Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

@Stork: I've seen a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB for $385. Do you consider that's a good price point for that card?

that's an excellent price for current conditions. I just received one yesterday that I paid $439 for - which is still a lot lower than most places ($550+ !!)

does work very well OOTB with just lilu & whatevergreen, dual 4k60 monitors connected via DP. buttery smooth UI ... unlike my GTX 1070 TI :(

Another cool Build from Stork :headbang:

Are you able to provide internal pics of your build?

Another cool Build from Stork :headbang:

Are you able to provide internal pics of your build?
Thanks. I'll post some pictures of the case inside within a couple of days. Any particular "shot" you'd like to see?

this look awesome, thanks so much for the guide, i have a couple of questions, does thunderbolt works over the usb3 ports? or would i need a thunderbolt card for it? i got an Avid omni interface which is thunderbolt. also are there any other AMD cards that work OTB?

this look awesome, thanks so much for the guide, i have a couple of questions, does thunderbolt works over the usb3 ports? or would i need a thunderbolt card for it? i got an Avid omni interface which is thunderbolt. also are there any other AMD cards that work OTB?
Unlike the HERO VIII the HERO X has no Thunderbolt header nor is Thunderbolt built in.

Unlike the HERO VIII the HERO X has no Thunderbolt header nor is Thunderbolt built in.
what a shame, so what do you think is the best way to get thunderbolt working these days and having the latest chips/mobos?

what a shame, so what do you think is the best way to get thunderbolt working these days and having the latest chips/mobos?
You'll have to check the Gigabyte and ASUS sites for Thunderbolt motherboards. Also look at the Golden and User Builds and High Sierra Desktop Guides forum sections for systems with Thunderbolt systems.

See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-a-8th-generation-i7-8700k-processor.239021/

or a Google Search: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...msi-gigabyte&usg=AOvVaw06UTgEOc3j1eHs7ykbmiE8

Hi Stork,
I recently built a new system based off of a Asus Hero X, 8700K, 16 Gig DDR4 Corsair Dominator, and a EVG GTX1070. Tried my hand at loading by following the guide, but seems to be hanging currently during the start up (what must be 99.9%). Also the audio did not seem to take when I had it started previous. Wondering if I should start over. I am installing on a 120 gig SSD as a trial. I have a 512 WD Black NVMe drive installed but it is currently loaded with Windows.

one of the things I have noticed is that I can get it to load if I boot off the usb install drive first, next is that the build number I have installed is 10.13.1. Not sure how to update this since the update says I am good. Trying the install off the app store next.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why your installation is not loading. I recommend you post your first paragraph in the High Sierra Desktop Support forum section.

For audio, see the "Please Note" in the latest MultiBeast Announcement.

*Please Note: Apple has changed the behavior for kextcache as of Sierra. You need to install Audio after you are booted from the destination disk to get audio to work properly. See here for details.

High Sierra 10.13.3 broke the sleep/wake-up capability. If the computer sleeps, a reboot is required. The good news is 10.13.4 Beta users have reported wake-up has been fixed along with native support of AMD RX and Vega graphics cards. So, the .4 update is now what .3 update use to be on previous macOS builds.

Reference:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/high-sierra-10-13-2-broke-sleep.2093595/

Back