Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Hey @Stork,

Just wanted to thank you for this detailed step-by-step guide :) I want to build my first hackintosh and am about to order all the mentioned parts this week :p Just some questions:
- If I want to use a 1TB harddrive besides the SSD, would you still use that casing or better another one?
- Will the build in general work for the new Mojaje OS? Im still using El Capitan on my Macbook Pro and would update before the build to get all the benefits of the new OS on the new Hackintosh.
- I was thinking about adding a 1TB SSD Drive that would solve my harddrive question too ;) Would the "Samsung 960 EVO MZ-V6E1T0BW SSD 1 TB" work too with the build? Its nearly half the price of the Pro-Version and would be perfect for me if it fits :)
- A last (beginner) question: Do I need any cables or something else besides mentioned parts or are these included in them?

Thanks already :)

Last edited:
@Stork ...Can you please share your EFI folder + SSDT's to make my life (and probably others who'll copy this build) easier once it arrives? :mrgreen:
Nope. I believe you learn when you follow my installation procedures. Nothing to learn when you get someone's EFI file.

Hey @Stork,
Just wanted to thank you for this detailed step-by-step guide :) I want to build my first hackintosh and am about to order all the mentioned parts this week :p Just some questions:
- If I want to use a 1TB hard drive besides the SSD, would you still use that casie or better another one?...
My case has plenty of room for HDDs. Take a look at the pictures in the Amazon & Newegg reference links.
- Will the build in general work for the new Mojave OS? I'm still using El Capitan on my Macbook Pro and would update before the build to get all the benefits of the new OS on the new Hackintosh...
I have a test drive just testing tonymacx86 UniBeast and MultiBeast. I love Mojave's speed. However, it still has some bugs so, unless you don't have access to High Sierra, I recommending waiting to 10.14.3 is released. :thumbup: If you need a link to the Mac App Store for High Sierra, let me know.
- I was thinking about adding a 1TB SSD Drive that would solve my hard drive question, too. ;) Would the "Samsung 960 EVO MZ-V6E1T0BW SSD 1 TB" work too with the build? Its nearly half the price of the Pro-Version and would be perfect for me if it fits :)
If it's a NVMe M.2, yes it will work. I'm using the 500GB version in my real Mac Pro (5,1).
- A last (beginner) question: Do I need any cables or something else besides mentioned parts or are these included in them?...
Nope.

Nope. I believe you learn when you follow my installation procedures. Nothing to learn when you get someone's EFI file.

+1 simply doing a copy paste of an EFI folder doesn't always work well anyway. It's like being a student that hands in homework that they've copied from someone else all semester long. When the final exam time comes they can't answer any of the questions on the test because they never did the homework. Always best to understand what you are doing and why you are doing it when installing and configuring the macOS on PC hardware. If you don't want to do that, just buy a Mac from Apple.

I have a test drive just testing tonymacx86 UniBeast and MultiBeast. I love Mojave's speed. However, it still has some bugs so, unless you don't have access to High Sierra, I recommending waiting to 10.14.3 is released. :thumbup: If you need a link to the Mac App Store for High Sierra, let me know.
I dont need the speed of Mojave at this point, I would upgrade then to it, when bugs are gone ... I would highly appreciate a link to High Sierra, thanks already for that :)
If it's a NVMe M.2, yes it will work. I'm using the 500GB version in my real Mac Pro (5,1).
Yes it is. Im wondering how can this be 200 Euros cheaper then the Pro Version :D

Ive ordered now all the parts and will let you know how it worked out :)

Last edited:
Well, I am building this exact same system as the guide describes. My weird problem is that the bios (now, newer as the guide) 1704, the installer does not see/recognize any ssd's. Not the sata nor the samsung m2 ssd. I know that the issue is probably stupid simple, but i'm stuck. Installing UEFI based install usb. The bios sees all the disks but the installer sees only the usb install. No other options. Any help would be so thankful! I apologize if this has been posted before, I could not find it.

@navistar, When the installer gets to the first screen where you have the choices for install, Disk Utility, Recovery, etc., choose Disk Utility. In the Disk Utility window, upper left corner, there is a drop down menu View. Click on Show All Devices. You should now be able to format your SSD. Once you format your installation SSD, the installer will see it.

@navistar, When the installer gets to the first screen where you have the choices for install, Disk Utility, Recovery, etc., choose Disk Utility. In the Disk Utility window, upper left corner, there is a drop down menu View. Click on Show All Devices. You should now be able to format your SSD. Once you format your installation SSD, the installer will see it.

After pressing view all, it still sees only the USB stick. In the BIOS the disks are there but the installer and beyond, it does not see any of the disks. I must be doing something fundamentally wrong here. I have tried different SATA ports, etc., but nothing. Different cables for the regular SATA disks.. The BIOS settings are double checked as mentioned in the guide. All is like it should be. Yet no disks.

@navistar, Wow! I haven't seen/heard this problem before. Maybe @pastrychef can jump in with some advice.

After pressing view all, it still sees only the USB stick. In the BIOS the disks are there but the installer and beyond, it does not see any of the disks. I must be doing something fundamentally wrong here. I have tried different SATA ports, etc., but nothing. Different cables for the regular SATA disks.. The BIOS settings are double checked as mentioned in the guide. All is like it should be. Yet no disks.

@navistar, Wow! I haven't seen/heard this problem before. Maybe @pastrychef can jump in with some advice.

I don't know... Do you have "Show All Devices" checked?
Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 10.04.42 AM.png

Back