Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

AVX offset decreases clock frequency in increments of -100MHz to maintain stability and keep Core temperatures from increasing too high.

It's only supposed to clock down when running AVX instructions. In macOS having AVX offset clocks it down 100% of the time.

Screen Shot 2018-07-22 at 19.38.01.png

Updated to 10.13.6 from 10.13.5 using the following procedures for an AMD graphics card system (for a Nivida graphics card system, see Post #2 here):

:ch: Backup your current installation using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper;
:ch: Update to the latest Clover (currently v4586): Downloads > Clover Builds.
Note: the tonymacx86 version of v4586 No longer requires you to update apfs.efi in the /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ folder. So remove it from the .../drivers64UEFI/ folder now.​
:ch: Update your config.plist USB Port Limit patch to:
Code:
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>USB 10.13.6+ by PMHeart, FredWst</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                g32IDw+DpwQAAA==
                </data>
                <key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
                <false/>
                <key>MatchOS</key>
                <string>10.13.x</string>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                g32ID5CQkJCQkA==
                </data>
            </dict>
Note: A simpler way is just to change the Find data item:
:ch: If you use a text edit, do the following:
Find > g32IDw+DpwQAAA== to g32ID5CQkJCQkA==
:ch: If you use a plist editor or Clover Configurator, do the following:
Find > 837D880F 0F83A704 0000 to 837D880F 90909090 9090
:ch:Don't forget to save your changes.
:ch:Important Note: This USB port limit update requires the use of RehabMan's USBInjectAll.kext in /L/E/ folder. Use KextBeast to install it by just put USBInjectAll.kext on the Desktop, making sure there are no other kexts on the desktop.​
:ch: Update from Apple's Mac App Store - the updater will reboot 3 times:
- First two times, choose "Boot macOS Install..." at the Clover Boot screen, and
- Third time, choose "boot from Install drive...".​
:ch: Upon rebooting into High Sierra after the last reboot, you can:
:ch: Check to see if your audio is working. If not, do the following two steps which I had to do:
:ch:Run the MultiBeast and select:
:ch:100 / 200 / 300 Series Audio Support
:ch:200 / Z370 Series / X299 Audio Device ID Patch​
:ch:Build -> Install
:ch:Reboot
:ch:Run MultiBeast again and select:
:ch:ALC1220​
:ch:Build -> Install
:ch:Reboot again​

Last edited:
Hi Stork,

I have put together almost the exact same build as with but with the GTX 1070 card. Your guide has been a huge help but I seem to be running into two issues that I hope you might have some advice on, since you have the same build (and I have not been able to find a solution elsewhere)

I followed the guide to the letter three times but on all three occasions the same thing happens - the install goes smoothly, OSX goes in without too many issues and I mod the plist etc. as advised. When I reboot though two things happen:

1. regardless of how many times I set it, the system will not boot to the nominated drive, instead going right back to the BIOS. I then have to enter the BIOS, go to EXIT > Discard Changes and Exit. After this, it will reboot to Clover (this has been an issue from the get go, even with booting to the USB).

2. Clover kicks in, and boots to the nominated drive. All that happens though is the progress bar (Apple logo and black boot screen) gets to between 70 and 90% and then the system reboots and it’s back to the start.

I’ve tried this three times, the last time I did not include the nvida drivers as you outlined, as I thought they may have had something to do with it but seems not (I gather I can install them after the fact anyway). Right nowI can’t get into OSX at all!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - I am so close!

@playforest, I went back and reviewed my Post #1's installation procedure. Two things stick out that might cause this problem.

First, your config.plist might have a typo or misalignment of the patches. So, boot into your installation with your USB Installer thumb drive. Open up your config.plist and compare the USB port limit patch letter for letter and make sure it's properly aligned. If it's OK, download the trial version of PlistEditPro and see if it will read the config.plist without errors.

Second, what version of Clover are you using? Is it the one that MultiBeast installed? If so, then the apfi.efi patch in the OP procedures is OK.
:ch: (Optional) One more patch while we have the EFI partition mount. To get rid of verbose output from the apfs.efi before the Clover Boot Screen, we need patch the apfs.efi for non-verbose boot only in the EFI partition. So use the following Terminal command:
Code (Text):
sudo perl -i -pe 's|\x00\x74\x07\xb8\xff\xff|\x00\x90\x90\xb8\xff\xff|sg' /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/apfs.efi
Note: Don't copy and past without checking to see if it's the correct path.
Code (Text):
ls /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/
If so, then perform the above patch.
However, if you're using an updated Clover remove the apfs.efi from the .../CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ folder.

Those are the only two things I can think of that might be causing your problem. Good Luck!

@Stork Thanks so much for the reply.

I went and did the lot from scratch again, you know, just to be sure. And everything's good, I am in High Sierra.

Ran Multibeast, all good.

Note on the plist file: out of the box, it was already set as per your instructions, so I left it alone this time (checked it in PlistEditPro - thanks for the tip!).

Where I have come stuck... apfs.efi

The version I have is what came with the latest version of MULTIBEAST (at startup it say Clover is at 4458).

I have checked the path to make sure EFI is showing ('mount' in terminal) and it's as you outline above - /Volumes/EFI/, so looking at the EFI mount, /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ is the correct pathing.

But when I run the command, it says 'No such file or directory' despite the fact that it is clearly there.... So if I try to run the patch, nothing happens. When I run the ls /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/, it also says it's not there!

Maybe this is the cause of the angst?

UPDATE: I ended up restarting without the above patch and everything worked ok- system booted into OSX. I then installed the Nvida drivers as per the guide and after restart it went back to not booting as per my first post :(

UPDATE II: I reinstalled from fresh again o_O (wiped disc etc.). Did everything up to the apfs.efi but this time reinstalled Clover from RehabMan's installer and rebooted. Success and I got it to boot into OSX via the USB (was not able to do this previously). I then ran EFI Mounter and terminal picked up the EFI path. Ran the patch and checked the last update time stamp on the apfs.efi, all good, it updated. Rebooted and again via USB, and yep, booted into OSX.

Now restart with the USB out. Into BIOS, reset the boot drive and go. Progress bar to 90% and then Nop!

USB back in and boot from it. Yep.

Looks like I have the won't boot without USB issue. Looking into it now. Otherwise, it all seems to be running fine :eek:

UPDATE III: I got it to run! Using this simple fix got the system to boot into OSX without the USB. I also had an additional EFI mount on the second disk (which I originally did the install on), so I deleted the EFI folders on it.

What's not quite right?

a: I can not get the BIOS to boot to the SSD directly, which means I have to go through the whole enter/exit BIOS thing every time. Once in Clover, I have to manually select the boot disk, rather than it doing so on countdown, though this last bit is not a big ish to me at all.

b: And this may be something or not... I did the sound patch (last step) and restarted but when I plug my headphones into the green port, the system does not see them at all, hence no sound. Do I need to use a powered system to have it picked up or should it see the headphones?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks @Stork, and the rest of the contributors in here. I've got 10.13.5 running, but have a couple snags:
1. I don't have any output devices listed under sound. I tried the 2-step method several times without success, although the driver labels in MultiBeast are slightly different than what Stork listed, specifically I've got:
Drivers > Realtek ALCccc > Audio > 100 / 200 / 300 Series Audio Support
Drivers > Realtek ALCccc > Audio > 200 / Z370 Series / X299 Audio Device ID Patch
• Those are the ones I should be selecting, right?
• And if I want to give the 2-step method another try, do I need to keep doing fresh installs?
• As suggested earlier in this thread, I thought I'd try throwing lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext into the EFI\EFI\Clover\Kexts\Other. Is that all you need to do to install those? Sorry, I'm a beginner.

2. My USB 3.0 ports are supplying power, but are not working. I've got the latest PMHeart snippet in my config file, although did notice a string in there saying "10.13.6+." Will that work with 10.13.5?

I'm gonna attach my config file just in case a kind soul can take a look.

Attachments

• config slothosaurus.plist.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 112
Thanks @Stork, and the rest of the contributors in here. I've got 10.13.5 running, but have a couple snags:
1. I don't have any output devices listed under sound. I tried the 2-step method several times without success, although the driver labels in MultiBeast are slightly different than what Stork listed, specifically I've got:
Drivers > Realtek ALCccc > Audio > 100 / 200 / 300 Series Audio Support
Drivers > Realtek ALCccc > Audio > 200 / Z370 Series / X299 Audio Device ID Patch
• Those are the ones I should be selecting, right?
• And if I want to give the 2-step method another try, do I need to keep doing fresh installs?
• As suggested earlier in this thread, I thought I'd try throwing lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext into the EFI\EFI\Clover\Kexts\Other. Is that all you need to do to install those? Sorry, I'm a beginner.

2. My USB 3.0 ports are supplying power, but are not working. I've got the latest PMHeart snippet in my config file, although did notice a string in there saying "10.13.6+." Will that work with 10.13.5?

I'm gonna attach my config file just in case a kind soul can take a look.

If you want to use AppleALC, yes, just put the AppleALC.kext and Lilu.kext in to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.

The 15 port limit patches for 10.13.5 and 10.13.6 are different. Do a search, the patch should be easy to find.

Back