Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

@Tazling, GiGi will need Sierra 10.12.6 or newer (High Sierra 10.13.6) to run the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB card. However, Apple's macOS only recognizes the early part number of the Sapphire RX 580. So, you'll have to fool the macOS to think it's using one of those early Part #s.

Let me know when you get the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB card. I'll post what you'll need to do for the newer card. <fingers-crossed>Hopefully, Apple will recognize all RX 580 cards in Mojave.</fingers-crossed>
Yikes, another wrinkle? is the foolery easy and reliable? Wd hate to buy card and then find HS would not recognise it.

many thanks as always for your pioneering builds and subsequent support of imitators like me
Not bad, once you break the code. I did the following:
- Add the FBName = Orinoco and Inject > ATI=true & Intel=True to config.plist which you can do with Clover Configurator
Code:
    <key>Graphics</key>
    <dict>
        <key>FBName</key>
        <string>Orinoco</string>
        <key>Inject</key>
        <dict>
            <key>ATI</key>
            <true/>
            <key>Intel</key>
            <true/>
            <key>NVidia</key>
            <false/>
        </dict>
    </dict>
- Added Lili and Whatevergreen kexts to /Library/Extensions/ with KextBeast.​

That's it!

Frankly, I don't know how long this will work. So, I'm also exploring a config.plist KextToPatch that might work longer as we proceed into Mojave. However, I'm hoping Apple realizes that Sapphire has changed the RX 580 Pulse's part #s since this Spring and makes all RX 580 use the Orinoco framebuffer. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Hi Stork, well step 1 is complete, I have upgraded GiGi today to High Sierra -- 10.13.6. It was a little messy (I wasn't as careful as I should have been and also the latest Clover was slightly broken). So there were a couple of hours of frustration, temporary bricking of my Hacky, etc. Forum members as usual had all the answers, when I finally googled diligently enough to find them.

So I'm sitting at it right now, looks fine, Steam games that I've tried are still running OK on my NVIDIA GTX970 with web drivers... so I would call that success. Next step is buying hardware! the fun part! Might have to wait till first of the month though ($$$).

I'm not sure I really understand what you said (above)! but I should be able to replicate it w/o understanding it :)

Hi Stork, well step 1 is complete, I have upgraded GiGi today to High Sierra -- 10.13.6. It was a little messy (I wasn't as careful as I should have been and also the latest Clover was slightly broken). So there were a couple of hours of frustration, temporary bricking of my Hacky, etc. Forum members as usual had all the answers, when I finally googled diligently enough to find them.

So I'm sitting at it right now, looks fine, Steam games that I've tried are still running OK on my NVIDIA GTX970 with web drivers... so I would call that success. Next step is buying hardware! the fun part! Might have to wait till first of the month though ($$$).

I'm not sure I really understand what you said (above)! but I should be able to replicate it w/o understanding it :)
If you get a new Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB card, you'll to fool HS 10.13.6 and Mojave (as we know right now) as Apple has programmed it's Sapphire RX 580 Pulse card driver to only look for the first two part numbers produced in the RX 580's VBIOS when the cards were released. Later versions, like you would buy new right now and most used cards, have different part numbers. So, Apple's driver uses a AMD default driver. Thus, I had to fool it as shown in Post #342.

Stork, I am ready to build your My Hero 2 configuration, but are there any things to watch out for in order to use the Intel Integrated Graphics and then add a graphics card later? TIA.

Stork, I am ready to build your My Hero 2 configuration, but are there any things to watch out for in order to use the Intel Integrated Graphics and then add a graphics card later? TIA.
First, read the forum's rules and policies as you grossly violated the signature block rule and ignored the Profile components content rule.

I not familiar with using the motherboard's on-board graphics. I recommend you look at the sticky threads in the Graphics forum section. Also, @pastrychef's Golden Build description as he created EFI folders for numerous graphics ASUS Z370 motherboard configurations.

Thanks for fixing the profile and deleting the signature for me. That was original profile and signature block from 2011 when I built first hack from your original article on Zorro. I sincerely appreciate the time and effort you have spent developing and precisely documenting your builds.

Let me know when you get the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB card. I'll post what you'll need to do for the newer card. <fingers-crossed>Hopefully, Apple will recognize all RX 580 cards in Mojave.</fingers-crossed>

Preparing for my new build later this week - super excited to upgrade and I have a newer Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB card. Have you posted any info on how to ensure success with the newer revs?

A huge THANKS for all the guidance.

Preparing for my new build later this week - super excited to upgrade and I have a newer Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB card. Have you posted any info on how to ensure success with the newer revs?

A huge THANKS for all the guidance.
Yep. Scroll up to Post #342. I'll also update Post #1, too.

Back