Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

I can run USB3.1 and lightning interface on my HERO, but as long as I connect it, I can't restart the computer. When the computer is turned off, the power will start. Is there a way to solve it?

I disagree with this @pastrychef. The System Information most definitely does not "most of the time" show incorrect for USB 3.1 gen 2. In fact - so far it has been 100% accurate as far as a valid gen 2 connection. I am not denying your experiences, but every single time it showed 5gbs I got 500:500 MB/s in BlackMagic. Now that I figured out the problem, as SOON as I got it working it showed correctly, "Speed: Up to 10Gb/sec" and BlackMagic reported speeds of 990.5MB/s : 935MB/s :clap:

note: I am using an Intel QLC 2TB NVMe, 660p. So it's not super fast (relative to NVMe), but an amazing value.

Problem:

My hackintosh was not recognizing my external (Sabrent) NVMe USB Gen 2 enclosure as USB 3.1 Gen 2 device (10gb/s).

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Plug in enclosure with provided USB cable.
  2. Open "System Information" and check that device's "Speed" field. Instead of 10, it's value was "5 Gb/sec"
  3. Open "Disk Speed Test" by BlackMagic Design, choose external drive as Target Drive and run test with 5GB stress.
Solution:
Tried many different wires until I found one that worked. I used a different USB-C --> USB-A wire then the one that came with the external. Plugging into the Maximus X Hero 10gb USB-A gets me 10gbs READ and WRITE.

10gb/s Premium USB-C -> USB-A : 1GB/s:1GB/s (Read:Write) :clap:

Apple's Macbook Charger USB-C -> USB-C : 480mb/s which was 35-60MB/s :(

10gb/s Premium USB-C -> USB-A -> USB-C : 1GB/s:100MB/s (Read:Write) --- This one was super weird. I have never seen a device slow down so significantly only in one direction. The USB-A -> USB-C adapter I used was the one that is attached to the Sabrent wire, but I still used the 10gb/s Premium USB-C wire from the NVMe to the Adapter. The rest of the Sabrent wire was just hanging there.

Even the "made for Mac" Sonnet Tech Allegro USB 3.1 gen 2 PCI-e card suffers from incorrect reporting in System Information.
Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 8.22.25 AM.png

Source: https://www.sonnettech.com/product/allegro-pro-usb31-pcie.html

Here is my USB 3.1 gen 2 NVMe enclosure in System Information:
Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 8.57.06 AM.png

Here is my USB 3.1 gen 2 NVMe enclosure in Black Magic Disk Speed Test:
Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 9.03.39 PM.png

Hey, guys! I'm having some issues again.

I upgraded to the latest macOS update which went fine. Then I was getting the purple lines during boot. So I saw someone in the update thread say just update WEG and Lilu. I downloaded Hackintool, and updated those kexts with the built-in tool. I also updated AppleALC because why not - it was out of date.

I then updated Clover with the official install package. The config seems to have stayed the same because my theme and hidden drives are the same, and Clover shows the updated bootloader when I get into it.

But, when it actually tries to boot into Mojave, it's just a black screen, and then it reboots. Verbose mode only lasts maybe a second and then reboots. So its hard to see what it's saying. Ideas? How do I fix this?

Edit: Just to be clear, I can boot in via my USB install stick. When I do that, Hackintool says the kexts I updated are up-to-date. So I assume all is well there. So is it a Clover issue? Even when I put in the old config it still won't boot on me.

Edit2: solved. I found the EFI backup in the main drive.

Edit3: So how do I update clover properly then?

Last edited:
Hey, guys! I'm having some issues again.

I upgraded to the latest macOS update which went fine. Then I was getting the purple lines during boot. So I saw someone in the update thread say just update WEG and Lilu. I downloaded Hackintool, and updated those kexts with the built-in tool. I also updated AppleALC because why not - it was out of date.

I then updated Clover with the official install package. The config seems to have stayed the same because my theme and hidden drives are the same, and Clover shows the updated bootloader when I get into it.

But, when it actually tries to boot into Mojave, it's just a black screen, and then it reboots. Verbose mode only lasts maybe a second and then reboots. So its hard to see what it's saying. Ideas? How do I fix this?

Edit: Just to be clear, I can boot in via my USB install stick. When I do that, Hackintool says the kexts I updated are up-to-date. So I assume all is well there. So is it a Clover issue? Even when I put in the old config it still won't boot on me.

Edit2: solved. I found the EFI backup in the main drive.

Edit3: So how do I update clover properly then?

Hi,

I have little understanding of Clover but found out that updating to the latest Clover (via Hackintool, for instance) didn't work for me / caused boot failure. I only use the latest Clover version from the download section of TonyMac.

Good luck.

Hi,

I have little understanding of Clover but found out that updating to the latest Clover (via Hackintool, for instance) didn't work for me / caused boot failure. I only use the latest Clover version from the download section of TonyMac.

Good luck.
Agree! We don't recommend to use the "latest" versions of Clover. Use our version of the "latest" version as we test it. See the Downloads menu.

Hello, i have something wrong with my config. I built my hackintosh mainly for video editing. I use Davinci Resolve 16 and Final cut pro x. The both hung/freeze after 5-15 minutes. Usually it's not even when applying some plugins but just scrolling through videos or playing timeline. Freezes so that audio keeps playing on background and everything is unresponsive. I tried to change from imac pro 1,1 to imac 19,1. Enabled igpu and configured as headless. No luck, only way i can get some work done is in win 10, which is also on same machine. I am all out of ideas and been searching for solutions weeks now.

Hello, i have something wrong with my config. I built my hackintosh mainly for video editing. I use Davinci Resolve 16 and Final cut pro x. The both hung/freeze after 5-15 minutes. Usually it's not even when applying some plugins but just scrolling through videos or playing timeline. Freezes so that audio keeps playing on background and everything is unresponsive. I tried to change from imac pro 1,1 to imac 19,1. Enabled igpu and configured as headless. No luck, only way i can get some work done is in win 10, which is also on same machine. I am all out of ideas and been searching for solutions weeks now.

Please post your EFI folder.

Please try this one.

Awesome, i've been scrolling through videos las 20 minutes, so far so good :). I guess more extensive workday tomorrow will tell. Would be great to know what You did ;).

Thanks alot,
PK

Back