Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Hi everyone,
Hopefully some of you can help me with my problem. I'm a newbie here, so please bare with me.
This is my setup:
CPU: i9 9900K
Motherboard:ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H60 CPU
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 32GB
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC Gaming
HDD: Samsung 860 EVO 2,5" SSD - 1 TB

I followed the installation instruction in this initial post, and I managed to install Mac OS High Sierra. (FYI the GPU was not physically installed in the computer during the High Sierra-installation.) I came to the point where I should install the nVidia Web Drivers. I downloaded and installed the drivers (387.10.10.10.40.105) and physically installed the GPU. When I rebooted, the computer went straight into Clover Boot. And there I'm stuck. It loads Clover, but I'm not able to boot into High Sierra from there. I haven't got any screenshots, but I Googled, and found this one. This is one of the menu options.
upload_2016-12-28_19-38-6-png.227312

I can navigate through the menu, but I'm unable to find any option to boot into High Sierra. I tried to insert the USB stick with the High Sierra installation file, but the computer doesn't seem to load that anymore. I've tried to change the boot priority in Bios, but cannot find the USB, only the hard drive.

So I'm kind of stuck in a Clover Boot loop, where I'm unable to get passed Clover.

Hopefully some of you can help me, and I'm sorry if I have missed something obvious.

Hey @Stork just wanted to say Merry Christmas, and thanks to you and @pastrychef for all the input on this thread this year. I am super grateful for getting my new build running so smoothly and couldn't have achieved that without the simple to follow guides and advice from everyone here.

Looking into the new year I think the time has come to make the switch from my GTX960 to an RX580, and had just one question about the Sapphire Pulse 8GB. I am keen to get that card for the most native support from Apple, but my main concern is how quiet it runs, and whether ideally it shuts the fans off completely with no load on the GPU? I have always used the Gigabyte WindForce cards for this exact reason so while working in Pro Tools when it just has to draw waveforms the fans remain off. Gigabyte do make a WindForce RX580 with this feature but I would rather get the Sapphire if it also shuts down the fans.

Hey @Stork just wanted to say Merry Christmas, and thanks to you and @pastrychef for all the input on this thread this year. I am super grateful for getting my new build running so smoothly and couldn't have achieved that without the simple to follow guides and advice from everyone here.
:thumbup:

Looking into the new year I think the time has come to make the switch from my GTX960 to an RX580, and had just one question about the Sapphire Pulse 8GB. I am keen to get that card for the most native support from Apple, but my main concern is how quiet it runs, and whether ideally it shuts the fans off completely with no load on the GPU? I have always used the Gigabyte WindForce cards for this exact reason so while working in Pro Tools when it just has to draw waveforms the fans remain off. Gigabyte do make a WindForce RX580 with this feature but I would rather get the Sapphire if it also shuts down the fans.
The Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB presents no fan/sound problem unlike the Vega series. I recommend the the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB graphics card since it is the one Apple used for Mojave development and runs natively in 10.13.6 and Mojave. Gigabyte is my favorite graphics card maker, but, to be on the safe side, I went with the Sapphire card this time. It's a good choice.

@Stork The ASUS Hero X has a new bios update, 1801. Have you used it? When I install my hack should I use 1801 or stick with 1704?
I have not...yet. Thanks for the heads up. Yes, update your BIOS.

Merry Christmas. @Stork Thanks for the great thread and all the helpful info over the years!

Can I ask a favor - when/if you update to BIOS 1801 for the Maximus X Hero, can you either post a BIOS screenshot or tell me if the "Primary Display" option is there for you under Graphics Configuration? i have an issue where that option would not show up under BIOS 1704 for me (possibly related to using 9900k?), so I had to revert back to BIOS 1602. I'd love to know if the option has returned in BIOS 1801.

Merry Christmas. @Stork Thanks for the great thread and all the helpful info over the years!

Can I ask a favor - when/if you update to BIOS 1801 for the Maximus X Hero, can you either post a BIOS screenshot or tell me if the "Primary Display" option is there for you under Graphics Configuration? i have an issue where that option would not show up under BIOS 1704 for me (possibly related to using 9900k?), so I had to revert back to BIOS 1602. I'd love to know if the option has returned in BIOS 1801.
I looked in my User Manual, BIOS section. I didn't see Graphics Configuration > Primary Display description page. Please give me either a User Manual page number or where to find it (i.e., Advanced Items > ...).

I looked in my User Manual, BIOS section. I didn't see Graphics Configuration > Primary Display description page. Please give me either a User Manual page number or where to find it (i.e., Advanced Items > ...).

It's in Advanced Mode, under Advanced -> System Agent (SA) Configuration -> Graphics Configuration

Thanks!

Since putting in my RX580 (latest Lilu and WhateverGreen - graphics are smooth like a real iMac), when I put computer to "Sleep", it actually shuts down. What setting do I change in my config.plist? Thanks!

Hello, @Stork and everyone reading. I have an issue with my wifi. It doesn't connect to any of my two routers. When I put the wifi password try to connect and then give me the “this wifi need a WPA2 password” message again.

This starting to happen when I change my graphics card from a Nvidia to my new Radeon 580. That was in High Sierra. As I want it to update to Mojave I wait before trying to fix it and I got my internet by sharing with my android phone. Them I did a fresh install to Mojave 10.14.2 with MultiBeast 11.0.1. My surprise was that the problem is still there. I even bought a new wifi card. The same Fenvi card that stork use.

I have to say that when I installed Mojave I follow all the steps in the guide except for what it says in post 448 because I think this was fixed in MultiBeast 11. I’m correct? Another thing I had to do differently was enabling the iGPU Multi-Monitor option on the Bios to be able to open images with Quick look and Preview.

Things I tried to do so far:

-Fresh install of the OS
-Delete the wifi files of /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/
-Factory reset and change passwords of both my routers
-Buy a new card (Fenvi FV-T919)
-Change the PCI port and the internal USB port

Apart from this, the system is working very good. If anyone has an idea of what could be the problem I appreciate the help. I give you some screenshots of my system.

View media item 191453View media item 191454View media item 191455View media item 191456

Hi again. I tried changing my system definiton to iMac14,2 but did't solution my problem. @Stork if you have any idea I appreciate your help. I'm really lost here.

Back