

Code:
<key>Comment</key>
                    <string>Change EC0 to EC</string>
                    <key>Disabled</key>
                    <false/>
                    <key>Find</key>
                    <data>
                    RUMwXw==
                    </data>
                    <key>Replace</key>
                    <data>
                    RUNfXw==