Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Further Update: Fresh Mojave install on a repurposed SSD reveals a fully booting system! I'm just running the stock Multibeast Clover UEFI settings with iMac 14,2. No Whatevergreen nor Lilu needed to boot and have Metal be supported. The only setting I tweaked, because it was set up on the Z170 drive that booted up fine in the Z68 system, was to inject Intel graphics. Need to get my accounts fully set up and installed on a primary drive and will then test out iTunes playback and such and whether Whatevergreen will be needed. Things are looking up for this cutting edge Z68 board :cool: :headbang::lol: and the RX 580! The UEFI u1n beta has been pretty slick so far, Stork. Faster boots and more rapid wakes from sleep than with the legacy BIOS. You might want to give it a go on your older legacy system(s). :) :thumbup:

Now, to sell the GTX 960 and 1070 and opt for a Mini-ITX sized RX 580 for the Z170 rig...? :think: So far, I'm enjoying the ease of use of the 580, which was what I loved about the old Radeon 5770 that was my go-to for so long. Hopefully it stays this way. :)

Final Update(?): I think I found the culprit for my boot woes all along. I migrated my accounts over to my regular boot drive from a clone and found that it was locking up again when trying to boot the OS, just past Clover. This time I actually got a frozen screen when booting verbose and could get a look at the issues. I figured I should start with reviewing L/E and S/L/E folders for the kexts I have there. Lo and behold, SLE had a rusted out antiquated FakeSMC kext in there. It had never been an issue before, and hence I hadn't been aware of its presence there with OS X iterations since 2011 updated one over the other, and it only started being an issue for some reason with the installation of the RX 580. Pulled that kext out and it booted right up. :crazy::banghead: The only issue that's a bit disappointing was that I had cleared my main boot drive as Disk Utility was showing some errors that it couldn't fix, and booting into the clone shows that the license keys for my apps are all moot, even with the cloning. Even so, it would have been necessary as my old 12,2 identifier wouldn't have allowed Mojave to install. So at least I've got a clean boot drive, a 14,2 identifier, Mojave, and the RX 580 running on a UEFI Z68 board. :thumbup:

Now to the task of getting all my apps set up with their license keys. o_O

I have a problem with RX 580. After 5 minutes, the system is lagging. and Heaven benchmark on 10 fps.
Sometimes, the system is freezing totally, and I have to restart the system. But, again the same loop.

I tried High Sierra. I tried Mojave ..
Is it a problem with the GPU?
On windows everything is OK.

Maybe the RAM isn't OK? Maybe the MOBO? The monitor??

Help me please :(

I have a problem with RX 580. After 5 minutes, the system is lagging. and Heaven benchmark on 10 fps.
Sometimes, the system is freezing totally, and I have to restart the system. But, again the same loop.

I tried High Sierra. I tried Mojave ..
Is it a problem with the GPU?
On windows everything is OK.

Maybe the RAM isn't OK? Maybe the MOBO? The monitor??

Help me please :(
Not idea what is causing your problem. Hopefully, @pastrychef can help.

@pastrychef
Please help me :(
I think its happening after I open Photos application ...

I have no idea... Is it crashing or just slowing to a crawl? Have you tried to look at console to see if it gives you any indication of what's wrong?

Sometimes its crashing, sometimes slowing down like a crawl...
How can I check on console?

When it crashes, be sure to copy the crash logs.

You can use Spotlight to look for "console" and launch it. Do this when the system is running slow. See what's out of the ordinary.

Not bad, once you break the code. I did the following:
- Add the FBName = Orinoco and Inject > ATI=true & Intel=True to config.plist which you can do with Clover Configurator​
Code:
    <key>Graphics</key>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    <dict>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]        <key>FBName</key>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]        <string>Orinoco</string>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]        <key>Inject</key>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]        <dict>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]            <key>ATI</key>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]            <true/>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]            <key>Intel</key>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]            <true/>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]            <key>NVidia</key>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]            <false/>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]        </dict>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    </dict>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]
:thumbup:
Hi @Stork I'm a little big confused about the instructions (excuse my ignorance). When you say: "Add the FBName" do you mean by opening the config.plist in text editor? I ask because you go on to say that it's possible to do this in Clover Configurator. I'm trying to locate this option but don't see it. My code looks like this:​
Code:
    <key>Graphics</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Inject</key>
        <dict>
            <key>ATI</key>
            <false/>
            <key>Intel</key>
            <false/>
            <key>NVidia</key>
            <false/>
        </dict>
    </dict>
But my screenshot shows Orinoco. Again, I may have understood what you're trying to say here.

Attachments

• Orinoco.png
    Orinoco.png
    77 KB · Views: 48
@luckyal, You may have "lucked out" as your FrameBuffer is correct for the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse, which means that the RX 580 has a part # that macOS uses. So, you don't need to fool with the FrameBuffer. :thumbup: But, unfortunately, I can't help you as my system just worked, and I have no knowledge about your problem(s).

Just wanted to say a big thank you to Stork for the guide. I shifted from Mac to PC earlier last year and bought the Maximus Hero board after seeing the guide here. The plan was to get the PC up and running then install OSX at a later date on another drive.

Well, last week I finally followed the guide and got it up and running pretty easily. The only issues I had were regarding booting without the USB, and Nvidia drivers not working.

The booting issue was fixed by disabling secure boot. You had this in your guide but I couldn’t figure out how to do it! Once I figured out I needed to delete the “boot keys” all was fine. The Nvidia issue was sorted by updating OSX then going opening the OS X drive EFI and turning off the Nvidia disable thingy in Clover.

Everything’s working happily now. Sleep, iMessage, audio etc. Thanks!

Back