Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Sometimes its crashing, sometimes slowing down like a crawl...
How can I check on console?
When it crashes, be sure to copy the crash logs.

You can use Spotlight to look for "console" and launch it. Do this when the system is running slow. See what's out of the ordinary.

Motherboard
ASUS Rog Maximus IX Hero
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Not bad, once you break the code. I did the following:
- Add the FBName = Orinoco and Inject > ATI=true & Intel=True to config.plist which you can do with Clover Configurator​
Code:
    <key>Graphics</key>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    <dict>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]        <key>FBName</key>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]        <string>Orinoco</string>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]        <key>Inject</key>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]        <dict>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]            <key>ATI</key>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]            <true/>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]            <key>Intel</key>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]            <true/>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]            <key>NVidia</key>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]            <false/>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]        </dict>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    </dict>[/INDENT]
[INDENT]
:thumbup:
Hi @Stork I'm a little big confused about the instructions (excuse my ignorance). When you say: "Add the FBName" do you mean by opening the config.plist in text editor? I ask because you go on to say that it's possible to do this in Clover Configurator. I'm trying to locate this option but don't see it. My code looks like this:​
Code:
    <key>Graphics</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Inject</key>
        <dict>
            <key>ATI</key>
            <false/>
            <key>Intel</key>
            <false/>
            <key>NVidia</key>
            <false/>
        </dict>
    </dict>
But my screenshot shows Orinoco. Again, I may have understood what you're trying to say here.

Attachments

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
@luckyal, You may have "lucked out" as your FrameBuffer is correct for the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse, which means that the RX 580 has a part # that macOS uses. So, you don't need to fool with the FrameBuffer. :thumbup: But, unfortunately, I can't help you as my system just worked, and I have no knowledge about your problem(s).

Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS HERO X Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 960
Just wanted to say a big thank you to Stork for the guide. I shifted from Mac to PC earlier last year and bought the Maximus Hero board after seeing the guide here. The plan was to get the PC up and running then install OSX at a later date on another drive.

Well, last week I finally followed the guide and got it up and running pretty easily. The only issues I had were regarding booting without the USB, and Nvidia drivers not working.

The booting issue was fixed by disabling secure boot. You had this in your guide but I couldn’t figure out how to do it! Once I figured out I needed to delete the “boot keys” all was fine. The Nvidia issue was sorted by updating OSX then going opening the OS X drive EFI and turning off the Nvidia disable thingy in Clover.

Everything’s working happily now. Sleep, iMessage, audio etc. Thanks!

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Motherboard
Dell Inspiron 530
CPU
Q9650
Graphics
GTX 750 Ti
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iMac, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
You know what drives me crazy about these builds is the limit of 32GB RAM. I run 128 on my older 2009 Mac Pro (firmware upped to 2010), and it seems to do better than my implementation of your previous version of this model build. Any way to get some benchmarks of how a build like this with the limited RAM would compare against an older fully decked out Mac Pro model with the larger amounts of RAM? I realize that on smaller tasks and with many users the less RAM is fine... Maybe the bus improvements are enough to trump the memory. I'd just like to find something more tangible to really understand the lay of the land because these new 6 core i7 processors are really attractive.........

Motherboard
ASUS Rog Maximus IX Hero
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
You know what drives me crazy about these builds is the limit of 32GB RAM. I run 128 on my older 2009 Mac Pro (firmware upped to 2010) and it seems to do better than my implementation of your previous version of this model build. Any way to get some benchmarks of how a build like this with the limited RAM would compare against an older fully decked out Mac Pro model with the larger amounts of RAM? I realize that on smaller tasks and with many users the less RAM is fine... Maybe the bus improvements are enough to trump the memory. I'd just like to find something more tangible to really understand the lay of the land because these new 6 core i7 processors are really attractive.........
I'm running 64GB just fine. Honestly I'm not even sure how useful 128GB of RAM really is in a non-server application.

Attachments

Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS HERO X Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 960
Yes, the Z370 boards can take a max of 64GB of RAM, which is plenty for most folk.

My previous machine was the same 2009 Mac Pro (firmware to 2010, CPU upgrade) as you Yllapilate. The 8700K feels like a significant step up to me. I use it as a composing rig, so I use piles and piles of RAM.
I seem to remember doing a Geekbench test on both machines and the single core test being about 3x what I got from the Mac Pro, while the multi core score was a minor increase.

Motherboard
ASUS Rog Maximus IX Hero
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Yes, the Z370 boards can take a max of 64gb of RAM, which is plenty for most folk.

My previous machine was the same 2009 Mac Pro (firmware to 2010, CPU upgrade) as you Yllapilate. The 8700K feels like a significant step up to me. I use it as a composing rig, so I use piles and piles of RAM.
I seem to remember doing a Geekbench test on both machines and the single core test being about 3x what I got from the Mac Pro, while the multi core score was a minor increase.
What kind of composing? Audio? Logic Pro X? I have a current project - all software instruments, Omnisphere, Symphobia, over 30 orchestral sounds alone loaded + multi-channel drums from SD3, for a grand total of 68 tracks, and I'm at about 66% of my RAM usage. CPU is about 70 when all plugs are engaged including some finalizer stuff. I'm doing a lot of composin,g, and I'm never even coming close to what you're saying you use.