Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

I have bought this motherboard, because my old GigaByte after more than 6 years stopped. I was running Yosemite on one of the SSD without any problem. Updating was a problem.
So I tried this motherboard. Updated the BIOS without a problem
I downloaded High Sierra Installer (13.6.02) and Unibeast and created a Installation Disk on a MacBook Pro
Followed Stork's setting BIOS setting.

Starting from the USB is not a problem. But when selecting boot from "Boot Max OS X from Install MacOS High Sierra, the computer stops at the Apple logo, after that nothing happens.
Recreated the disk with Unibeast, even with an older installer I had previously downloaded (13.4.09). Did not work.
Deleted the IA.. file, no difference.
A lot of errors on the verbose logging, anybody can tell me what the problem is?
I haven't a clue...MyHero II installed and setup w/o any problems. Let's see if @pastrychef can add some suggestions.

I have bought this motherboard, because my old GigaByte after more than 6 years stopped. I was running Yosemite on one of the SSD without any problem. Updating was a problem.
So I tried this motherboard. Updated the BIOS without a problem
I downloaded High Sierra Installer (13.6.02) and Unibeast and created a Installation Disk on a MacBook Pro
Followed Stork's setting BIOS setting.

Starting from the USB is not a problem. But when selecting boot from "Boot Max OS X from Install MacOS High Sierra, the computer stops at the Apple logo, after that nothing happens.
Recreated the disk with Unibeast, even with an older installer I had previously downloaded (13.4.09). Did not work.
Deleted the IA.. file, no difference.
A lot of errors on the verbose logging, anybody can tell me what the problem is?

I don't know the cause of those errors either... But I used a slightly different installation method. You are welcome to try the method I used. It should work fine for your motherboard except the SSDT for USB. Link to my Z370-G build is below, in my signature.

[B said:

Hi Stork, I would appreciate if you may upload a Cinebench screenshot showing the FPS that your VideoCard scores. I purchased the same video card as per your suggestion it scores 115fps, I had a 4GB GTX960, and It scored 104, so I don't feel as a great upgrade for now.

My build is a Z87X wit i4 4770k, maybe this processor and DDR3 memory is a bottleneck for this video card?

That you and great build, I'm planning to get all the same components and make my own MyHero II build.

@indiramedina,
It is indeed a great build. I use it contently when I'm not playing with my two Mac Pros (2008 & 2010, both upgraded with faster processors, more memory, SSDs, graphics cards, etc.) and my Gene system.

I'll post a latest Cinebench later today.

Update: I only have Geekbench 3 (I haven't run Geekbench in a long time). Here are my results.
Code:
Benchmark Summary
  Integer Score              4520  30668
  Floating Point Score       5154  35150
  Memory Score               4638   4962

Geekbench Score            4797  27319

System Information
  Operating System      Mac OS X 10.14 (Build 18A384a)
  Model                 iMac18,3
  Model ID              iMac18,3
  Motherboard           Apple Inc. Mac-BE088AF8C5EB4FA2 iMac18,3
  Processor             Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz @ 3.70 GHz
                        1 Processor, 6 Cores, 12 Threads
  Processor ID          GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10
  L1 Instruction Cache  32.0 KB x 6
  L1 Data Cache         32.0 KB x 6
  L2 Cache              256 KB x 6
  L3 Cache              12.0 MB
  Memory                32.0 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
  BIOS                  Apple Inc. IM183.88Z.0158.B00.1804091704
  Compiler              Clang 5.0 (clang-500.2.76)

Integer Performance
  AES
    single-core          1715 |
    multi-core          14342 ||||||||||
  Twofish
    single-core          4527 |||
    multi-core          39418 ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
  SHA1
    single-core          4949 |||
    multi-core          30662 |||||||||||||||||||||||
  SHA2
    single-core          5533 ||||
    multi-core          31245 |||||||||||||||||||||||
  BZip2 Compress
    single-core          3783 ||
    multi-core          28536 |||||||||||||||||||||
  BZip2 Decompress
    single-core          4269 |||
    multi-core          32480 ||||||||||||||||||||||||
  JPEG Compress
    single-core          4488 |||
    multi-core          32709 ||||||||||||||||||||||||
  JPEG Decompress
    single-core          7084 |||||
    multi-core          44448 |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
  PNG Compress
    single-core          3936 |||
    multi-core          32196 ||||||||||||||||||||||||
  PNG Decompress
    single-core          4821 |||
    multi-core          35460 |||||||||||||||||||||||||||
  Sobel
    single-core          6277 ||||
    multi-core          39877 ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
  Lua
    single-core          5790 ||||
    multi-core          34317 ||||||||||||||||||||||||||
  Dijkstra
    single-core          4372 |||
    multi-core          18620 ||||||||||||||

Floating Point Performance
  BlackScholes
    single-core          6090 ||||
    multi-core          43898 |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
  Mandelbrot
    single-core          3719 ||
    multi-core          35287 ||||||||||||||||||||||||||
  Sharpen Filter
    single-core          4111 |||
    multi-core          30102 ||||||||||||||||||||||
  Blur Filter
    single-core          3371 ||
    multi-core          27696 |||||||||||||||||||||
  SGEMM
    single-core          5910 ||||
    multi-core          32811 |||||||||||||||||||||||||
  DGEMM
    single-core          5248 ||||
    multi-core          35179 ||||||||||||||||||||||||||
  SFFT
    single-core          4504 |||
    multi-core          28425 |||||||||||||||||||||
  DFFT
    single-core          5062 |||
    multi-core          30087 ||||||||||||||||||||||
  N-Body
    single-core          8264 ||||||
    multi-core          52439 ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
  Ray Trace
    single-core          7224 |||||
    multi-core          43069 ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Memory Performance
  Stream Copy
    single-core          4686 |||
    multi-core           5540 ||||
  Stream Scale
    single-core          4633 |||
    multi-core           4737 |||
  Stream Add
    single-core          4594 |||
    multi-core           4647 |||
  Stream Triad
    single-core          4643 |||
    multi-core           4972 |||

Last edited:
Thank you for this great post. I’m buying soon, and this is short listed as it looks like a really easy build.

I notice that you said you’ve got sleep wake sorted (important for me) but power management is still not working. Does this mean the system is perpetually running at full throttle?

Thanks for your write up. To be clear, I’m a clueless muppet and haven’t had a successful build since El Capitan but looking to get a new workhorse up and running asap!

Stork's MyHero II Build:
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580

Cheers for that.

One thing that is confusing me is why you didn't specify installing Audio driver Realtek ALC1220 in Multibeast?
On my instal (upgrading form a GA-Z170X-UD5 TH) the only way I could get the Audio outputs to stick was by adding that.
(Otherwise only AirBeamTV showed up in the sys prefs).
?

I notice that you said you’ve got sleep wake sorted (important for me) but power management is still not working. Does this mean the system is perpetually running at full throttle?...
Thanks for bring that up. Power Management is working fine. I'll update the 1st post. :thumbup:

Awesome writeup as always Stork! I am starting to get the itch for more crunchy graphical goodness and have been considering building my 2nd Hackintosh since GiGi has been such a winner. Your writeup is making me drool a bit :) am thinking about upgrading GiGi and giving it to my SO, and doing a whole new build for myself.

So... if I were to upgrade GiGi to the appropriate High Sierra, could I pull out my GTX970 and pop in one of these Sapphires (reasonably priced, at present) -- would it play nice with my existing MAXIMUS VIII GENE Asus mobo and I7-6700K CPU, or do I need a more modern mobo to host the Sapphire card? Sorry, I realise this is a bit of an eejit question, but I haven't hacked any toshes since building GiGi and am always afraid of buying the wrong hardware...

Quite exciting to hear that the Sapphire series is actually supported in OSX w/o driver-chasing and patching and so forth. Reviews I've read so far indicate that they hold their own against the NVIDIA lineup. Any word on whether Apple has finally admitted the existence of UW displays?

@Tazling, GiGi will need Sierra 10.12.6 or newer (High Sierra 10.13.6) to run the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB card. However, Apple's macOS only recognizes the early part number of the Sapphire RX 580. So, you'll have to fool the macOS to think it's using one of those early Part #s.

Let me know when you get the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB card. I'll post what you'll need to do for the newer card. <fingers-crossed>Hopefully, Apple will recognize all RX 580 cards in Mojave.</fingers-crossed>

@Tazling, GiGi will need Sierra 10.12.6 or newer (High Sierra 10.13.6) to run the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB card. However, Apple's macOS only recognizes the early part number of the Sapphire RX 580. So, you'll have to fool the macOS to think it's using one of those early Part #s.

Let me know when you get the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB card. I'll post what you'll need to do for the newer card. <fingers-crossed>Hopefully, Apple will recognize all RX 580 cards in Mojave.</fingers-crossed>

Yikes, another wrinkle? is the foolery easy and reliable? Wd hate to buy card and then find HS would not recognise it.

many thanks as always for your pioneering builds and subsequent support of imitators like me

Back