Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Stork, I have a very stable 10.13.6 system and I'd like to move on to Mojave. I did a trial update on a volume I use for tests, and it was fine apart from no Nvidia, of course. I bought a used RX 560 very reasonably that had only been used for 6 weeks. Currently, with my GTX 1050, my kexts include InterlGraphicsFixup, Lilu and WhateverGreen.

I tried the RX 560 and kept getting black screens. If I made the same Radeon tweaks that you did, do you think the RX 560 would work? And for Mojave, would you recommend a fresh install using Unibeast and Multibeast, or updating from 10.13.6?

Try removing IntelGraphicsFixup and updating to the latest Lilu and WhateverGreen.

In config.plist > Graphics > uncheck all the boxes and leave ig-platform-id blank.

Use the Intel FB Patcher to add ig-platform-id to your config.plist.

Try removing IntelGraphicsFixup and updating to the latest Lilu and WhateverGreen.

In config.plist > Graphics > uncheck all the boxes and leave ig-platform-id blank.

Use the Intel FB Patcher to add ig-platform-id to your config.plist.
Fantastic! Thanks, Pastrychef. Seems perfect -- system info attached.

Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 1.14.15 pm.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 1.13.50 pm.png

That Rx 580 Guide, does it apply to an Rx 580 Asus Strix Top?

Still looks a little off... Make sure your config.plist looks like:
View attachment 356613
HI - I'm uncertain about proceeding because I'm out of my depth. I've certainly no idea how to use Intel FBPatcher. The Mojave install seems to be fine, fast response, no display glitches that I've seen. My systems report graphics information is:

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 11.53.26 am.png
The config Devices and Graphics sections are:
Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 12.02.53 pm.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-11 at 12.04.04 pm.png

The DPCI Manager shows:
Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 12.32.00 pm.png
If I ought to insert Stork's config code, would it replace all of the Graphics code that's there already? My inclination is to leave well enough alone. Would that cause a problem?

HI - I'm uncertain about proceeding because I'm out of my depth. I've certainly no idea how to use Intel FBPatcher. The Mojave install seems to be fine, fast response, no display glitches that I've seen. My systems report graphics information is:

View attachment 356890
The config Devices and Graphics sections are:
View attachment 356891View attachment 356892

The DPCI Manager shows:
View attachment 356895
If I ought to insert Stork's config code, would it replace all of the Graphics code that's there already? My inclination is to leave well enough alone. Would that cause a problem?

The System Information looks right now. Previously, the IGPU was showing up in System Information > Graphics/Displays and now it doesn't.

I think you are fine now.

The System Information looks right now. Previously, the IGPU was showing up in System Information > Graphics/Displays and now it doesn't.

I think you are fine now.
Many thanks for your help -- priceless. After more checking of the Test system, I copied the EFI to a backup of my working system, and it restarted using the RX 560. All looked fine, so I did an upgrade to Mojave. Strangely, after the first 15 minutes or so, the display went dark but disk activity continued. Finally, after quite a long time disk activity stopped, so after giving it a couple of minutes I did a forced restart and after a few minutes it restarted to my working login screen.

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 14.21.26.png
It's really fast and I love the dark look.

Not bad, once you brake the code. I did the following:
- Add the FBName = Orinoco and Inject > ATI=true & Intel=True to config.plist which you can do with Clover Configurator
....​

Frankly, I don't know how long this will work. So, I'm also exploring a config.plist KextToPatch that might work longer as we proceed into Mojave. However, I'm hoping Apple realizes that Sapphire has changed the RX 580 Pulse's part #s since this Spring and makes all RX 580 use the Orinoco framebuffer. :thumbup:

For what it's worth, in my "Stork's Hero" rig, I just replaced a (Code 43 in windows) GTX970 with a RX580 purchased a week or two ago (sold directly by Amazon, an authorized seller, after they replenished stock) and it not only works OBB but is listed as Radeon RX 580 8192 MB. So didn't have to do config.plist fix above. Just need to figure out how to get rid of a little color bleed on fonts.

For what it's worth, in my "Stork's Hero" rig, I just replaced a (Code 43 in windows) GTX970 with a RX580 purchased a week or two ago (sold directly by Amazon, an authorized seller, after they replenished stock) and it not only works OBB but is listed as Radeon RX 580 8192 MB. So didn't have to do config.plist fix above. Just need to figure out how to get rid of a little color bleed on fonts.
That's the reason you need to use the
Orinoco frame buffer. You can use DPCIManager to determine the frame buffer your card is using.

@WedgeTail I noticed that your graphics card is running at x8, maybe because you left the 1050 still plugged in? If not may I suggest that you take out the card then reseat it as ran into a similar issue with my Z77 build that caused my card to be running at x2 with no other cards in any of the PCIe slots...

Last edited:
Back