Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

@Stork what Bios are you on with the Hero X?
Just curious if I should update it.
I'm still on the 1802. I won't be able to update until later as I'm visiting family for the Easter holiday.

Thanks for the heads up on the newer BIOS.

Awesome write up! I have the same exact build as you except I have the Vega 56 card. However I am experiencing a issue with my case fans spinning really fast. Anyway to fix that issue?

I got the fan issue resolved! I was wondering if you would be kind enough to upload the SSDT for the Maximus Hero X? I can't quite wrap my head around it.

Thanks!

I got the fan issue resolved! I was wondering if you would be kind enough to upload the SSDT for the Maximus Hero X? I can't quite wrap my head around it.

Thanks!
An SSDT for what use? What version of macOS?

I'm not currently using an SSDT for USB, if that's what you want. I'm using the USB config.plist patches that are in the latest MultiBeast for Mojave release.

Hi...sorry to ask...on MultiBeast latest release..How can we fix the USB? I been trying for long time and so far no luck...
Thanks

Hi...sorry to ask...on MultiBeast latest release..How can we fix the USB? I been trying for long time and so far no luck...
Thanks
Use the latest version of MultiBeast for Mojave and choose (among your other configuration choices): Drivers > USB > Remove XHCI USB Port Limit

That MultiBeast choice works with 10.14.4.

An SSDT for what use? What version of macOS?

I'm not currently using an SSDT for USB, if that's what you want. I'm using the USB config.plist patches that are in the latest MultiBeast for Mojave release.
I have Mojave as well 10.14.4. That clears things up then, I will apply the same patch. Thank you for your help! :)

Great I'll try...with this patch it fixes the load problems on the USB for charging ie. iPad? no need to add USBInjectAll.kext?

Last edited:
@Stork thanks one more time for this detailed guide, I'm running my fully working hackintosh since last Wednesday. I went through some issues, had some minor heart attacks, but I'm alive and so is the computer :D
As soon as things calm down here, I'll create a post detailing my build; some minor things were different, but I'm assuming it might be related to different versions being used. Now I'm having a hard time installing windows on a different drive, but I'll tackle that once I have time.

This is my final build:

• ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
  • i7 8700K
  • Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse 8GB
  • Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2400 (16-16-16) 32GB
  • Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (macOS drive)
  • Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD (time machine drive)
  • Kingston A400 240GB x 2 (one for parallels windows VM and another for windows - dual boot)
  • WD Black 1TB (downloads and backups - configs and things necessary to keep the hackintosh running/restore it)
  • TP Link T9E (works OOTB)
  • IOGEAR Bluetooth GBU521
  • Corsair RM750x
  • Corsair H55 (AIO water cooler)
  • Corsair Air 740 (case - this thing is humongous, but I'm liking it. Even though it's really hot weather right now, its cooling system is working nicely, air comes out fresh, not warm at all!)
I'm pretty happy with the result, and my MBP mid 2014 (i7 4770, 16GB) has been resting since Wednesday, a much deserved rest... if my hackintosh continues to perform properly I might only use it whenever I need to take my work outside or to restore/update something on macOS.

I ran some benchmarks (not overclocked, nor will they ever be) and here are the results:
Thanks again, even though I read almost all information on this forum before purchasing, your guide was my main reference.

Attachments

• DiskSpeedTest.png
    DiskSpeedTest.png
    230.3 KB · Views: 85
Hey @Stork and @pastrychef I have finally gone up to Mojave now Avid have released the updated Pro Tools, and thought everything went smoother than any update I have done ever! However, now the ASmedia USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports only seem to be working at USB 2 speed, and I can't get them to work at full speed no matter what I do.

Problem is I am not entirely sure when I lost the higher speed. I have 2 USB3.0 drives that would both show up as 5gb/s under system profiler (and still do on the intel controller) in the past so I definitely had the full speed previously, but now all I get is 480mbs.

I have tried chucking out the SSDT I made and applying the latest port limit patch which gets clearly everything working as the internal lights show up again in system profiler but still the as media ports are stuck at USB 2 speed. I have double checked everything in the BIOS and all that appears correct. I have recently updated the BIOS to 1901 but the release notes mention nothing about USB changes, although they do for 1801, which has me wondering if maybe something then broke the way macOS sees the ports and I didn't notice till now?

This is driving me insane as I had them working and have no idea why they are not now. Could it be anything in a clover update? I made sure that and all my kexts were totally up to date before updating to Mojave. All I see is that the ASM2142 is native supported in macOS so have no idea why I have lost all my speed. Hopefully one of you may have some ideas to try. I am only using the red 'A' type port and not the Type C, but then I have only used this port and know for sure my drives would connect at 5gbs.

Back