Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

I have been enjoying my build for a while now. I don't restart it much so I never decided to post it. Now that everything works as expected, I have to post one last issue I am facing. My reboots take an extremely long time. Somewhere between 6-8 minutes.

Once I select to boot High Sierra, the screen displays an Apple logo with progress bar. It goes half way and then the resolution switches to 4K (I have a 4K screen). This is where it takes a while before the login screen is shown. The screen is black, and I can see and use the mouse cursor.

I decided to try verbose mode in Clover. All the console output seems good. The console output shows for a few seconds as well and the screen switches to GUI in 4K with black screen and cursor.

Any idea what could be causing this? Or at least where I can see some logs to figure out what might be causing this? @Stork

@dirtydignity, No, I haven't a clue as to the cause of your problem. I have used MyHero II on a Dell P2716Q 4K monitor w/o any delays. Maybe @pastrychef can jump in here to help.

I have been enjoying my build for a while now. I don't restart it much so I never decided to post it. Now that everything works as expected, I have to post one last issue I am facing. My reboots take an extremely long time. Somewhere between 6-8 minutes.

Once I select to boot High Sierra, the screen displays an Apple logo with progress bar. It goes half way and then the resolution switches to 4K (I have a 4K screen). This is where it takes a while before the login screen is shown. The screen is black, and I can see and use the mouse cursor.

I decided to try verbose mode in Clover. All the console output seems good. The console output shows for a few seconds as well and the screen switches to GUI in 4K with black screen and cursor.

Any idea what could be causing this? Or at least where I can see some logs to figure out what might be causing this? @Stork

I experienced something similar before and fixed it by enabling the -disablegfxfirmware boot argument. Also, make sure that you DO NOT have "Debug" enabled.

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 8.34.38 AM.png

After having realized i couldn't export video from FCPX using the Sapphire Nitro, I ended up returning the card to replace it with a 8gb Pulse. Everything is working perfectly with imac18,3 definition: my suspects about the nitro not being totally compatible proven to be true, at least in this build/config.

I went the extra mile by trying to enable Intel iGPU to improve video encode/decode performances.
I report the extra steps i found necessary (besides using the exact same config suggested by @Stork )

Bios:
Advanced --> System Agent (SA) Configuration --> Graphics Configuration
Primary Display: PEG
iGPU Multi-Monitor: Enabled
DMVT Pre-Allocated: 128M

Clover:
DSDT Patches:
GFX0 --> IGPU | 47465830 --> 49475055
PEG0 --> GFX0 | 50454750 --> 47465830

edit: after some proper testing, i realized the DSDT patches are not necessary: everything works as expected even after sleep.
ig-platform-id: 0x59120003
this is the important part, if left empty makes the system automatically pick 0x59120000, causing crashes on iGPU utilization.

Using IPG (intel Power Gadget) i can see the green line relative to the iGPU, which shows activity while watching videos and encoding using Premiere and VideoProc (the old MacX VideoConverter). Previewing videos with iGPU enabled really looks and feels smoother.
On FinalCut, i can see iGPU activity while exporting regular projects, but it doesn't get used on BruceX test. Still, i get a respectable 15sec time for the ProRes422 5k Export.

Would love to have feedbacks from someone else who successfully enabled iGPU using this build, just to make sure i'm not missing something important.

Last edited:
After having realized i couldn't export video from FCPX using the Sapphire Nitro, I ended up returning the card to replace it with a 8gb Pulse. Everything is working perfectly with imac18,3 definition: my suspects about the nitro not being totally compatible proven to be true, at least in this build/config.

I went the extra mile by trying to enable Intel iGPU to improve video encode/decode performances.
I report the extra steps i found necessary (besides using the exact same config suggested by @Stork )

Bios:
Advanced --> System Agent (SA) Configuration --> Graphics Configuration
Primary Display: PEG
iGPU Multi-Monitor: Enabled
DMVT Pre-Allocated: 128M

Clover:
DSDT Patches:
GFX0 --> IGPU | 47465830 --> 49475055
PEG0 --> GFX0 | 50454750 --> 47465830

edit: after some proper testing, i realized the DSDT patches are not necessary: everything works as expected even after sleep.
ig-platform-id: 0x59120003
this is the important part, if left empty makes the system automatically pick 0x59120000, causing crashes on iGPU utilization.

Using IPG (intel Power Gadget) i can see the green line relative to the iGPU, which shows activity while watching videos and encoding using Premiere and VideoProc (the old MacX VideoConverter). Previewing videos with iGPU enabled really looks and feels smoother.
On FinalCut, i can see iGPU activity while exporting regular projects, but it doesn't get used on BruceX test. Still, i get a respectable 15sec time for the ProRes422 5k Export.

Would love to have feedbacks from someone else who successfully enabled iGPU using this build, just to make sure i'm not missing something important.

@beatnaph I had the same problem with VEGA card. I fixed it by changing my System definition to imac 19,1

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/high-sierra-rx-vega-final-cut-h-264-fix.233067/

Followed this guide for the Asus Maximus XI Hero with an 8700K and pc doesn't shutdown or restart, any way to fix it? Also how can I know if cpu power management is working? Thanks

Followed this guide for the Asus Maximus XI Hero with an 8700K and pc doesn't shutdown or restart, any way to fix it? Also how can I know if cpu power management is working? Thanks
I have no idea how to fix your problem since your Z390 HERO is so new. You might want to review these threads as users are reporting their experiences with the new Z390 motherboard based systems.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/z390-and-i7-8700k-any-successful-builds.263395/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/asus-rog-strix-z390-i-gaming-motherboard-specs.259848/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/intel-9th-gen-cpu-and-z390-chipset.262040/

I have no idea how to fix your problem since your Z390 HERO is so new. You might want to review these threads as users are reporting their experiences with the new Z390 motherboard based systems.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/z390-and-i7-8700k-any-successful-builds.263395/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/asus-rog-strix-z390-i-gaming-motherboard-specs.259848/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/intel-9th-gen-cpu-and-z390-chipset.262040/
Ahh okay, the fonts of display look a bit blurry , I'm using an RX 580 like you but it's a Strix, also like I asked how can I know if the cpu power management is working?

Back