Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

What frequency are you talking about? Plugin?

I'm using the Intel Power Gadget for the Mac.
im using intel power gadget and the freqency is above 800 - 4300. it supposed to be about 3700 - 4700.
in addition I wanna check the power of my rx 580, to see if its running on full power because I get low fps on heaven benchmark.

im using intel power gadget and the freqency is above 800 - 4300....
So, is mine. CoffeLake processors idle at around 800-1200 MHz.

it supposed to be about 3700 - 4700...
Says who?

in addition I wanna check the power of my rx 580, to see if its running on full power because I get low fps on heaven benchmark.
If your FrameBuffer is Orinoco, as I showed in Post #1's Post Installation procedures, then you're good to go.

ok
and why the freqency isnt going to 4700 turbo?
I don't know. It depends upon the task you are doing. Some apps don't force the processor into Turbo mode. Others like video processing applications will get the processor into the Turbo mode.

Understandable about Chameleon/Chimera. I've just never seen a GPU interfere with something coming off of the drive like this.

To be clear, I do have Clover up and running on my primary install drive. The Chameleon/Chimera install is on a separate drive with an older Mac OS, and I'm commenting on the RX 580 nuances as one would ideally want a GPU that plays nicely with a system in all respects. e.g., BIOS splash screen and use w/ different boot loaders

Hi again. I took a chance and upgraded to the U1n beta UEFI BIOS for my Z68 board. I'm happy to report that it resolves any problems with the 580 and BIOS splash screen. Have yet to test if it affects/resolves the issues I was seeing with the older bootloader. I now see the same splash screen as I do on my Z170 board! :-D Now to just get the system fully up and running and/or decide if I'll be sticking with UEFI or the formerly solid legacy f12 BIOS. I decided to give the beta UEFI a shot after researching how to upgrade from legacy to UEFI for my board. It turns out that there were prior beta iterations of the BIOS, like u1h and u1L, coming up in my searches. Basically, while labeled as a beta, the u1n iteration had matured a bit, something I hadn't been aware of prior to this. Here's to hoping it means a stable system experience.

Regarding getting everything working, I cloned my legacy drive and did a UEFI installation of Clover using MultiBeast. While I had selected the clone to boot from, Clover booted my legacy drive and it loaded up surprisingly without issue. Double checked my config.plist on the clone and noticed that it hadn't been updated as I thought it had been. Tried updating it and now the legacy and UEFI drives won't load past clover, just a black screen. Need to tinker with a default UEFI Clover config.plist to see if I can get my UUIDs and all that ported over. In any case, it's promising to see that my old legacy drive loaded up while using the clone with the UEFI clover install. Also, good to see that the upgrade for legacy BIOS to UEFI resolved the BIOS splash screen distortion with the RX 580!

Hi again. I took a chance and upgraded to the U1n beta UEFI BIOS for my Z68 board. I'm happy to report that it resolves any problems with the 580 and BIOS splash screen. Have yet to test if it affects/resolves the issues I was seeing with the older bootloader. I now see the same splash screen as I do on my Z170 board! :-D Now to just get the system fully up and running and/or decide if I'll be sticking with UEFI or the formerly solid legacy f12 BIOS. I decided to give the beta UEFI a shot after researching how to upgrade from legacy to UEFI for my board. It turns out that there were prior beta iterations of the BIOS, like u1h and u1L, coming up in my searches. Basically, while labeled as a beta, the u1n iteration had matured a bit, something I hadn't been aware of prior to this. Here's to hoping it means a stable system experience.

Regarding getting everything working, I cloned my legacy drive and did a UEFI installation of Clover using MultiBeast. While I had selected the clone to boot from, Clover booted my legacy drive and it loaded up surprisingly without issue. Double checked my config.plist on the clone and noticed that it hadn't been updated as I thought it had been. Tried updating it and now the legacy and UEFI drives won't load past clover, just a black screen. Need to tinker with a default UEFI Clover config.plist to see if I can get my UUIDs and all that ported over. In any case, it's promising to see that my old legacy drive loaded up while using the clone with the UEFI clover install. Also, good to see that the upgrade for legacy BIOS to UEFI resolved the BIOS splash screen distortion with the RX 580!

Since I have the same motherboard as yours, I'll try to provide you with a few suggestions:

1. If it's your first time trying Clover, I suggest you double check the target drive Clover is being installed on. Normally the default drive is the drive it is being launched from and you have to select manually another drive

2. From BIOS, pressing F12 to display the boot menu, select your cloned drive to boot from. If it still boots from your legacy drive, the Clover installation on the cloned drive is not correct and I would try to reinstall it by selecting the option for UEFI install

3. The default config.plist I recall it's Mac Pro 3,1. As I mentioned in a previous post, the Mac Pro definition recognizes the RX 580 out of the box. You don't have to add any Lilu or WhatEverGreen kext to the "10.14" or "Other" folder in Clover

4. If you are using an iMac definition, then you have to add Lilu and WhatEverGreen kexts in one of the above mentioned folders (10.14 assuming you are using Mojave)

Good luck!

Hi there!
I'm member of this forum since 7 years, but i'm still afraid to build my hackintosh. Do you think I can jump in with your golden build or it's easier to follow the buyer guide and the installation guide instead?
Sorry for the noob question ;)

Hi there!
I'm member of this forum since 7 years, but i'm still afraid to build my hackintosh. Do you think I can jump in with your golden build or it's easier to follow the buyer guide and the installation guide instead?
Sorry for the noob question ;)
Sure, you can use my guide. I'm going to update it for Majove installation here soon. However, I don't think you can find the ASUS HERO X motherboard as the current version is a Z390 HERO XI which is new and doesn't have a lot success yet.

Thank you for your answer. I found it second hand for 200€. I have more difficult to find the graphic card and Fenvi.

Last edited:
Since I have the same motherboard as yours, I'll try to provide you with a few suggestions:

1. If it's your first time trying Clover, I suggest you double check the target drive Clover is being installed on. Normally the default drive is the drive it is being launched from and you have to select manually another drive

2. From BIOS, pressing F12 to display the boot menu, select your cloned drive to boot from. If it still boots from your legacy drive, the Clover installation on the cloned drive is not correct and I would try to reinstall it by selecting the option for UEFI install

3. The default config.plist I recall it's Mac Pro 3,1. As I mentioned in a previous post, the Mac Pro definition recognizes the RX 580 out of the box. You don't have to add any Lilu or WhatEverGreen kext to the "10.14" or "Other" folder in Clover

4. If you are using an iMac definition, then you have to add Lilu and WhatEverGreen kexts in one of the above mentioned folders (10.14 assuming you are using Mojave)

Good luck!

Yes, all is good with Clover so far as I can tell. I typically use F12 to select my boot drive. I was simply surprised that in choosing the clone, that Clover still booted from the legacy drive.

In any case, I'm still having the issues, with the RX 580. I'm seeing the same reboot loop. I get about 3/4 of the way through the boot, and it just reboots quickly. Unlike past issues while booting verbose, there is no freeze frame, so to speak. Usually the process comes to halt and you see the potential errors on screen. This reboot happens midstream with all of the white text flying up across the screen straight into a reboot. Tried pulling my native Airport card, which I've read has been an issue for some, but saw the same issues. @Stork, if you're watching, any ideas on how to get a readout of a boot log that doesn't fully load like this?

Back