Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Thanks for this write up. In inspired me to build my computer (below), in the works for about 5 months now. Catalina working as well on another partition.

1564390549452.png
1564391833549.png

1564390576567.png
1564390610848.png

1564390649515.png

There is however ONE, and one ONE thing that doesn't work as expected:

1564390728128.png

My USB 3.1 Gen 2 run at 5gbs. That is a 2TB NVMe USB 3.1 Gen 2 device and I can only get 500MB/s out of it since I just can't get that frekin` Bus to 10gbs. My Asus MAXIMUS X HERO (Wifi-AC [wlan card was swapped]) has 2 3.1 Gen 2 ports.

(@pastrychef, in your Gen 2 "proof" on your build page, that image your linking to doesn't show 10gbs. I did however find another of yours that had it. Was that with the PCI-card or ur Strix mobo)

I haven't seen anyone get it 10gbs of this motherboard yet, although I'm sure it's happened.

I'm thinking it has to do with it showing up as AppleUSBXHCIPCI and not ASMedia 3.1 Hub? But I could be totally wrong.

I really want to make a build page I just want this last thing working so bad before. Other than that, it's stable as a rock 8086k@ 4.9Ghz and 3200mhz and a 0 AVX offset @ 1.245V (+- 0.01v ?) on Windows (Ran Prime95 for 4 days straight), Arch Linux :), Mojave, and now also Catalina (all on Clover).

I have not made custom usb mappings. Shame on me I know, but I will soon. usbInjectAll just made it too easy. I don't believe that could be the reason since it's mostly to disable unused mappings.

Anyone who has a Maximus X Hero like @Stork and I, and have USB 3.1 Gen 2 10gbs speed working, let me know please :)

(@pastrychef, in your Gen 2 "proof" on your build page, that image your linking to doesn't show 10gbs. I did however find another of yours that had it. Was that with the PCI-card or ur Strix mobo)

I used motherboard USB 3.1 gen 2 for my testing.

Don't worry about what System Information shows you. Most of the time, what it shows will be incorrect for USB 3.1 gen 2. Confirm with actual speed tests.

I used motherboard USB 3.1 gen 2 for my testing.

Don't worry about what System Information shows you. Most of the time, what it shows will be incorrect for USB 3.1 gen 2. Confirm with actual speed tests.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah I understand that, but Blackmagic confirms :( ...

1564393094261.png

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah I understand that, but Blackmagic confirms :( ...

View attachment 419145

What device are you using to test?

When I did my tests, I used an NVMe SSD with an NVMe to USB 3.1 gen 2 enclosure.

Don't expect standard SATA SSD to go much further than the speeds you are seeing.

What device are you using to test?

When I did my tests, I used an NVMe SSD with an NVMe to USB 3.1 gen 2 enclosure.

Don't expect standard SATA SSD to go much further than the speeds you are seeing.

I think we have the same exact one actually because there both "J-Micron".

A Sebrent NVMe to USB 3.1 Gen 2 enclosure and inside sits a Intel 660p 2TB NVMe SSD. It's QLC, but still should easily achieve over 1GB/s.

I think we have the same exact one actually because there both "J-Micron".

A Sebrent NVMe to USB 3.1 Gen 2 enclosure and inside sits a Intel 660p 2TB NVMe SSD. It's QLC, but still should easily achieve over 1GB/s.

Yes, it appears to be the same. Idk why you are not getting correct speeds. There's nothing to configure for Z370 USB 3.1 gen 2.

Hey guys. I'm going nuts trying to get my Firewire card working. I know it should work OOB, which is why it's so frustrating. I've tried three different boards including the Syba that Stork uses with the same result. My motherboard is the Hero Code, otherwise my build is virtually identical to Stork's. I'm running Mojave.
The board comes up on boot and I can see it in the system profile as long as there are no powered up devices on the FW. However when I power up a device on the Firewire, the system hard crashes after about 5 seconds. This is true for a FW disk and the digital mixing board that I would really like to make work.
My instinct is that it's a IRQ conflict, but the BIOS provides no IRQ tools. I've tried all the PCI slots with no joy. I do have the WiFi/BT board as well as the graphics card installed. I'm no noob to Hackintoshes, but I'll gladly swallow my troubleshooting pride if someone will give me the tip to solve this bugger.
Thanks in advance!

Rich

Hey guys. I'm going nuts trying to get my Firewire card working. I know it should work OOB, which is why it's so frustrating. I've tried three different boards including the Syba that Stork uses with the same result. My motherboard is the Hero Code, otherwise my build is virtually identical to Stork's. I'm running Mojave.
The board comes up on boot and I can see it in the system profile as long as there are no powered up devices on the FW. However when I power up a device on the Firewire, the system hard crashes after about 5 seconds. This is true for a FW disk and the digital mixing board that I would really like to make work.
My instinct is that it's a IRQ conflict, but the BIOS provides no IRQ tools. I've tried all the PCI slots with no joy. I do have the WiFi/BT board as well as the graphics card installed. I'm no noob to Hackintoshes, but I'll gladly swallow my troubleshooting pride if someone will give me the tip to solve this bugger.
Thanks in advance!

Rich
Try replacing your kexts/plugin in System/L/E with the ones from my Mojave install. (ZIP Attached).
The running: `sudo kextcache -i /` in terminal after. Restarting, then giving it another go.

After that, I would try the FixFirewire in Clover - ACPI.

The fact that it shows up but then crashes after connect seems odd.
Have you looked in the Console Event log to see why it crashes? That might be a good first step.

Also, and lastly, someone mentioned something about this one working for them:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WCT5HK/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Not sure though, as I haven't tested any.

Attachments

• 10.14.6-FirewireKexts.zip
    736.1 KB · Views: 75
Hi, I'm having a few issues with an otherwise ok install.

I have an 8700K, HERO X, and a Pulse RX 580. The 580 is apparently one of the early part numbers, even though I just picked it up at Micro Center the other day. Graphics works basically out of the box, with one exception: I've been running into the Preview/Quicklook issue. How would I fix this? Also, what SMBIOS is best for this build? Do I need lilu/whatevergreen/injectati with the early RX 580? I wasn't sure if OP was throwing that in for later revisions.

Thanks

Last edited:
@tripletw, I'm using the latest versions of the AppleALC, Luli and WhateverGreen kexts, and the SMBIOS is iMac18,3. WhateverGreen will detect the correct FrameBuffer. However, after installing the latest version of the three kexts, use DCPIManager to check your FrameBuffer as I showed in Post #1, post installation section. (See also Post #342.)

Note: the OP has not been updated to Mojave fresh install, yet. But, the High Sierra procedures will work for Mojave. (See Post #442 for how I updated to Mojave from High Sierra.)

Back